It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Aug 2023, 09:48 • #1 
Hello all and thanks for having me,
My grandpa lived in Beaverton Michigan and had a farm there and worked at Dow. Since he has passed, we have started to clean out some of the outbuildings and barns. I knew he fly fished, as he was an avid outdoorsman being a guide in WY as well in his younger years. I need some clarification on some old fiberglass rods I found if I may.
Wonder Rod 1390 in socks in heavy Aluminum rod holders with stickers on the end.
Model: FAC
GBJ
Action Rod
5767 (new never been out of the plastic with original paperwork wrapped on the cork)
81470 (new never been out of the plastic)
My mom told me that my aunt worked at Action Rod in Hastings MI and my grandpa would buy them from her. She also said that he had a lot more than what I have found. There are Herters collapsible fly rods as well but need work. The rods listed I would like to revive and use them. I did however bring the Wonder Rod FAC with me to Montana last week and used it for the first day of fishing on the Thompson River. Grandpas rod caught 15 trout consisting of brown, cutty's and 2 bull trout. It was great having my grandpa with me once again. Any help on these rods would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and thank you for your time.

Scott Walters

Post 25 Aug 2023, 12:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Scott. Great to have and appreciate an ancestor's fly tackle. The search function will give you some help (upper right of the frame). There will be more information from many others here who fish and value workaday rods of the fiberglass heyday. I have moved your query to one of the forums where your questions may get the best attention.

Post 25 Aug 2023, 12:28 • #3 
Thank You!

Post 25 Aug 2023, 17:42 • #4 
Master Guide
Welcome to the forum. Nice to hear that you were able to use the Shakespeare Wonderod in Montana.

That search function and the Wiki that has a lot of info on Shakespeare rods as well as the bookmarked catalogs in the Collecting Fiberglass rod sun forum. I use these resources quite a bit.

Post 25 Aug 2023, 18:31 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Scott, in this "Wiki" that has been mentioned - https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Shakespeare - I think you'll find the three letter "model" numbers refer to "model year" or "date code" and you can sort through the chart to find out more about your rods, however I'll mention that some early Shakespeare rods had the actual model number stamped onto the sliding or locking rings of the reel seat. This model location is seldom mentioned and the numbers can be hard to read as they get dinged up over time.

Not much at all in the Actionrod Wiki page - https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Actionrod
As to the search, by all means try the built in search function, it will find lots of info for you; but, I have also found that on most forums if I use a major search engine and the form "Actionrod site:fiberglassflyrodders.com" or "Orchard Industries site:fiberglassflyrodders.com" that I may get more results (about 6000 in this case) or more applicable results.

Post 31 Jan 2024, 11:07 • #6 
Thank you all for the information. I have found out that the 2 Wonder roods are from: Model FAC Aug 1950 and the Model GBJ is from Feb of 1949. And both can be anywhere from a 7wtF to a 10wtS line. As for the Action rods I cant find much about the rods them selves. The J&J book I see referred to a lot is that the Johnson and Johnson Jr. book? I would really like to know what weight line these are and start using these more. Some are in need of wrappings which I will be learning. soon. But two are brand new never used in plastic bags. And all I would think came from my Aunt Dolly who worked in the Hastings facility in which my Grandpa bought them from her. The rods in question are 4390,1966 used brand new are the 5767, 81470. I can send photos later today if needed. Again Thank you all.

Scott

New Topic Add Reply