It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Dec 2007, 08:57 • #1 
Just bought this rod on ebay, owner said it was brand new? does anyone know when the rod was made? says line for it is HDH, I gues its a 6wt I had to pay thrugh the nose for it. I always wanted one years ago, but didnt have the money then. I paid the princley some of $101.50 Did I get stuck? I love old fly rods & have owned some of the best , Paynes Lenords, T&t Orvis, and others , but I always love the Heddon line of can & bambo. My altime favorite rod that I use know is a 3Piece 8 ft winston for a 3 grafite , with a 1a peerless reel. love to find out more about my old heddon 8 ft deluxe glass rod, Fred. I live in New Jersey & fish the poconos, & the catskills

Post 28 Dec 2007, 10:03 • #2 
Administrator
Fred,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

You did good with that auction. You didn't get stuck and you didn't get a steal. I have an 8 foot, Heddon #70 for which I happily paid $65. Unlike yours, I didn't get the original bag or tube and mine is a lot more beat up. The Heddon Pal label tends to get chipped and nicked. In the photo in your auction, the label looks pristine. More important, the male ferrule in the auction photo looks completely black. That is a great indication that the ferrule should fit tightly. Mine takes a good dose of wax to make it fit. These rods have a precision fit, blackened, aluminum ferrule that wears out with abuse. Make sure you clean the ferrule with a Q-tip and some mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol before you use the rod - there's years of dust and dirt in there.

The Heddon Pal #70 was made in the mid 50s when Heddon was still making great cane rods. In some respects, there is a similar feel. The #70 is a very full flexing rod with a slow, elegant tempo. I think it is great with double taper 5 and 6 weight lines (try both before you decide). The #70 is a two piece rod and feels much nicer than the 8 foot, three piece. This is a rod that benefits from a heavier reel of 5-6 oz. A Medalist or an older Young really look good on these rods!

Is the rod new? Well, no. It's 50 years old. But it is really rare to see one of these with the tube, bag, and excellent condition of yours. I can't tell from the photo if the two rod sections are the same length. If they are, like the seller claims, then you bought a keeper.

Tom

Post 28 Dec 2007, 10:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome to this wonderful place.
There are several factors to consider, at least, several that I consider when I buy fly fishing gear.
1. money
2. esthetic appeal - how pretty is the rod or reel?
3. condition of the gear
4. fun factor using it
5. collector value

You want to get a good deal and the seller want to make some money. Makes sense. I have gotten taken only once and that really was my fault. Lesson learned.

I don't buy or fish rods and reels that do not appeal to me. I want nice-looking fishing gear. I want to look at my Heddon Pal (and I do often) and say, "Yes"! Have lots of fun matching a reel to your rod and choosing a line for them.

Your rod appears to be in good shape and that was just addressed in the previous post.

I want to enjoy fishing my gear. The rod has to feel good with the reel I chose for it and I have to enjoy the casting and playing the fish.

Maybe someday you will want to sell the rod for money to buy something of higher value. The value of your Pal will not diminish over time.

So, you did fine.

Paul

Post 28 Dec 2007, 10:37 • #4 
Hi Rockthief; Iam 73 years old & a retired police officer. When I first saw these rods in stores, when I was in my 20 s I did not have the money to get one. I was making $4100.00 a year. I bought the rod for a back up & for fishing wet flies. I always liked its looks. I guess I should hang a pfluger 1894 reel on it as it would funny with a LRH Hardy or better. I almost bought a diamondglass 8ft 6 for a 4 wt but none are available, that would have cost me $ 325.00 I still like the way the Heddon looks. Did heddon ever make a 7ft 6in. rod like mine? And how hard would that little gem be to find? Thanks for your thuoghts FRED

Post 28 Dec 2007, 10:46 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Fred, I think that 1894 would look dandy on the Pal. I put a Martin 67A (for one) on mine. I cannot address your question about the shorter rod. Someone will, though.
Go to the home page on the forum and scroll down to the Fiberglass Wiki heading. Click on there and enjoy and explore. Tons and tons of useful glass infor here.

Post frequently - I expect there is a lot I could learn from you. I am only 60. ;)
Paul

Post 28 Dec 2007, 11:02 • #6 
Hi Paul Iam some what of a fly tier, If you have any trouble with a certain that you like, I would be glad to tie them for you , So long as they arnt too small , I dont like to tie smaller than # 14, because of my old ass eyes, I tie mostly catskill types & I make a pretty good parachute adams hi vis. Thanks again Fred

Post 28 Dec 2007, 11:58 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
i have the 7' 6" version so it would not be hard to find.

JUST HARD TO GET.

Post 28 Dec 2007, 13:36 • #8 
Hi Larry ; I come across lots of glass rods in my area of N.J. I was surprised that there is so many people interestered in this stuff. I bought mine only because I just liked its looks, & wanted something in my trunk in case i broke my winston. It would seem to be a good slow wet fly rod? Thanks Fred

Post 28 Dec 2007, 14:36 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
yea, the 7 1/2 version is very slow and deep bending. it is not a casting powerhouse but it roll casts very well. i use a 4wt with it even though it is marked HEH which would be a five. on the streams i fish it is certainly an adequate and pleasant casting rod that will cast just the furled leader and tipet.

start gathering up some of the lighter glass you find and if you can't use it you can always pass it on on this board.

Post 03 Sep 2021, 12:37 • #10 
Sport
I'm hopping onto this discussion, maybe 13 years later, but I just purchased an early '50s Heddon Pal #70 Deluxe 8' 2 piece. The writing is almost gone, but under the dirt and dark varnish I can make out "Heddo Pa" and "70" in black script on the dark brown blank. It does have the characteristic brown wraps with gold tipping, and also the black machined Heddon ferrules, and the featherweight cigar grip. Before I seriously clean this up and take pictures, I'd like to know if I can tell which line the rod was designed for based on the male ferrule diameter, like one can with the older bamboo rods? The male ferrule measures 18/64. Is this the "Trout" or "Bass" model? I bet I'm not the only one out there that still loves these old 1st genertation Heddon fiberglass rods. After I tape on a replacement stripping guide and a couple of others, I'm planning on doing some lawn casting for Colorado Green and Brown Striped Turf Trout this afternoon.

Post 03 Sep 2021, 12:53 • #11 
Guide
I like Heddon rods in general..they were always good quality and have nice cosmetics.

I spent my teenage years, then a few college as well, in the Catskills..went to HS on the banks of the Esopus River in Boiceville, NY

Living in the west for many years, I assume there will be wind on the waters, so like rods with a bit more backbone, and Heddon, Phillipson, Granger (Wright-McGill), Orvis, Silaflex and a few other production rods seem to fish well, both in cane and glass.

Post 03 Sep 2021, 15:35 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I’d go ahead and take and post pictures now. You can still do a before/after, and someone may be able to answer your questions as is.
I don’t have any real knowledge, but do have a 7’6” #55 trout that’s recommended for “E HEH” that does well with a 5wt, sometimes a 4, depending. If your rod is a Trout model (which would be my uneducated guess from the cigar grip), I’d guess an 8’ rod would be 5/6.

Post 03 Sep 2021, 17:07 • #13 
Administrator
jimmymac448 wrote:
I can make out "Heddo Pa" and "70" in black script on the dark brown blank. Is this the "Trout" or "Bass" model?

It is usually better to start a new discussion than add to a 13 year old thread.

There is a great collection of catalog photos pinned to the top of this forum. Many thanks to Wrong88 for putting this together. The catalogs from the 50s will contain your rod.

Some years Heddon made the #70, 8 foot rod in both Trout and Bass. Most years, just Trout. If the remains of the label don't state Bass, it was probably the Trout version. The rod was made before the AFTMA standards, so try a couple of lines and see what you like best. That is the best way to match a rod and line anyway. I would start with a #5 and #6 and go from there.

Tom

Post 04 Sep 2021, 12:46 • #14 
Sport
Hi, I don't post much or spend a lot of time here just get busy with other things. I do have love for Heddon fiberglass and own a few. The Mention of the words Heddon "Pal" always gets my attention.
The 7 1/2 rods are really nice and fairly light for the time they were made. I have one marked Thorobred and it is wrapped red tipped black line is HEH or E i think. It is noticeably lighter than my 8ft 2 pc Black Beauty and the rod I reach for when I want to fish a Heddon. I wish you the best with your new 'Pal' rod and have fun in your collecting. Paul in OR

Post 05 Sep 2021, 09:09 • #15 
Piscator
Heddon Trout tapers are super-progressive dry fly rods, and shine at that chore.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 21:36 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
That 8 footer is a great one... it has lots of capabilities.. and will protect very light tippets..

Post 09 Sep 2021, 02:19 • #17 
Master Guide
Jimmymac448,
I love the old heddons..
All the pre 1955 Heddon tubular rods were line rated D(6) or E(5)
Except the 9ft salmon rod which was C(7) or D(6).

The 53 catalog has the fly rod/line chart
Here’s my T30 8.5ft D or E line rated

Only in 1955 Heddon offered rod sizes 7.5ft ,8ft or 8.5ft in trout and bass action
The 7 ft rod was trout action only ,the 9ft rod was bass action only .
But in 56 onward
Trout action rods were 8.5ft ,8ft,7.5ft,and 7ft
Bass action rods were only offered in 8.5ft and 9ft ..
In 57 they dropped the 7ft rod from the catalog.

But the 56 heddon catalog fly rod chart lists The following specs
8ft trout action 3-3/4oz D/HDH (6) line rating
8ft bass action 4-3/4oz C/HCH (7) line rating
But no listing in the catalog of any 8ft rods in Bass action..
Ahh it’s gets so confusing sometimes..lol

Put that rod on a postal scale .
If it’s an 8ft #70 Bass action rod, you may have Somewhat of Heddon “unicorn” ...
Looking forward to to seeing some pics of your rod.

Post 10 Sep 2021, 00:41 • #18 
Sport
Ottobahn,
Thanks for all the great information and pictures, those are beautiful rods. Mine is definitely in rougher condition, and I'll have to wrap both the stripping guide and the next guide on the butt section, both are missing, and two guides on the tip section. Other guides, tip top, and hook keeper/winding check are in OK shape. Interestingly, the 8' two section rod weighs in at between 4.7 and 4.8 oz, so based on your information, it is a Bass model. More interesting, is the fiberglass blank itself. I'm familiar with the mid to later 1950's Heddons with the brown speckeled natural color which Heddon continued to use on Mark IV rods until the early 1960s, like the rods in your pictures. The blank on my rod is much darker, almost a deep purple, even with a light rub with DNA. I've owned more than a few of the 1950's Heddons, but this one is different from them. Then again, it might be age and exposure. This rod pre-dates the rods with the label decals and white script specs that can be seen in the later 1950's catalogs. The wraps and tipping sparkle with a little cleaning. It has the black machined ferrules too. I'll try and put up a picture or two maybe Friday or Saturday if I can follow the directions.

Post 11 Sep 2021, 15:31 • #19 
Sport
Sorry to hijack, not my intention, but glad to see this thread about Heddon Pals. They are one of my favorite older fiberglass rods. Just got this one a few months ago, after spending some time trying to find one. It needs some work, a couple of rewraps, and the ferrule wraps have been redone, but not very well, so I'll do those too. It did come with its correct bag, but no tube unfortunately.

I assume this must be 1955 or possibly 1956?

New Topic Add Reply