It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:14

New Topic Add Reply
My Lineup of 5-Weights
Post 07 Feb 2023, 13:19 • #1 
Guide
After I wrote about my 4-weight rods a couple of weeks ago, I felt the urge to write about my 5-weights. I don't have nearly as many, but there are a few nice ones! Here is the link to my post, if you are interested:
https://theriffle.blogspot.com/2023/02/the-fives-2023-style.html

Plus, a random pic to get your attention:

That's my then-8-year-old daughter, holding a lovely mayfly. We encountered a gigantic hatch of these things while swimming in the mighty Mississippi River down by Lake City, MN a couple of years ago. She was the only one of my kids who would willingly touch one for a photo op...

Post 07 Feb 2023, 15:46 • #2 
Master Guide
Cool picture with your daughter and the mayfly. Nice assortment of 5 weights to go along with the 4's. I enjoy those Cortland rods myself and am fortunate to own 3 different models collected over the last year and missed out on a few more. I am coming around to the benefits of 5 & 6 wt rods for trout fishing even for smaller water and no longer feel the need to get a number of 2/3/4 weight rods. I use nymphs quite a bit and it is just easier to do a double fly rig with weighted nymphs with a 5wt line.

Post 07 Feb 2023, 18:27 • #3 
Guide
I really enjoy your writeups!

Post 07 Feb 2023, 19:35 • #4 
Guide
Labrax wrote:
Cool picture with your daughter and the mayfly. Nice assortment of 5 weights to go along with the 4's. I enjoy those Cortland rods myself and am fortunate to own 3 different models collected over the last year and missed out on a few more. I am coming around to the benefits of 5 & 6 wt rods for trout fishing even for smaller water and no longer feel the need to get a number of 2/3/4 weight rods. I use nymphs quite a bit and it is just easier to do a double fly rig with weighted nymphs with a 5wt line.

I agree that 5-weights are just about the best all-around rod for most freshwater fishing, at least around here, with 4's and 6's right behind. 3's can be fun, but not if you want to nymph or throw a bugger. The FR-2000s are awfully sweet rods! My 6'6" 5wt is the only one I have seen with a staggered ferrule. The tip section is quite a bit longer than the butt. Not sure what the advantage is there, but it's a terrific casting tool!

Post 07 Feb 2023, 20:51 • #5 
Master Guide
I have read that the staggered model is a very nice casting and fishing rod.

I just picked up a Browning Silaflex 322970 that is in near perfect shape, so now I have 7-8' covered in 5wts in 5 different rods. The FR2000 7.5' will be tried with a 4DT this spring, but throws a 5WF and DT well. The sleeper may be the 8' 5/6 Pro-Crest though - sweet casting and fishing rod and a good length for bigger water.

Just have to stay away from the classifieds and the auction site - I read about all of these wonderful vintage rods and want to try them, but don't seem to want to part with any.

Post 07 Feb 2023, 23:05 • #6 
Guide
SuburbanFly wrote:
I really enjoy your writeups!

Thanks man! I used to write a lot more than I do now. Gotta get back in the habit of writing again.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 15:10 • #7 
Thanks for sharing this. Great to see you have a real diverse collection I myself want to try and fish more rod brands as I mostly fish Fenwick rods aside from a few that are not. That Tiemco Fenwick looks beautiful.

New Topic Add Reply