It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Mar 2023, 13:25 • #1 
Sport
Hello everyone. I am a recent Fenwick convert and just smile whenever I think of my FF79 glow stick i got from my casting coach. So I want to grow my collection.

My question is around the serial letter. I know from searching and reading most of the post the letter designates the year is was manufactured and can indicate the appearance of the rod (hand written, printed, more text, line weight designations). I also understand that over the span of a rods production lifespan its action can also vary based on materials, etc.

So my question for everyone is… with regards to the FF XX “double digits” would you pass on the same rod (example FF75) if it had an “H” and wait for another with a “D”?

The reason I’m asking is because I see some post their serial letter when discussing rods and I’m unsure if it’s in context of just rarity vs action or appearance or just pride ( as someone who collects baseball cards and loves vintage cars I completely understand!)

I know from a collectors standpoint, it all matters but do i need to consider this from a fishing perspective or am I just splitting hairs at this point. Personally I just want more fishable glow sticks.

Thanks in advance for answering the questions. Everyone here has been wonderful so far and I hope to be able to contribute more someday.

Post 22 Mar 2023, 14:37 • #2 
Master Guide
I don’t think there are any particular production years that you should give a pass if you are auditioning Fenwicks. Stated broadly, the actions will be softer and slower in the earlier rods; becoming more consistently crisp with chronological progression. I have a favorite pocket of a couple of production years for cosmetic blandishments, but the actions are more or less what you’d expect from a Fenwick.

Post 22 Mar 2023, 15:14 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I’d echo Lunker. If you’re interested in a FF75 and one shows up in good shape at a price you like, get it. And after using it, you still think you’d rather have a “C” - and one shows up - buy it and sell the other; Fenwicks in decent shape sell reliably, and I doubt you’d take a loss. But if so, $20 or so for an education or a year’s “rod rental” doesn’t seem like a bad deal.

Post 22 Mar 2023, 15:39 • #4 
Master Guide
I agree with both statements above. Generally, early letters are going to be slower and may look different, be had written, have gold mylar thread, and other interesting stuff. Fishing wise I wouldnt expect much of a difference (unless its a case where a rod changed line weight within a given model designation like the FF80).

Ofcourse, it is generally true that FFXXX rods are going to faster and lighter than FFXX rods. Many folks develop a strong preference for one or the other. I personally prefer the 2 digit rod models as a general rule.

My favorites are the FF70-4, FF75-4, FF79, and FF85-5. The first three are all good small/medium water trout rods to me. The FF85-5 is a good rod for something like hopper dropper fishing on big water (DT7), or bass poppers(8 WT) . Ive fished the FF85-5 with sinking lines and big streamers a good bit too, though I think the tip may he a tad delicate for that type of fishing.

Post 22 Mar 2023, 17:34 • #5 
Guide
I have several models of 60's, 70's 5ish/6 wt rods on the 7.5' to 8' scale, most of them Fenwicks. Starting over i might just buy every decent looking, decently priced FF79 i come across. i have four. gave away a couple. for MY fishing they are great dry fly rods with many uses -- big rivers, small, in between, big trout and small. i do not regret having the other models (75-4, 755, 756, 786, 806) but i might swap the bunch of them for a few more 79's! i have 79's from B to J models. B and J might be the best casters, but the differences are quite subtle to my eye.

Post 22 Mar 2023, 21:04 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
From a fishing perspective, they are all great.

À and B rods have a distinctive look, an mylar.

And yes, the earlier rods are not quite as fast, but the difference is not enough to matter for fishing.

But on this forum, I am sure people have preferences.

Post 23 Mar 2023, 09:55 • #7 
Sport
Personally speaking, I've come to prefer the 2nd generation over the 1st but they are all wonderful fishing tools.

Post 23 Mar 2023, 10:47 • #8 
Sport
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful inputs. It is good to know there are just subtle differences between the numbers and mostly appearance. I do forget about the resale-ability of these rods and I can think about them as a long term “rental”.

Post 23 Mar 2023, 22:26 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
BrookieBoy wrote:

Ofcourse, it is generally true that FFXXX rods are going to faster and lighter than FFXX rods. Many folks develop a strong preference for one or the other. I personally prefer the 2 digit rod models as a general rule.

On the other hand, don’t pigeon-hole yourself as having a preference too early, just because you found a rod or two you love in the XX or XXX models. I tend to think of myself as preferring the two-digit models, definitely like my FF70 over my FF705, and expected to like the FF60 over the FF605, but nope, almost always grab the FF605 when the niche arises. All the vintage Fenwicks I’ve tried have been good rods, and I wouldn’t necessarily shy away from any one that seem useful just because it’s of the “wrong” series.

Post 23 Mar 2023, 23:30 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Upstream has a great point. My desire for 2 digit fenwicks is more about looks and history than fishing. I sold an FF855 in favor of the FF 84 (both "light line" models) even though the FF 855 is a better all around rod because the FF 84 looked better and has more "soul".

However I repurchased an FF 755 because it is one of the best 7'6" 5wt's ever made. Part of the fun for me is finding a good deal and trying out the different versions.

But I still collect the A and B series rods for their appearance.

Post 23 Mar 2023, 23:58 • #11 
Sport
Great points on the three digit models! My first Fenwick was the FF807 which I love and it’s been great for spotted bass and carp fishing.

I tried someone’s FF756-4 today and it was very nice as well. Travel rods are amazing.

The other fun part about all these new rods is finding the correct reel to balance them all. I prefer them tip heavy an inch or so above the cork.

Post 25 Mar 2023, 20:04 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I'm with my friend wthorpe...I have 3 of those FF-79s, one of which has mylar wraps. My favorite Fenwick ever made.

Post 25 Mar 2023, 22:25 • #13 
Master Guide
I love the look of the course pumpkin colored cloth weave of the earliest models and I have a couple (earliest version) and I have the duplicate (brown) models of each one too. They cast pretty similar as stated above so no concern there. I like the FFxxx models too just as much. Just get out and fish them.

Post 26 Mar 2023, 09:49 • #14 
Master Guide
Upstreeam,
You are absolutely right. I had, briefly, a FF60 and FF605. in a side by side casting test, I found that I had a dramatic preference for the FF605. I also have a FF756-4 that is a very good rod. I dont like it more or less than my FF75-4, I consider them to he very different rods. The FF75-4 is softer and slower overall, more delicate, and I think a better dry fly rod. The FF756-4 has much more backbone and will handle a DT7 as well as a DT6. it is much better suited for big foam hoppers and poppers, small streamers and weighted nymphs. It makes a good trout rod for big or heavy flies and does well as a short bass rod as well. Ofcourse, the FF756-4 Would make a fine trout rod on medium water as well.

I say it all to say Upstreeam is right. Dont box yourself in. Id still like to get my hands on a FF806-4.

The FF756-4 and FF856-5 RecentLy got promoted to "truck rod". I think they will do everything I ask for small warm water creeks up to larger rivers around northwest Ga. Unless the striper are in.

Post 28 Mar 2023, 14:47 • #15 
Sport
I have a couple of Fenwick's coming my way. I'm so excited to use them! Just got a cheap FF75 2pc and paid a bit for an FF75-4pc but I love the idea of having a rod permanently in my car. Hopefully will get to try them all someday. Fiberglass is so much more fun than graphite, I've been lead astray all my fishing life!

New Topic Add Reply