It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:38

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Apr 2023, 12:47 • #1 
Sport
Hello all, hope you are fishing often!

I recently acquired the nice rod in the topic, sans the usual Phillipson logo, but otherwise typical Royal Wand features. Inscription near the hosel reads:
"made expressly for Norm Thompson
by Phillipson".
The seller offered that Mr. Thompson operated an outdoor shop in Portland back in the 60s-70s. I've gathered elsewhere that it was in close association with several high end manufactures of the day.

Do these markings date the rod? What is the back story on Norm Thompson and his specialty shop? A catalog depicting this rod is probably out there, can I get a photograph?

I know you guys have the knowledge and references, thanks in advance for the sharing.
Charlie

Post 25 Apr 2023, 14:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have a couple Norm Thompson Catalogs. They both mention Phillipson Uniglas Fly Rods. Neither catalog has a date printed. One catalog has an order forum that shows a zip code address, so that would be 1963 or later.

Post 25 Apr 2023, 14:17 • #3 
Sport
Alright GRASSNGLASS !! That's what I was hoping for, and quite promptly too.
Thank you very much.
Seems to be a pretty slick catalog to me, considering the time and regional market. Cool.

Anyone else feel free to chime in, comment, whatever. It's a really nice rod, and will need a 3.1-3.5 ounce reel. New Battenkill II is handy at about 2.9 ounces before line, should be fine if not vintage.

Charlie

Post 25 Apr 2023, 15:28 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
catalogs- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10370
In this post ottobahn lists most of the rod models by material and some dating info. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75251&p=417433&hilit=eponite#p417408

Post 25 Apr 2023, 17:26 • #5 
Master Guide
Fully Phillipson built for, and privately labeled as such, Norm Thompson Outfitters. I remember going to the Norm Thompson store as a kid in the late sixties and seventies, mostly to pick out a tobacco pipe as a Christmas present for my grandfather. It was a high end outdoors clothing and fishing accessories retailer, but most sales were catalog order. Norm Thompson began selling hand tied flies out of his home in 1949 (didn't know this until now) and quickly turned it into a mail order business (with significant sales). Which is likely how he convinced Phillipson to private label their rods.

I have the exact same rod, but you don't see many private labeled for Norm Thompson. Really, just a way to gain market penetration for Phillipson. They are wonderfully appointed.

Sandman

Post 25 Apr 2023, 18:53 • #6 
Piscator
I had a Norm Thompson Farlow Armourcane rod.
It was the same blank Farlow made for post-fire Leonard, but had Brit ferrules, and a wonderful, beefy, cast and machined reel seat.

Image Image

Post 26 Apr 2023, 04:38 • #7 
Sport
Thanks for those links Trev, I was hoping Scotto would post with his take on this rod. He's always got the rundown on everything Phillipson!

Post 26 Apr 2023, 09:13 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
OlGlass56, My understanding of Scotto's list is your rod would be Scotchply from the post Johnson time frame, similar to my Royal.

Post 26 Apr 2023, 09:58 • #9 
Master Guide
Hey Charlie ,
I was up the mountains over the weekend.
That rod had been sitting for a minute …
I thought of picking it up , but the cracked cork ring was a deal breaker for me .
Wife said no more project rods til I fix up my current stash :lol

It’s a Uniglas/Scotchply glass ferrule constructed rod like all Royal Wands …

I have a LL Bean double L version 6ft glass ferrule rod .
Great casters !

In addition to the Shop Custom Made for Norm Thompson connection
What really stands out to me is the Phillipson Script Logo :eek

See how it has the funky 70s style font with thicker lines just like the 1974 Phillipson catalog

I’ve only ever seen a handful of rods with the late Funky 70’s script .

Seriously rare !!!!!

My hunch …
With that font I would bet this to be one of the very last Royal Wands
1972-73 ???

Maybe Dr Todd could check his catalogs to verify for us ?

Glad you saved it Charlie !
Will make a great small stream stick :P
Scotto

Post 26 Apr 2023, 12:16 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog's post got me thinking. Looks like Farlows bought Sharpes in 1971 and Sharpes made the Armourcane for them. There are both Phillipsons and Farlows in the same catalog, so unless Farlows was labeling Sharpes rods before 1971 my catalog has to be no earlier than that. This makes Scotto's estimate sound very reasonable.

Post 27 Apr 2023, 14:57 • #11 
Sport
There's Scotto, adding color commentary as expected!
Grip repair result I detailed in PM for you.

Sandman's fine example with that Scotchply epoxy tag gave me a p.o.r. for more researching on my own, but I couldn't glean what The Phillipson Man knows.
Thanks Ron for the action photos. Is that a redbreasted sunfish? That's a variety I haven't encountered here in Hoosier state. Many others though, my favorite is the longear. So aggressive, rob the smallmouths creeping on a fly!
Also neat to see another high end Norm Thompson build in that classy Farlow.

Good to hear all,
Charlie

Sorry to tack this on, but the only full feature posting enabled for me now is PM and the "edit" button on this post.
Maybe I'm in F.F.R. jail for run on sentences :o !?

Anyone ever had a device interaction that caused issues? I'm on tablets and phone so....

