It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:02

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Dec 2023, 00:10 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
I would say this site was the catalyst of any fiberglass revival. Sure we had glastech and all those but I really think it was when this site sung the praises of Steffen along with Mcfarland. Then others like Fred Paddock , Chris Barclay and Graywolf (Shane) grew from that niche and did their thing. Throw in a respected maker of Scott rods fame plus Tom Morgan. From this site came someone who then wrote a fiberglass manifesto and voila. You have a resurgence that catches the attention of the commercial group that produced the Scott F2, Redington Butterstick, Orvis, etc...

Not sure if the revival is still on but seems it has always been about the passion from this site, at least for me.

Post 05 Jan 2024, 23:23 • #27 
Guide
With all the can we make it faster hype of so much of the carbon markets, the glass revival was almost a revolt to sanity. Lighter weights and better tapers have made them much more agile in hand. It is also nice to see more shorter rods becoming available. An 8-0 8 wt is much nicer than an 8-9.

Post 06 Jan 2024, 10:54 • #28 
Master Guide
With a core group of glass enthusiasts I would say there is still a lot of interest in the newer fiberglass rods. With the typical fly fisherman, glass is no longer new and interest is waning. Companies need profits to stay in business, if sales slow they will cut back on the glass rods they have normally produced. Typical product marketing cycle. Interest and new doesn't last forever.

Post 06 Jan 2024, 13:56 • #29 
Guide
Maybe the could put nano resins in the mix and it would be new again ;)

Post 07 Jan 2024, 13:26 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I'll stick with my vintage rods.

But, hopefully everyone will decide to go with the newest and greatest. Maybe then I'll be able to find some Classics at prices I can afford.

Barry

Post 07 Jan 2024, 18:02 • #31 
Master Guide
G8trwood wrote:
Maybe the could put nano resins in the mix and it would be new again ;)

Interestingly enough, Hardy tried that with their Cirrus Glass rod series, which was advertised as using Sintrix resin from 3M. They didn’t set the world on fire and other manufacturers haven’t publicly followed suit….

Post 11 Jan 2024, 22:24 • #32 
Guide
The glass revival has probably run its course---Simply because I have a tendency to show up late at the party whether its a great fishery or new tackle innovation or whatever. I think if the glass revolution is to continue then the boutiques and production companies will really have to to do some serious work and demos and actually get their products into the hands of new and experienced fly fishers to try out. I think internet forums have been the driver in sales and have been the curiosity factor to get fly fishermen to look at fiberglass. Because of this forum I was interested in a Berkley Parametric-found one on the auction site-and then later bought another one-I liked the rods (mostly) and then I kind of got emboldened to deprive my kids inheritance with two blue factory fiberglass rods that he will eventually own. I am probably done buying rods and blanks being pretty happy with what I have now so in order for me to buy anything will require an incredibly fabulous rod that I will have access to test and try out or it will have to be a great bargain on a known name. I am glad it happened though-thank you fiberglass fly rodders!

Post 12 Jan 2024, 08:25 • #33 
Sport
The wave may be over but the material isn’t going anywhere because it is so versatile.

I saw Tom Morgan and other great minds and talents in the field mentioned in this thread, with one notable exception: Larry Kenney. Being able to directly communicate with a giant like him is truly a unique opportunity. What amature ball player can call up a hall of famer to ask mundane questions? AND get an answer?

Larry is just the glaring omission of the group of generous people involved in this revival that has made it possible in the first place. Without their knowledge and willingness to share it, I would not have a closet and garage full of fiberglass rods.

Post 03 Feb 2024, 22:49 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you kellystand. I had a brain fart and for the life of me could not remember Larry Kennys name so my reference to someone from Scotts fame was the best I could do. You are absolutely correct, Larry's contribution to threads in this forum were invaluable and part of how this site gave birth to the revival.

I will lament the day if this forum meets its demise. The knowledge tucked into this forum is a living history book with great accuracy and records.

Post 17 Mar 2024, 22:12 • #35 
Guide
Haven’t been online for a while and just catching up. After reading this thread, I figured I would weigh in. Originally from a spinning and baiting cast background, I only recently started fly fishing. This will be my third Spring. I fish mainly at a Stillwater anglers club near Boston for stocked trout but have fished and caught sea run Browns in NH, Striped Bass from Northern border of MA to the end of the canal on the Cape. This will be my second season fishing for American Shad in the Merrimack River. And I fish for large and small mouth bass in NH and MA ponds usually from June to September. My first two rods were a used and early 90s Sage DS2 9’ 4wt and an 8.5’ 6wt LL Bean Classic. Both medium fast graphite.
My first glass rod and third fly rod was a hand me down Dual function Fenwick Spin Fly 7.5’ in what I have found to be the most common size fenwick 6wt. Despite the odd looking oversized guides, it was also my first multi piece rod. And I was really impressed with how it cast. It met all of my expectations of what a fly cast should be. A relaxed, almost slow motion delivery slowly floating to the water. Unlike my previous bait casting experience which while I still enjoy is more like shooting an arrow straight to the target.
That launched me into figuring out what this fiberglass thing was all about. Eventually I realized that the early fiberglass designers were using what they considered was the best and also least expensive material to replicate the feeling of expensive labor intensive bamboo rods.
Then the weirdness happened when casting tournaments got confused with fly fishing and everyone thought that fish somehow were always magically on the opposite side of the river or pond than the one you were on and if you couldn’t cast 100 ft you could not cast. And of course the space race and exotic light weight materials. Rocket ships inspired more bad ideas including cars in the late fifties and then fly rods. I think a few people figured out that just because you can, it isn’t necessarily a good idea.
I recently have seen an add from a company not to be named marketing the most accurate fly rod ever made. Try to imagine what that means and you will realize how ridiculous that statement is.
For several reasons, most rods these days are composite graphite and are made in South Korea. They make pretty good streamer and nymph rods that seem to appeal to a younger generation of enthusiasts. I say it’s a good idea because fishing in general needs an influx of fresh blood. And I believe eventually that they will get curious as they mature and decide to start their own glass revival the same ways it has been going on for generations in music, hot rods and other stuff. Everything old eventually becomes new. And fiberglass is one of those materials that is pretty impervious to rough handling and time. And it was a good idea originally and is still today. There have been a few bamboo revivals and I am sure there will be a couple of fiberglass ones also. I doubt there will be a boron one.

Post 24 Mar 2024, 16:34 • #36 
Sport
+100.., Fredderf

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply