It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 May 2023, 17:25 • #1 
Sport
Hi all - I recently picked up a 4-piece Hardy Smuggler from a certain auction site, and while the rod is in good shape, it has a musty odor. I was able to get the odor out of the rod bag, and I'm replacing the tube it came with. So far, I'm at a loss for getting the odor out of the rod though (especially the cork).

Any tips on how to handle without damaging the rod? Thanks!

Post 14 May 2023, 22:25 • #2 
Master Guide
Clorox or Lysol wipes use really wet ones ..
Gentle wipe / wash … let it soak into the cork 5-10 mins
Then a rinse in hot tap water .
Repeat process 2-3 times ..
Repeat again next day …
Let rod dry in ventilated space .. keep out of bag and tube for at least a week ..
Clean/sanitize tube .
Re wash sock again.
Ditch tube and sock if needed.

I’ve also used pine sol , Zep HD citrus degreaser, and full strength simple green .
If it’s really Gnarley I’ve used Clorox cleaner+bleach spray on cork to get the smell .

Sometimes you have to let the rod off-gas so to speak in a neutral/dry environment instead of the musty tube and sock in which it came .

I had a few rods I scored locally that were awesome mint rods except they had musty odor .
Took me multiple Lysol wipe sessions and had to keep them in the garage for a good month before they were good to bring into the house .

I had to Clorox spray the cork on a Daiwa graphite rod .
Spray and let sit only a minute or 3 rinse hot water .. repeat as needed be careful.

I’ve heard some guys will clean the cork then take them by the smoke of a campfire to get the musty smell off ..

Good luck :)

Post 14 May 2023, 22:37 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I would avoid the clorox on the cork. For the cork, dish soap and water and .... time. wash let air dry and just let it sit out in the open for a few weeks. It took a long time for the smell to build up and will take a long time to get rid of.

If it's that mildew smell, getting it out of the bag, a good wash or two. Clorox on cork will cause all sorts of problems down the line, so I prefer to get that cork dried out naturally.

Post 15 May 2023, 02:05 • #4 
Administrator
I'm with Carlz - no bleach. Wash the rod sections soap and water, then let them sit out on a shady screen porch for the summer. Perhaps take the rod fishing. Get some fish slime on the grip. Wash and repeat.

I would wash the rod tube, inside and out, with soap and water. Maybe some OxyClean. Let the rod bag and tube air out with the rod. If the rod bag doesn't come clean, just replace it.

Tom

Post 15 May 2023, 02:14 • #5 
Master Guide
Just wanted to clarify..
The Clorox wipes I use have Zero bleach

And the Clorox Clean-up cleaner I use in only the worst situations

It only contains 1.84% Bleach

Post 15 May 2023, 03:17 • #6 
Administrator
Wipes leave alkyl ammonium chloride salts behind. While that probably isn't a big issue, wipes are a hard surface bacterial disinfectant, not a cleaner. There's nothing that a wipe will do that dish soap won't do. Conversely, soap removes far more grease, dirt, and grime.

Bleach is a very effective disinfectant, but is very alkaline from the added sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide isn't good for metal or cork. Getting the bleach rinsed away is tough. Skip the bleach.

Soap and water aren't as fast as bleach, but they are safer for the gear.

If the grip still needs to be disinfected, wipe it with denatured alcohol. Alcohol evaporates without leaving a residue. The alcohol may dry out the cork. YMMV.

Tom

Post 15 May 2023, 05:52 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Count me in the no bleach or chemicals on cork crowd and I'll add detergents to that mix as well despite positive reviews from oily ducks.

Dish washing detergents dry out leather & cork over time with repeated use so all I ever use to clean anything fishing tackle related (grips, fly lines, wading shoes) is bar Ivory Soap & water.

However, have you thought about mixing a concentrated slurry of baking soda and water OR lump charcoal & water or just baking soda or charcoal, letting the grip soak/sit in that overnight, rinsing and air drying completely outside in the sun and repeating if necessary?

