It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Mar 2023, 12:29 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Just picked this rod up and of course did the wiggle test as soon as I took it out of the tube. Only rod I've ever seen that flexes the whole way into the grip with a slow wiggle back and forth. Scary what the loops might look like. Tip bounce is one thing, but the whole rod.

Any advice on which line to use would be appreciated. Also, guess a slow casting stroke, but advice on how others make it work would also be appreciated.

Most of the rods I've seen here have been home builts. With the decals on the rod and tube I'm wondering if this one came ready to go from South Fork or is it some sort of kit rod.

I've always been of the opinion that a little fish is a little fish no matter what you catch it on. Thinking this rod may change my opinion on that.

Thanks for any information.

Barry

Post 08 Mar 2023, 14:19 • #2 
Guide
Barry, from the way you describe that little rod it may do best with a true 2-weight line or possibly even a 1-weight, with no over-lining. Do you already have such lines on hand? Perhaps there is a friendly fly shop in your neck of the woods that will let you try before you buy. And after getting a suitable line, I would you suggest that you take it to a nearby waterway with a healthy population of bluegills or bream to see how it feels with a fish on. Of course, you may want to be respectful of the local ´gator population.

Post 08 Mar 2023, 15:08 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Don't have to go into the water here for gators. First place we lived had a four or five footer that enjoyed sleeping on our concrete porch.

Good thing about gators is they eat the moccasins.

Think your right about the lines, just have to decide between a one or two weight.

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 08 Mar 2023, 15:15, edited 2 times in total.

Post 08 Mar 2023, 15:08 • #4 
Guide
Hi Barry,

That indeed is a factory rod directly from South Fork and built by Dave Redington. I have the same rod and use a DT2 on it. I believe it's a Lamiglass blank. When Dave sold Redington he started South Fork in Florida and basically direct marketed it. I have several SF rods and like them all. Don't know why they never caught on, maybe the slow action, but a sweet rods none the less.

Tom

Post 08 Mar 2023, 15:18 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Tom,

Good information.

Thanks,
Barry

Last edited by GRASSNGLASS on 08 Mar 2023, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post 08 Mar 2023, 16:21 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
It is also my belief your blank is a Lamiglas. It will certainly change your perspective about little fish. It will also likely slow down your casting stroke. Lamiglas has always been a slower action rod, which for many folks, is their appeal. I have a 6’6” 3wt 3pc, 7’ 3wt 2piece, 7’ 3wt 3pc, 6’ 2/3wt 4pc and a 7’3” 4wt 5pc. The last two cut from one piece blanks. Regardless, they are all slower than most similar weights/lengths rods. I have a bunch of other 2&3wt short rods I use for small streams. It is a joy to fish them where I know a 10” fish is a trophy. Their length, in hand weight, smaller flies and the short casts usually made with them seem to make the experience more intimate and enjoyable. I also sometimes find the smaller reels used and casting distance need only half of a DT line. Enjoy the new experience. If you don’t, let me know, I likely would be interested in taking it off your hands.

Post 09 Mar 2023, 22:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I remember when Les (keebranch) brought one to one of our TX/OK conclaves. All of us had difficulty casting that rod effectively. It is definitely designed for close in casting. We felt it might work better with a 1 weight line. This slow action seemed to be characteristic of all the South Fork rods built on the Lamiglas blank. My friend Kurt bought the 9' 5 weight which we also found a handful to cast. After trying different lines on it over a period of time we finally found it cast quite well with an old Orvis Silver Label WF5.

Larry

Post 10 Mar 2023, 00:18 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Don't have any two weight lines and lightest thing I had spooled up was a Longbelly Wulff 4 wt.. Surprisingly the rod did a really nice job casting that line.

Looked around last night and found I had one of those $9.00 lines I had bought to use as a running line with a shooting head. It was a 3wt line and given the price I didn't expect much. Spooled it up on a Ryobi 255 and gave her a try today. Couldn't be happier with this little outfit. I think I could possibly get tighter loops with a lighter line, but with these heavier lines I can throw the bigger flies I normally fish. If I were fishing tiny flies I would go with the lighter lines.

I'll pickup a one or two weight line when I come across one at the right price. Like to try them, but no rush, I like how it works with the lines I already have.

Could be wrong, but seems like not a whole bunch of difference between a 2wt line and a 3wt line. Only 20 grains which works out to be about .045 of an ounce. If I'm wrong I would appreciate hearing from those who have tried both lines.

Thanks,
Barry

Post 10 Mar 2023, 08:41 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Good. Realize that more load--not less--is usually the way to quiet a rod (think "spring") that feels soft or floppy all on its own. If the spring goes boing-boing- boing all by itself with a jiggle, the only control available is that of enough load to make it work.

Post 11 Mar 2023, 08:44 • #10 
Guide
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
Could be wrong, but seems like not a whole bunch of difference between a 2wt line and a 3wt line. Only 20 grains which works out to be about .045 of an ounce.

There are a couple more things to consider. The 20-grain difference between a 140-grain 5-weight and a 160-grain 6-weight is 14%, while the same 20-grain difference between an 80-grain 2-weight and a 100-grain 3-weight is 25%; therefore that 20-grain difference is proportionally greater. Also, the lighter you go with lines the more subtle the feeling becomes when the rod loads. So fishing with lines of 3-weight or lower does take a little getting used to. I feel that using a correctly tuned leader also become more critical. Hope you enjoy the experience!

Post 11 Mar 2023, 13:57 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
PampasPete,

I appreciate your thoughts and will try other lines when I can get my hands on them.

Just hard for me to understand how less than 1/20 of an ounce spread over thirty feet can make such a difference. On the other hand I like to experiment, so look forward to trying different lines on the rod.

Post 11 Mar 2023, 14:07 • #12 
Guide
I would not rule out 0 weight or level shooting-line. If it were mine I would get the Maxcatch shooting-lines in various sizes from Amazon to try out.
Just my opinion, your not going to need a high, or even mid end line for that rod's intended use.

New Topic Add Reply