It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:31

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Rod Storage Solution
Post 11 Apr 2009, 04:40 • #1 
Emeritus
The biggest problem I have as a "collector", is figuring out what to do with all the rods and tubes I have accumulated. I'm sure everyone has their own system that they are comfortable with that keeps their rods safe and handy. Mine was stacking them in every corner of my cave. (My wife wasn't too pleased about the "clutter."

For those of you who are still struggling with a solution, I thought I would post a photo of my final solution. This is a corner rod rack sold by Cabelas. It is about 26" wide and has holes that are 3" in diameter; more than wide enough to hold rod tubes. The rack holds 16 rod tubes. If you have rods that are tubeless, you can fit several rods in one hole. The rack is good quality wood and only takes about 15 minutes to put together. The price was $79 plus shipping.

dcp_1414-1.jpg

rod storage solution
Post 11 Apr 2009, 07:43 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
That's the rack I plan to purchase as well.

Some people haved noted that the holes are too large for some tubes and make them a little unstable. I was planning on finding some type of foam ring to decrease the diameter size a bit.

Some have also noted that some multi-piece rods tubes are too short to span the 2 holes. Can you tell me the distance between the 2 levels?

rod storage solution
Post 11 Apr 2009, 09:49 • #3 
Emeritus
Doc, there is 20" between the bottom and top level. As you can tell from the photo, I've got two multipiece rods in the front row that fit fine. The holes are too large for some tubes. None of my tubes are 3", so there is space around the tubes for wobble. It seems that once you start filling holes, the tubes don't wobble much. I have several rods that don't have tubes yet, so I just put them all in one hole.

The only tube that doesn't fit is one for carrying two rods but it fits behind and leans against the rack. I really like this setup a lot. It doesn't take up much room and I feel that the rods have got more protection then they used to have. After reading the reviews, I noticed that several familiar names here on the board have them as well.

rod storage solution
Post 11 Apr 2009, 11:27 • #4 
Administrator
Howard ... the new rack looks great! (I think that is the first time I've ever said that to a fellow. HA ... ) So I guess the "Gear Room" is all tidy now?

rod storage solution
Post 11 Apr 2009, 12:16 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Why wouldn't you want to look at the beautiful rods instead of the ugly beat up tubes? I have four of the racks shown below, and, if your rods aren't longer than 8 ft and your ceiling height is right ... it works and you get to look at them every day!

Donny

rod storage solution
Post 11 Apr 2009, 16:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
paveglass wrote:
Why wouldn't you want to look at the beautiful rods instead of the ugly beat up tubes?

3 young children, a nearly blind dog, and a way too curious cat that loves to attack the tip sections of rods (after watching me waggle rods periodically). Image

rod storage solution
Post 12 Apr 2009, 00:10 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I keep most of mine handy at the expense of style. I hang those that are getting less regular use. Others I put horizontally on gunrack style racks, easily made from narrow strips of wood fitted with small dowel pegs or the strip bookshelf wall straps with small hangers inserted. At any given time, the two or three I'm using daily are left set up and placed horizontally across whatever is handy, generally a bookshelf, but pegs on the rafters or a suspended U-shape rack is also good. I have little use for rod tubes except for transport and rarely use them for that either. At the risk of ruffling some feathers, just a point about storing rods in tubes. Damage this way is not too likely, but it is the most likely way to damage a rod in storage, especially if the rod has been put away wet and not removed and dried and then put back. If the temperature and humidity is variable in the storage location, or sunlight is on and off the tubes, fittings, varnish, and cork may suffer. Both the tube and the bag can hold humidity and heat. If I stored my rods in tubes, at the very least I'd leave the caps off or loosely fit, and drill a few vent holes in the bottom end cap, radially around the bottom and the same at the top. Rods not in tubes, no matter the rack style, also shouldn't be unnecessarily exposed to variable direct sunlight, not a big deal either, but still removes one potential source of damage. Of course rods are used outside in sunlight, but they are well ventilated and continuously changed in position relative to the sun.. The concentration of direct rays on a stored rod in fixed position, although not as bad as when a rod is left in a car, can cause damage, at the very least cosmetic by cooking one side of the rod and not the other.

