It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:22

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Feb 2023, 10:57 • #1 
Just recently got this rod in 7/8 class. The name does give a hint of what it is designed for, but I would appreciate experiences and views on what this rod works particularly well for and what type of use others have had it for.
Also tips and recommendations on lines that works well on this would be much appreciated. I have it coupled with a Hardy Sunbeam 8/9.

Oddly the finish on the rod is matte. All pictures of these I´ve seen are normal glossy finish.

Post 21 Feb 2023, 12:13 • #2 
Master Guide
Kekkek,
Sweet you scored a Superlite 7/8 :P
Did you get the version with the removable fighting butt?
Been eyeing a Richard Walker Superlite rod for myself
To do a lil Ghost Hunting…

Let me know if you think it’s a tru 7 or if it leans more to 8..
Tight lines in 23
Scotto

Post 22 Feb 2023, 03:37 • #3 
Thanks Scotto, no, it´s a fixed butt I think, but now when you brought it up, I have to check the butt again if it is actually a model that I could get the extension to.
Still snow and ice everywhere here, so I must wait long into the spring before I get to try it out.
The rod itself is in great condition, besides that it looks like some previous owner has coated the rod with matte varnish. Just close to the handle I can see a glossy finish on it. I´m thinking of doing a reverse coating back to gloss, but not sure how to do it without damaging it.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 12:02 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
it's a great big stillwater casting cannon.. designed to deal with Grafham Water, to get distance in the wind..
I've cast one and thought it similar to my Fenwick FF108-9, surprisingly light for such a powerful glass rod, as quick as an early graphite IM-6 or so. But it's still a 9-ft heavyweight, a day of casting that and I notice it..

found a page of the 1971 Hardy catalogue,

Post 02 Mar 2023, 05:07 • #5 
Guide
I had one and, as other posters have commented, it was very much for fishing the big English reservoirs, especially from the bank.
Where Hardy had a dual line rating, that was always intended to indicate the double taper rating (lower figure) vs what was then called "shooting taper", but would now be weight forward.

It was a good rod, but I never got as much use out of it as my Hardy Invincible: a 6/7-weight 10ft 6" rod that was a real jack of all trades: rivers (sea-run browns, summer salmon), stillwaters (both from the banks and drifting in boats). and saltwater (sea-run browns, again). The Invincible was a pretty soft action - the Superlite always felt remarkably short and stiff, by comparison.

As far as I can recall (and I spent a LOT of time in the Pall Mall shop as a kid!), none of the "named" Fibalite rods (Invincible, Superlite, Little Lake) had the normal Hardy detachable butt extension, just a slightly cheap plastic combined butt cap and uplocking screw thread.

Post 06 Mar 2023, 09:14 • #6 
Thank you, very good and valuable information about the rod. Much appreciated.
The catalogue indicates that a Marquis #7 would be a good fit reel to it, so I might just couple my Marquis #7 with it and use my Sunbeam for a lighter 8-9 Salmon rod.
It´s interesting that they say that the rod works with a range of lines from #5 - #8

Post 08 Mar 2023, 00:23 • #7 
Sport

Yes, they do make removable butt for these. Here’s mine. It enables the rod to be fished more like a switch rod. I find a Hardy St. Aidan to pair about right for me but then I’m wanting something to balance the rod more for two handed casting. I think a Marquis 7 would be too small for this rod. I’d go with the 8/9 Marquis, St. Aidan or a Zenith. Just my two cents.

New Topic Add Reply