FWIW - I once had a rental car that WREAKED of air freshener to the point it made my throat sore when I drove the car. I put a throw away aluminum baking pan full of lump charcoal from my grill on the floor in the back and in a few days the smell was gone.

Last edited by Bamboozle on 15 May 2023, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 May 2023, 07:17 • #8 
Master Guide
Try making a paste with baking soda and water and put a light coat on the cork. Repeat as necessary. Keep applying as needed. That works on many odors. Not real sure if the baking soda would harm the cork, baking soda is actually pretty gently on things. Consider wrapping the cork, with paste on it, in foil or Sara type wrap.

Post 15 May 2023, 08:24 • #9 
Sport
Thanks all - fortunately the bag is fine now after washing a couple of times and hang-drying in the breeze.

This is exactly the sort of info I was hoping for. I'll try the following (in ascending order of harshness):

1. Baking soda paste + rinse + protracted air dry
(If 1 doesn't work, then)
2. Ivory bar soap slurry + rinse + air dry
(If 2 doesn't work, then)
3. Dish soap + rinse + air dry
4. Fishing + fish slime + rinse + air dry (though with my luck, no sure thing! :lol )

Hopefully one of those will do the trick before needing to resort to anything harsher. I'll report back with results.

Post 15 May 2023, 14:57 • #10 
Guide
Try Pledge.

Post 15 May 2023, 18:43 • #11 
Master Guide
Or...just a apply a little fish slime and dirt to the cork...and let it air out. Then the rod will smell like a fishing rod should.

Post 16 May 2023, 06:12 • #12 
Sport
LeoCreek wrote:
Or...just a apply a little fish slime and dirt to the cork...

Bold of you, to assume I actually catch fish!

:)

Post 19 May 2023, 18:07 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
rub a little dirt on it, it'll be fine ;-)
in the absence of actual fish, some slimy pondweed and mud will probably impart a better odor.. ha

Post 19 May 2023, 21:11 • #14 
Sport
Update: I set the rod aside, in pieces, outside of the bag several days ago and had planned to test out the baking soda approach this weekend. Out of curiosity, I gave the cork a good sniff just now and the odor is essentially gone.

Looks like just letting it air out over the course of five days or so did the trick - laziness did the trick, this time.

Now if I can just get some fish slime...

Post 21 May 2023, 07:32 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I wipe my rods & reels off after use but every rod I own whether it's glass, bamboo or graphite gets left out of the rod tube & bag overnight at minimum or for a couple of days no matter how dry I think it is after fishing. The rod bag is also left out with the rod lying on top and the reel I used is left out of its pouch. I have a designated shelf in my bone dry basement specifically for this purpose.

I've been doing this forever and never had a musty smelling rod so it might be a practice you would want to employ going forward if it isn't part of your routine.

Glad to hear the "stank" is gone!

Post 21 May 2023, 07:50 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
+1 do not put away wet, leave tube cap off, fish it.

Post 21 May 2023, 10:10 • #17 
Master Guide
All great advice here as usual. Sounds like you got it licked, but I’ll add the suggestion of cleaning your cork rod handles with Murthy’s Oil Soap from time to time, especially after a heavy dose of fish slime, blood, creek gunk, etc. I believe I heard this suggestion from others on this forum and/or the bamboo flyrodders group. Murphy’s is safe, good for cork and has a pleasant fragrance that most find agreeable. Texas summer heat tends to dry everything out so a little “extra moisturizer” seems to add longevity to my cork. Happy fishing.

Post 21 May 2023, 23:01 • #18 
Sport
Thanks again all - great advice. In this instance, the rod arrived with second-hand mustiness, which is fortunately largely gone now. I will confess that I have sometimes been in a rush and put gear away without ensuring it's completely dry - definitely a habit to break!

Dave, thanks for the tip on Murphy's oil soap - was not familiar with that one, but sounds like it's worth checking out just generally

Post 22 May 2023, 02:42 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Fish that rod several times each week and it will never smell "musty". Fly rods need lots of water and outside air to flourish.

New Topic Add Reply