It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:52

New Topic Add Reply
Fenwick FF855
Post 24 Feb 2023, 23:33 • #1 
Guide
Today at lunchtime I realized I hadn’t bought a rod in over two months. And I had been patiently waiting for the backlog caused by the Royal Mail hacking incident to unclog so I could get the parts to rebuild my Orvis branded Leeda/ Gearfly multiplier. The parts reel arrived finally after two months, a standard Gearfly reel but it is in too good of condition to cannibalize.
So I did a quick check on the auction site. Just because….
Not really paying attention until I saw this rod rapidly going up in one dollar, then two dollar increments with about 12 minutes to go. Still way under a C note. A quick search on this invaluable site and I realized it was a desirable 5wt which I have recently been having fun with in shorter versions using a Cortland DT peach line this winter. I have found that line to remain very user friendly in this cold New England winter when the waters aren’t frozen over. But the idea of a little more reach with an 8.5’ also seemed interesting.
I decided to get into the game because the rod was really clean with original sock and tube.
I figured I had a bargain also.
But with a few seconds left, I sensed a sniper lurking . I tossed a Mulligan in and outgunned his only bid by $2.00.
Maybe a little more than I wanted to spend. Which is actually always the case. Lol.
But in a couple of days I will have a nice addition to my collection.
It seems I have only seen this model with the cork reel seat and always an M Serial number. Which makes me think this might have been a one year only limited edition.
Possibly might want to add this as a candidate for the rarest Fenwick thread.
Will hopefully post photos in a couple of days.

I now realize I might have to buy a used version of the book where the author claims it is the best Fenwick rod ever. Lmao.

Re: Fenwick FF855
Post 25 Feb 2023, 00:28 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Those are nice rods. I parted with mine. It is a better all around rod than my FF84, but the 2 digit is just more fun for me. That and I have too many nice modern rods that got more stream time. I'm sure you will love it.

Post 25 Feb 2023, 08:01 • #3 
Master Guide
I was watching that one. Hope you enjoy it and get it out and give us your thoughts on it after fishing and casting with it for a bit.

Post 28 Feb 2023, 18:00 • #4 
Guide

I received my rod today and I am quite happy with the condition. With the exception of a minute scuff on the rubber and an even smaller mark on the rod near the stripper, the rod is as near flawless as when it came off the production line. I believe this rod may have been displayed on a standing rack but never actually fished. Maybe lawn cast a time or two.
But the cork reel seat does not have the slightest compression mark. And the ferrule was never waxed.

I am most impressed with the lightness and delicately of the rod.
Especially compared to my early 8.5’ 6wts that the old timers affectionately call my “war clubs.”

I am really excited to test cast this one but unfortunately will not be able to for at least a week.

Despite the snow and freezing rain that doesn’t bother me, I had a minor surgical procedure today and the nurse specifically told me not to do anything that resembles exertion or could possibly raise my blood pressure until the sutures come out next week.

She included snow-blowing, shoveling and fly fishing in her exclusions.
That will teach to to wear a hat with a fly logo to the doctor next time. Dead giveaway. Lol.

Post 28 Feb 2023, 20:37 • #5 
Master Guide
Heal up quickly so you can get out there and cast it and give us a report! Beautiful looking rod - like the cork reel seat that it has

Post 02 Mar 2023, 16:05 • #6 
Guide
There were several snipers. I was one of them and I was too cheap. I have one of these and that one was in better condition. Congrats on that rod, the ff855 is the best of the Fenwicks.

Post 04 Mar 2023, 09:55 • #7 
Sport
Looking forward to the report. I have the ff755 and love it for dry flies

Post 18 Mar 2023, 22:19 • #8 
Guide
Today was one of those strange fishing days. Beautiful weather, fish were cruising. Chasing everything but not taking. Might have been due to the large amount of rain we had last week. Ponds and rivers are at high water marks.
But I came equipped with 5 rods including my recently acquired FF855. And spent a good 10 hours on the pond. I had it set up with a SA DT 5 wt floating line. 9’ 4x leader. I cast unweighted Woolly buggers, assorted dry flies, emergers , and a tandem zebra midge rig. It handled all easily.
But one of the lessons I learned today when switching between various rods with over 50 years of manufacturing dates is that timing is crucial. I noticed after casting the fiberglass rod and switching to graphite my casting was so much more accurate. Not because the graphite was better, but because the fiberglass required precise attention to both timing and rhythm and that carried over. Every time you slip a little line out, you need to adjust the speed and power. You can’t compensate like you can with graphite and force the cast. Either it is flawless or it collapses in an ugly heap. But when switching back from the graphite to fiberglass, I once again had to pay attention carefully to what I was doing.
This I believe is the real beauty and benefit of fishing with fiberglass. It requires real presence of mind while simultaneously developing muscle memory and situation awareness that makes you a better fly fisherman. You quickly are taught that not paying attention can’t be compensated by slapping you fly line forward like you can do with a graphite rod.
Plus is it done at an amazing energy saving and almost mesmerizing slow pace that occasionally explodes into some of the most aggressive takes that just dumps adrenaline into your system.
But I can’t honestly say that this is the best Fenwick fiberglass taper ever made. That would be like saying my Craftsman 1/2” socket is better than a 3/8” one. Every tool has a function and purpose. And most work best when used as intended. But if this was designed as a dry fly presentation rod, then I would agree that it is performs extremely well in that capacity. And also good at other tasks.
But this not not an FF806. Much softer and slower. Overpower it a little and it sends shock waves down the line that do not resemble dry fly presentation in any manner.
I do not claim to be a great caster. Probably novice to intermediate. But this rod easily delivers 50-60 feet in a straight line without effort using controlled single and double hauling. No ripping to your ankles required. Probably not ideal in windy conditions but I did not test with an intermediate line.
My 6wt Fenwick Streamer handled the afternoon gusts flawlessly with a Cortland WF Camo. But that is a different story.

Post 22 Mar 2023, 07:37 • #9 
Sport
Speaking of sniping rare Fenwick's. I fell just short of scoring the FL78-5 the other day.
I came in second.
That was a very nice looking rod and I hope who ever won it enjoys it, but I still hate you. :lol

New Topic Add Reply