It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Mar 2011, 17:49 • #1 
I am curious as to how fiberglass blanks are made. Can anyone lead me to books or sources for how to make or lay up a fiberglass blank" It seems that in my many decades on this earth I have seen a book or two with a chapter or two but I cannot seem to find anything on the subject. I am a bit curious if it something I could actually do.

Post 25 Mar 2011, 18:35 • #2 
Administrator
Spencer DT just posted this thread with a link to a video showing the process for building a graphite rod. The material is different, but the steps are basically the same.

Mark Steffen has been rolling blanks in his shop for years with far less gear than shown in that video. However, it takes some serious practice to get good at it. Unlike cane rod building, there no books explaining in detail how to build glass/graphite rods. There especially aren't any books that explain how to relate the pattern cut from the fiberglass cloth to the final rod taper.

If you haven't built a rod on a pre-made blank yet, that is the best place to start. That will give you an idea how the feel changes on going from a bare blank to a completed rod.

Tom

Post 26 Mar 2011, 05:04 • #3 
That is a very good video. I have used fiberglass a little here and there mostly for customizing/repairing auto bodies. I can see in the video where graphite would be fairly simple. I suspect fiberglass would be a whole lot different. I guess i am just a curious type and would like to know more about the process for fiberglass. I can see where the graphite she was an easy roll. I wonder if they make a similar sheet of glass that could be rolled the same way.

Post 26 Mar 2011, 07:23 • #4 
Guide
I would guess that most, if not all, tubular rods built today use a variation of the Conolon/Havens process where resin-impregnated fiber (glass, carbon, etc.) cloth is wrapped around a tapered steel mandrel, degassed, and cured. Glass prepreg cloth is readily available in rolls. While seemingly simple, there is a lot to consider when designing a fly rod. Finding the right material, taper, length, wall thickness, and diameter, all the while maintaining durability, is the magic of rod design. A book you might be interested in is "The Technology of Fly Rods" by Don Phillips. It's not a how-to book, but gives an in-depth overview and history of the entire process.

Post 26 Mar 2011, 14:28 • #5 
Guide
I don't know a thing about wrapping glass fiber but by looking at an unsanded blank it would appear to be wrapped like a strip of gauze around the mandrel and then fused or impregnated with resin. this tho would seem to have the fibers running the wrong way. I would think to get the fibers running length-wise it would have to be done like the graphite video.Or maybe the "wrapping marks are from the plastic sheet that it is wrapped with. To get the shape is a simple matter or calculating the circumference of the mandrel at both ends and then measure that out on the sheet to accomadate the number of wraps it will make around the mandrel.

Post 27 Mar 2011, 12:38 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The newest issue of Fly Rod and Reel has an article on this exact topic.

Post 27 Mar 2011, 12:44 • #7 
Master Guide
That article was well done, Zach Matthews I believe.

Post 27 Mar 2011, 12:50 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/reply/15280/how-glass-blanks-are-made#reply-15280

Post 27 Mar 2011, 14:06 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
caveman2533 wrote:[/b wrote:
Or maybe the "wrapping marks are from the plastic sheet that it is wrapped with.
Bingo.

Post 28 Mar 2011, 00:50 • #10 
Inactive
I think the biggest hurdle would be finding glass pre-preg. Most places want a min order of $10,000 plus. You can sometimes find small quantities, but generally it is heavier cloth or dry (no resin).

Mandrels are also expensive. Precision ground ones are probably $300 each and you would most likely need a min of two different ones, one for tips and one for butts.

It could be done though. I am hoping to have a slide show of the process at some point. If that ever happens I will post for you guys to see.

Post 29 Mar 2011, 03:09 • #11 
I really appreciate all the input. Having been an Industrial Arts teacher and now retired I am looking for some shop time; just gotta get my fix. I would love to see what the other builders are doing. I might have to call them and see if they would show me their digs.
I have found a couple interesting things. I really liked an old Garcia video I found on Youtube. I also found that Lynco Grinding Co. makes mandrels. I would think with all the rod makers folding there would be some mandrels around. It does look like a pretty big process for a garage shop but I suspect it could be done. I kinda doubt that Steffen, McFarland, Morgan and crew have industrial looking equipment although I really don't have a clue. I doubt that I will try one but hey, I just never know when and where a wild hair might sprout. At any rate I am finding the reading and videos interesting.

Post 29 Mar 2011, 09:23 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
[b]BoJonJovi] I kinda doubt that Steffen, McFarland, Morgan and crew have industrial looking equipment although I really don't have a clue.

Mark Steffen sure does since he rolls his own blanks and now Mike McFarland does too.

One thing the article in Fly Rod and Reel did for me is that it made me want to fish my bamboo more often.

Post 30 Mar 2011, 01:33 • #13 
I really do not know why I thought they would not have an industrial looking shop. Heck, I do wood working and have heavy industrial machinery. These are the tools that fuel men's desires. Of course they would have the best stuff they could afford to practice their craft.

Post 30 Mar 2011, 01:48 • #14 
Administrator
Mark Steffen succeeds with tooling he made himself. After learning to build rods on other peoples blanks, he decided that he wanted to build his own. He has developed his shop with ingenuity and perseverance. Mark makes some of the straightest rod blanks I have seen.

Mike McFarland works with gear that was originally in the DiamondBack facility in Vermont. Still, he had to build his own curing oven and find a new shop that would hold the rolling table.

Of course, if you have the skills and the machinery, there may be something you can provide to one of these gents and take payment in rod blanks ... Both Mark and Mike are known for their ability to customize rod tapers.

Tom

Post 22 Aug 2022, 10:08 • #15 
Guide
Similar to another thread I just posted on... I was looking around trying to learn more about how blanks are made. Found this thread in the archives. This forum continues to be a great resource. Thanks for all who help make it what it is.

Post 15 Sep 2022, 20:37 • #16 
Sport
Anyone have a source for the heat shrink cellophane tape seen in these videos? Thx.

Post 17 Sep 2022, 11:44 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
This just came out of Google:

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/composites-shrink-tape

https://www.google.com/search?q=heat+shrink+tape+for+composites&oq=shrink+tape+for+composites+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30.18110j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

New Topic Add Reply