It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Feb 2023, 23:07 • #1 
Hi,
Curious if anyone has information on a Fenwick #FL 108-8-F 9ft. 8Wt. Fly rod circa (1976-77) owned by Dick Gaumer (Mr. Fenwick). It has never been used and I am just curious of approximate value as I have many of his rods...all unused.

Post 06 Feb 2023, 16:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
This should get you started here Greg - https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Fenwick

1st time - http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... p?t=126227

Locked 2nd time - http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... p?t=147350

Post 07 Feb 2023, 10:15 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
First would be to compare and determine if this is a Feralite rod or, as it sounds to be, a sleeve ferruled model, and possibly a custom build. Using the Wiki Brian referenced, the search function here, and this thread in particular, you should be able to tell. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37987&hilit=yellow+Fenwicks#p124703

Either way, it's a good heavy lineweight 'glass rod, but these are usually the least sought after by 'glass fans, whether collectors or anglers. The connection to development of Fenwick rods in particular, and fiberglass rods in general adds interest, but not all curios are valuable, especially if fairly common.

Sometimes a rod's ownership history adds to its value. IDK if you could count on that in this case.

Typically such a rod would sell for as little as $25 up to $150 or so. Searching sale prices on similar rods is the best way to get close. Whether that's worth the trouble as opposed to a quick sale at a modest price is up to you. Often it is easiest to list it on Ebay or other auction platform-- accurately described with good photographs--start at a low price, and take what you get. It takes a lot of research and marketing effort to get top dollar. That's why another good option is to find a reliable consignment seller. Their cut may seem like a lot, but it's often just the money you wouldn't make trying to sell it alone without a lot more time spent for a few more dollars.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 14:24 • #4 
Thank you for taking the time to reply...very helpful.
Greg

Post 17 May 2023, 00:00 • #5 
Sport
Hi Greg,
I worked at Fenwick as a young man and my office was just on the other side of the wall from Dick Gaumer. He was always so kind to me. I miss his smile and consistently greetings everyday. I think of him often.

On the FL 108-8F. Yes, as wrlpool was explaining... if it is a tip over butt ferrule then it is a late model blank/rod. If it is a sleeve ferrule, then it is an earlier model blank and would be a slower or more moderate action blank/rod. Wrlpool is correct that most of the interest in vintage glass rods is in the lighter line weights. An 8 weight rod is more of a light steelhead rod or for a big water high wind rod like in the open praires of Montana on a windy afternoon. Never the less it is an original Fenwick and will maintain good value.

If you have other rods that Dick Gaumer owned they may be of great value. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks, Wade Cunningham

Post 19 May 2023, 18:02 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
thanks Wade for the memories..

Quote:
a big water high wind rod like in the open praires of Montana on a windy afternoon.

also for the open prairie lakes of CO, in high winds.. ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=76040
see this post for my FF108-9 which has never had a famous owner, only me..

New Topic Add Reply