It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Jan 2024, 21:28 • #1 
Greetings all,

I have a fly rod that I would like to learn more about. I've seen a fair number of Fisher fiberglass rods, but this model is a little different. The brown is a little duller than Fisher's typical mahogany. It is unsanded and has purple wraps. The components seem very economical, an all black reel seat and rubber winding check like you'd see on some of Fisher's graphite rods like "The Original". There is a label I can't entirely read: The Fisher Since 1922 ?? 2pc. 8' 0" 5WT.

Is there any way to guess the age of the rod? Any ideas what the symbols are between the company logo and rod specifications?

I find the action to be more slow than moderate, even for fiberglass. I'd picked it up for bluegill on the lake, but it seems more suitable for tiny dries and small mountain streams.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Post 01 Feb 2024, 10:34 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
the wraps and some of the guides, plus the handle shape - all suggest this rod is not a factory build (despite the decals on the blank)

blank color looks close to a last-generation Phillipson Epoxite, which was a 3M blank?

you could have a bit of a "Franken Rod" on your hands, there.
the Fischer decals could have been added to a random blank.
it's a possibility, anyway.

Post 03 Feb 2024, 11:43 • #3 
Master Guide
I had a factory fisher glass rod that had the unsanded blank and have seen several others. Looks like a custom build on a fisher blank.

Post 22 Feb 2024, 11:33 • #4 
Just to muddy the waters a bit.
I just picked up 4 Eddie Bauer rods of various weights, directly from the man who designed, and made the rods for them. He had Lamiglas do the blanks. However, they look identical to yours and the EB rods made earlier than mine, which were supposedly done with Fisher blanks. I have no reason to doubt the story I got at all, as the designers and builders are well known up here in the PNW, and used Lamiglas early graphite for their own brand as well, which I was also able to get.
So, were the unsanded, brown Lamiglas blanks designed to resemble the earlier Fisher blanks, so the EB buyer wouldn’t notice the change, or was it the same blank, but labeled differently by different builders?

Best,
Doug

Post 23 Feb 2024, 19:02 • #5 
Master Guide
Looks like the same grip and blank color of this GT40.

Sandman

Post 23 Feb 2024, 19:50 • #6 
Piscator
Hi Chris, Fisher polished all GT40s that I've seen.
Unsanded Fisher graphite is Natural, same color blank as Sterling.

Above, sun's not tall enough to show the color, but this is polished Fisher Sterling.

Post 16 Mar 2024, 06:19 • #7 
Thanks for the insight corlay, I agree the label may be indecipherable because it was cut and pasted somehow. I don't know why I didn't think of that!

That's interesting Riffling Hitch, I thought the blank was Fisher, I wonder if they sold these as kits the purchaser could assemble themselves?

DCharles, that's very interesting. I wonder if the actions were noticeably different between the Lamiglass and Fisher? Have you had the opportunity to cast these?

Sandman, thanks for posting that picture, seems like the same handle to me. Maybe that supports this rod being made form a kit during that era.

Gorgeous rods and fish bulldog, seems Fisher made some very good fishing tools!

Post 18 Mar 2024, 08:27 • #8 
Here is a 7’ unsanded blank with white spigot ferrule from Randy Retroglass.

Post 18 Mar 2024, 11:06 • #9 
Wow willfish, to my eyes that's a perfect match to this blank. The only difference would be the spigot color.

The tip on mine is a little out of line. Perhaps it was a reject and the blank got sold at a discount. Or maybe years of storage could leave a bend in a fiberglass tip?

Thanks for your help!

Post 18 Mar 2024, 13:21 • #10 
Yes, seems a pretty good match between the two blanks. Mine does have a solid white spigot. Is yours solid as well?
The tip on mine was also a bit corkscrewy. I was able to straighten it pretty good with some gentle bending.
Here’s a few more unsanded rods I have. All translucent blanks. Lamiglas LTD & Zebco (st croix made)

Post 21 Mar 2024, 07:57 • #11 
Those are nice looking rods, I don't think I've seen a Zebco like that before. Yes, the spigot ferrules on mine are solid, but they are brown.

Post 21 Mar 2024, 08:35 • #12 
Here’s one more fisher 8’ 4wt. It is sanded & white spigot but with similar grip & seat.

Post 21 Mar 2024, 08:56 • #13 
Very cool, I bet that rod is a joy to fish!

Post 21 Mar 2024, 11:51 • #14 
Yes, it is a lovely casting rod. A pretty full flexing progressive action. Labeled 4 but throws a 5 nicely as well. It does have larger (than necessary- imo) snake guides in the tip section that definitely add some extra swing weight.
Btw - how much does your 8’er weigh?

Post 21 Mar 2024, 17:34 • #15 
I'm not sure how accurate my kitchen scale is, but it read 3.8oz or 110 grams.

Post 22 Mar 2024, 09:41 • #16 
Thanks for checking. My 8’ 4wt weight in at 95 grams. Has 7 heavy wire snakes & two double foot ceramics on the butt section. I always thought it was a factory build because of the label & football (thick) finish application to the wraps.

New Topic Add Reply