rod storage solution
Post 12 Apr 2009, 03:41 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Whrlpool; I love it!somebody as sloppy as me! I cleaned up about a year ago and I am still looking for stuff. I close the door when i leave the room because my Home general told me if I ever leave it open she's going to come in and tidy up! OH NO!-p-

rod storage solution
Post 12 Apr 2009, 05:46 • #9 
Emeritus
whrlpool, my reasons are much like doc's. Although I love just looking at them when I'm in my cave, I worry about the dog, cat and wife. She threatened to clean my room! Plus, many of my rods are just for looking and not fishing so when I decide to look, it's like unwrapping a Christmas present.

rod storage solution
Post 12 Apr 2009, 07:07 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I guess I'm lucky because my wife (a flyfisher herself) likes the rods as decorations and we have three of the racks in the family room. The fourth is in our place in Colorado.

Donny

rod storage solution
Post 12 Apr 2009, 11:16 • #11 
Master Guide
I think that those corner racks are on sale at Cablelas right now. Plus they have some discount coupons in effect that would reduce the price even more.

Paveglass, you are on to something that would work for me. I live alone so I could use that type of rod rack at home. Do you just use a spin caster rod rack?

I like to have a place where I can hang my rods outside of the sock and tube for a couple days after I fish them. I have one of the simple wall rod racks from Cabelas that worked great for that, but when I moved I don't really have a place for it. But your rod rack would air out my rods and I would have more storage space.

rod storage solution
Post 13 Apr 2009, 03:32 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
These are from Cabelas. I got them a few years ago, around $59, I think. Nothing special to make them for fly rods ... just a rod rack. They also make them with drawers that would be nice for reels. I leave the tubes in the attic until I need one.

Donny

rod storage solution
Post 13 Apr 2009, 04:41 • #13 
Master Guide
Many of the vintage fiberglass rods I buy don't come with rod tubes anyway. So your rod rack would be perfect for those. Also, I've gone to using the rod and reel carriers when I fish and rigging up before I leave home (Thank You Fly Goddess!). The Orvis rod and reel carriers seem to be the best. I have both the two piece and the four piece.

I think that I will see what they have at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. I know I've seem them there sometimes in the past. They might be cheaper than buying through Cabelas.

If I keep a rack in the garage, even the long rods will fit.

rod storage solution
Post 13 Apr 2009, 07:03 • #14 
Emeritus
My wife is a flyfisher as well, but after all, but she's still a woman ... clean, clean, clean. I paid $79 for mine last week at Cabelas. Many of my vintage rods also don't come with tubes, but when I have a few extra bucks, I buy tubes to put them in. (I'm clumsy and walk on the rods when they are not off the floor. If you look at my initial post, I put several rods in socks in one opening until I get a tube.

AG, what is the rod and reel carrier you are talking about?

I wouldn't go to Sportsman's Warehouse looking for much of anything right now. Most are running their shelves bare while they wait for the new/old owner to decide what they are going to do.

rod storage solution
Post 13 Apr 2009, 08:30 • #15 
Guide
Here is what I built. It holds 10 rods. No wife here so I don't have to worry about pleasing anyone.

There is also a box in the corner with overflow rods.
RY

rod storage solution
Post 13 Apr 2009, 09:38 • #16 
Master Guide
cofisher wrote:
My wife is a flyfisher as well, but after all, but she's still a woman ... clean, clean, clean. I paid $79 for mine last week at Cabelas. Many of my vintage rods also don't come with tubes, but when I have a few extra bucks, I buy tubes to put them in. (I'm clumsy and walk on the rods when they are not off the floor. If you look at my initial post, I put several rods in socks in one opening until I get a tube.

AG, what is the rod and reel carrier you are talking about?

I wouldn't go to Sportsman's Warehouse looking for much of anything right now. Most are running their shelves bare while they wait for the new/old owner to decide what they are going to do.
I too buy rod tubes for vintage rods that come without them. I found one source that has both black tubes and silver tubes. I have been buying the black tubes for fiberglass rods and the silver tubes for bamboo rods. I need to order a few for some of the nicer rods I added over the winter.

