It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:56

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Cane
Post 05 Jun 2012, 12:48 • #76 
Master Guide
I'm going to get into this too much, but it comes down to taper and weight distribution. Two friends where casting one of my newly designed 8'6" 3/2 5wt cane rods on Saturday at the house. It balances with a Hardy LHR well (fine for me) and just a bit better to some people with a Pfluger 1494. The rod weights around 4 oz finished. It is not heavy and is very crisp, but loads close and can reach out and touch the other side of the river if needed.

I will agree that some cane rods at 8.5ft are very heavy in hand and the swing weight and fulcrum point can be trying.

Post 05 Jun 2012, 14:23 • #77 
Master Guide
I seriously glad that people have so many varied opinions & perferences.

This way, some folks like rods that are different than the one's I like - and so it helps keep the demand and prices down!

I still have the 5 foot solid glass baitcast rod with pot-metal handle and the H-I Bakalite fly reel attached to it that I used as a kid 55 years ago. The original line is still on it - black braided something - I think it actually backing. I'd attach a mono snelled #8 hook - "loop thru the loop" - and I'd be all set.

Casting distance? Who needed any stinkin' casting distance when I'd just sneak along the steep hill along the bank - holding on to the trees & brush - and flip it out. The adults were too chicken & were afraid they fall in from that side.

And so what if your hands smelled like fish and had worm dirt under the fingernails. ... that peanut butter & jelly s'mich tasted great.

Nosireee, those adults with their fancy fishing gear didn't out-fish me! And if they hollered at me for scaring the fish, I'd really steam them off by p*ssing right in the creek. Who cared? -they were all afraid they'd fall in anyway, the peckers.

Ivory colored solid glass rod, pot metal handle, bakalite reel, backing for line. ... it all worked great. ... as long as I had those invisable mono snelled hooks!

Post 06 Jun 2012, 19:14 • #78 
Master Guide
Speaking for myself, I wish more fishermen would replace their vintage FG with Graphite ... and then sell these unfashionable and unwanted relics to the unenlightened few, myself included, for an inexpensive sum. :lol

Personally, I have gradually replaced all but one of my graphite rods less than 8.5' with fiberglass. That one graphite I like to fish with is an 8' 5 weight Orvis full flex. It feels like fiberglass. I think it's rather telling that the graphite I like is prefered because it feels like fiberglass. :P But anyway, when properly balanced, I find that the my 8.5' fiberglass is more comfortable to cast than my 8.5' graphite. I rarely use a 9' rod, but I have a graphite broomstick ready for stripers. However, I do like my LL Bean Double L 10' 6 weight for fishing streamers and nymphs in lakes and reservoirs. It's said to be a medium action, and once I get used to the length, it can cast some serious distance and yet still be easy on the arm.

Post 07 Jun 2012, 09:31 • #79 
Master Guide
Standman,
I don't think you like your Orvis because it feels like fiberglass but that it's a medium action full working rod.

One can tell from the feeling of mass immediately that it is either Bamboo/Fiberglass or graphite.
They do not feel the same at all while fishing.

Post 07 Jun 2012, 12:24 • #80 
Master Guide
rsagebrush,I'm sure you're right on all counts. When it comes to fly rods, I don't get too tied up with the technicals. I just know what I likes and I likes to fish with what I likes regardless of the material.

Post 09 Jun 2012, 06:24 • #81 
Sport
Another thought: One thing I haven't seen emphasized yet is not just that graphite is lighter, but importantly that this lightness enabled longer rods to become practical. Longer rods have advantages in many situations. In recent years, the advantage of length has been demonstrated by the various Euro nymphing methods where 10+ ft rods are advantageous. But also every time I'm in a float tube low down in the water, I appreciate my longer rods. So my point is that it's not just the lighter weight of graphite, but its ability to make increased length more effective.

- Jack

Post 16 Jun 2012, 11:31 • #82 
Master Guide
Thank you all mates for very interesting consideration I agree very much.
Every day more I love FFR.

Uncle Ben

Post 17 Jun 2012, 14:09 • #83 
Guide
Weirdly, it was never a question for me, even though I only started fly fishing a few years ago when glass rods were pretty much gone. (I have chucked bait and lures since i was 4.) My favorite smallmouth rod was an older Shakespeare fiberglass casting rod, and i liked the slower action and it seemed less "snag prone" for bumping a worm or crawfish bait along the breakwalls here on Lake Erie. I still have it, and still like it!

I knew I wanted to fish nymphs and wets. I have had a couple graphite fly rods, and like the graphite casting rods, felt less "nice" in my hand when bouncing a nymph through the rocks.

I cant afford bamboo ... so glass it is, and even if i could, I think id still want my current stable of rods. Im happy that decent glass rods are affordable (for now) too. I tie flies on a Thomspon Model A made sometime before I was born. It does what I want and I like using it, like my rods. Ill buy another Thompson A when (IF) it breaks. Ill buy another FF75 when (IF) mine breaks (well, probably before, as a spare!) Until a 500$+ rod somehow makes me a better caster, better at detecting strikes, better at mending my line ... I wont buy one.

Post 18 Jun 2022, 22:05 • #84 
Master Guide
whrlpool wrote:
"The guide thinks 'glass is weak." Another brain the size of a pea.

I laughed so hard at this ..,

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply