It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Apr 2009, 10:45 • #1 
Emeritus
I just got a 7 ft 8 inch St Croix Pacemaker that is for 5 or 6 wt line as part of a package deal and it is the strangest thing. Notice that what would normally be the tip section of a 2 piece rod is actually 2 pieces with a ferrule that perfectly matches the one between the tip and but section ... so in essence it is a 3 piece rod, but not three equal pieces.

The butt section and the assembled "other" two pieces are exactly the same length.

I assume this is a repair, but I can't imagine why someone would have went through the time and effort to do this kind of a job.

It's a neat rod with the tobacco color blank with a nice fiber weave in it.

Hopefully someone has one of these to verify that yes ... in fact it should only be two pieces, or I guess to verify that it is a weird three piece.

Thanks in advance for any info on this rod ... for the record, I do plan on selling it, but would like to learn a bit about it first.

Mark B

ImageImage

Last edited by turtledoc on 01 Apr 2009, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Apr 2009, 14:19 • #2 
Administrator
I think someone broke the tip and maybe buggered up the original ferrules while they were at it. The tip ferrules match with the main ferrules. But many St. Croix rods originally had aluminum Sizematic ferrules. The current ferrules appear to be plated brass. There are no wraps at the main ferrules, so I think someone must have replaced them. The tip ferrules are wrapped, but the style is different than the guides. And the tip top probably isn't original either - again there are no wraps at the tip.

Tom

Post 02 Apr 2009, 00:41 • #3 
Emeritus
Thanks Tom ... and you picked up on details in the photos that I did not notice with the rod in hand ... you are good!

I'll have to get it out and lawn cast it to see how it acts with the repair. It obviously has no collector value but hopefully casts well and will still make someone a good 5/6 wt rod that they won't have to worry about fishing in harsh conditions.

mark B

Post 02 Apr 2009, 02:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That's about the good news from jgstar. Looking at the photos, I wonder if, also, a small section was so shattered at the break that the rod has been slightly shortened such that the taper is interrupted at the ferrule, the male section shimmed to fit. When bird hunting down that way, I used to stop at St Croix in Park Falls. As I remember--this was 25 years ago--they had a little shop and I think I bought some stray rod parts and cork there. In my experience with older St Croix rods--not much, but I looked a bunch of them over at one time or another in the '70s and early '80s--they tended to become brittle and shatter relatively easily. I've seen them in that condition, had one fly rod that was about to go, and had two spinning rods that broke that way. Probably these are from the time when they had little or no UV protection, and/or it had to do with the cloth and resin package. Turtledoc, I wouldn't mention this on a discussion board if I thought it would compromise perceived collector value for someone, but I figure you are a realist--having some very, very fine tackle--and just want to assess what you've got in a pretty ordinary rod.

Post 02 Apr 2009, 04:23 • #5 
Emeritus
whrlpool -

Thanks for the additional comments, and YES, I just want to have a clear idea of what I have here. Like I stated in the original post, I will be selling this rod (for not much $ the way it looks) and really just wanted to know what was "wrong" or potentially wrong with it so that I was certain not to misrepresent the rod as anything better than it really is. I hope that when I get a chance to cast it in the next few days it is a pleasant surprise and that it will make someone a pretty nice looking "very inexpensive" rod Image

Thanks Again,
Mark B

Post 10 Sep 2020, 08:52 • #6 
Guide
Does anyone in this thread have any further info on St Croix Pacemaker rods? Looking up info on an 8'6 Pacemaker but having issues finding anything.

Post 10 Sep 2020, 09:59 • #7 
Guide
Very capable, durable and nice casting rods if a little heavy in hand. Mid range product from St Croix’s lineup offered in bright colors throughout their production run. The 8’6” would be most comfortable with 7/8 weight WF lines and would make a great bass rod.

New Topic Add Reply