Post 28 Apr 2023, 15:12 • #12 
Administrator
Phillipson first marketed the Royal Wand rods in 1969 (see the Phillipson catalog thread). They used the first Phillipson glass sleeve ferrule rather than a conventional metal ferrule. In 1972 3M bought Phillipson. Any rods produced from 1973 on had a 3M marking along with Phillipson markings. So my best guess is 1970-72 for the Norm Thompson presented in this thread.

You can't reply to your own post anywhere on the forum. You can edit your post if you need to add more discussion. That keeps threads shorter for users reading on their mobile device.

Tom

Post 29 Apr 2023, 07:09 • #13 
Sport
Great call on those catalogs from Dr. Todd Scotto!

It looks like the model debut was '69, Sandman and I have the Norm Thompson build detailed in the '71 catalog. Your bet on '72-'73 and seriously rare sound spot on to me.
Makes me feel better about dropping the asking price and just love the rod. Probably a better rod for my purposes than current favorite Golden Eagle 4 midge kit rebuild or the Phillipson RF76.

I'll jump to the fishing side for some reel suggestions.
Pre line weight of 3.0-3.5 ounces is about what I think will leave me j u s t tip heavy, my preference.
The modern Battenkill II click-pawl is right there, and the Battenkill 3/4 classic (on the O.G.E. now) is OK, but has #6 line capacity issue. Martin 61 is in my stock, but a bit unrefined to me.

More fun with the details,
Charlie

Post 29 Apr 2023, 09:20 • #14 
Piscator
On my RW66, my favorite reels are JLH Ultralite and Martin/Browning LM/LZ 45

Post 29 Apr 2023, 10:58 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
how much difference is there between the Royal and the Royal Wand? same rod different year?

Post 29 Apr 2023, 11:50 • #16 
Master Guide
Hey Trev
The Royal rods have NS ferrules

Royal Wands have Glass ferrules

As Tom said above the Royal Wands were the first Glass Ferrule Phillipson rods 1969.

They were sold alongside one another in the catalogues of the day til 3m era .

Post 29 Apr 2023, 15:42 • #17 
Administrator
Trev wrote:
how much difference is there between the Royal and the Royal Wand? same rod different year?

Both the Royal and Royal Wand rod lines are listed in the 1969 Phillipson catalog for an easy comparison. After 1969, the Royal line was dropped. In 1971 Phillipson sold Swamp Fox and Master rods with metal ferrules and Epoxite and Royal Wand rods with glass ferrules. By 1974 when 3M had taken over, all rod lines had glass ferrules.

Beyond the ferrules, the Royal rod lineup was broader. Eleven offerings ranged from the extra light RF76L to the tournament action RF90HT for a #10 line. There were extra light and 'dry fly' rods in both 7'6" and 8' lengths. The Royal Wand lineup was six rods ranging from 6' to 8'6" long. To me, the longer Royal Wands have a bit lighter action than the corresponding length Royal 'dry fly' rods. The 1969 catalog Royal Wand page makes a big deal about "Inner Taper". The marketing description doesn't state the details, but suggests the Royal Wands were built on a new set of mandrel tapers.

Would I walk away from buying a nice Phillipson Royal in hopes of finding a Royal Wand instead? No. To me these rods have a strong family resemblance rather than large differences. With metal or glass ferrules, they all cast and fish well.

Tom

Post 30 Apr 2023, 18:55 • #18 
Sport
Norm Thompson’s shop imported a lot of rods under his name - including some marvelous Bamboo one piece rods, some Scotties, and Pezon Michel which I still own.

Post 28 May 2023, 16:27 • #19 
Guide
Norm Thompson received major exposure from Arnold Gingrich in his book The Well Tempered Angler, as did the Phillipson glass rods.

Post 07 Jun 2023, 17:56 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I have a split cane rod, Made by Farlows in Aberdeen Scotland for Norm Thompson, 7' 10 3/4" which seems an oddly specific length.
It's a 5/6wt for me, and a fast action due to the impregnation of the cane with resin, an Orvis process which was licensed to Sharpes of Aberdeen.
Terrific rod.

Had not known Norm also had a line of Phillipsons.. interesting, thanks all..

Post 09 Jun 2023, 16:08 • #21 
Guide
My Farlow Ultimate one piece rod was 5’ 10 1/4”. Originally labeled as a 5wt rod, it has gracefully aged into a 4 wt.

Post 09 Jun 2023, 17:22 • #22 
Guide
doug in co wrote:
I have a split cane rod, Made by Farlows in Aberdeen Scotland for Norm Thompson, 7' 10 3/4" which seems an oddly specific length.
y

That doesn't seem like such an oddly specific length to me. 7' 10 3/4" is only 5mm. (3/16") from being exactly 2.40 meters long. That would be a standard length to people where the metric system is used. For different reasons, the connections between Sharpes, Farlows, and Phillipson are quite interesting to me.

Post 10 Jun 2023, 04:01 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Yes. And realize that fly-rod lengths are nominal anyway. Just the choice and positioning of hardware can make small differences on what is, essentially, the same blank.

Post 20 Jul 2023, 17:17 • #24 
Guide
Norm Thompson was nationwide, not regional.

They were highly recommended by Arnold Gingrich, the publisher of Esquire magazine

New Topic Add Reply