This is the rod and reel carrier that I am talking about:

http://www.Orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=96G0&dir_id=758&group_id=12295&cat_id=12296&subcat_id=12297

I've tried the similar Sage and Cabelas cases and for me they don't work as well. I kind of like rigging up at home so that I know that my reel will fit in the reelseat of the rod. I have also been known to show up on the water with a reel case with just a spool in it. Plus if I'm launching a pontoon boat it takes me less time to gear up and I'm not blocking the launch point. On a stream I can get on the water faster rather than stand in the parking lot rigging up.

Sorry, I guess it is only this wall rack that is on sale at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ. .. hasJS=true

I have this rack and it works very well for drying rods for a couple of days after fishing them. I just don't have room for it in the garage in the new place. I might be able to put in on the wall in the spare bedroom where I am storing my rods though.

I knew that something was up at Sportsman's Warehouse because they haven't restocked all winter. I remember seeing some rod racks there, but I didn't pay much attention because they were not for fly rods. But if I am going to store some rods without cases, they would probably work. I think that the Alaska SW stores are some that SW is keeping and will continue operating. So when everything settles down they will probably start stocking them again.

rod storage solution
Post 13 Apr 2009, 09:41 • #17 
Master Guide
Eagleman-

That's a really nice rod rack! That would work great, but I don't have the wall space to do something like that.

Are those rods really 10 feet long, or is it just an optical illusion?

rod storage solution
Post 13 Apr 2009, 10:50 • #18 
Guide
AG
must be an illusion. The longest is 9', and the shortest is 6'6". Both Eagle Claw.
RY

rod storage solution
Post 13 Apr 2009, 12:02 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
That's a great wall rack above, similar to those for horizontal gun storage. You can do the same thing so each level holds both rod sections; thus the two pieces need to be, say, two studs (32") apart. I don't have little kids to worry about anymore, but I do have a tail-wagging beagle. My rods hung vertically are up high enough so he can't thwack them. I guess they'd have to be higher to keep out of kids' reach, or just put the room off-limits. Here's an easy way using a rubber band wrapped and passed through itself to form a hanging loop, if you're leary of just slipping the guides over a brad or cup hook:

rod storage solution
Post 14 Apr 2009, 05:28 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I picked up this rolling version to sit in front of a book case and still provide access to all shelves.
It was on sale, which I would recommend; read the comments, and buy your own screws, but all in all a good enough solution if the corner thing doesn't work for you.

Bob

rod storage solution
Post 14 Apr 2009, 14:24 • #21 
Master Guide
Upstreeam wrote:
I picked up this rolling version to sit in front of a book case and still provide access to all shelves.
It was on sale, which I would recommend; read the comments, and buy your own screws, but all in all a good enough solution if the corner thing doesn't work for you.

Bob
I have three of these and they do work well for me. I've been waiting for them to go on sale again to get another.

rod storage solution
Post 14 Apr 2009, 14:49 • #22 
Emeritus
I wish I had an extra wall so I could display my rods like Eagleman does. The one free wall in the house that I can claim as my own is in our "utility room." I already have 8 or so spinning rods hanging there. Now I need for a way to display my reels.

rod storage solution
Post 14 Apr 2009, 23:28 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Arctic Grayling wrote:
I have three of these and they do work well for me. I've been waiting for them to go on sale again to get another.

3 racks x 15 holes = Image + another one when it goes on sale = Image

You're hopeless, AG!

But so am I, it's 5:30 AM and I'm checkin' out FFR. But I just tucked my 2 1/2 yr old back to bed after yet another stomach flu "incident."

rod storage solution
Post 15 Apr 2009, 00:56 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Rod racks are really cool but it just makes it TOO easy for the wife to keep count!

I keep my stash in their tubes stored in rod bags made by Harding & Sons. I have SEVERAL in different sizes and lengths but ALL in the same color. They may not be elegant or classy but it does make it a breeze to slip in a new acquisition! Image

I don't like to keep 'em barefoot & pregnant but keeping SWMBO clueless is a prime objective!

rod storage solution
Post 18 Apr 2009, 20:43 • #25 
Master Guide
Doc-

Don't read this!

I found a pretty good rod rack for uncased rods at Sportsman's Warehouse today. It will hold 16 rods, eight on each side. Even in the garage only rods up to 8' will fit assembled. But the two piece rods work good in the rack unassembled. The cost was around $52 which seemed pretty reasonable compared to what I saw at Cabelas.

I'll leave a few slots empty and use it for drying my rods with cases after I fish them.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply