It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:25

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Dec 2022, 01:23 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,
I had the pleasure of snagging an old Horrocks Ibbotson Hexi Super Cane bamboo fly rod today. I have a ton of glass rods and this will be #3 bamboo. Not just any bamboo will do. It was sooo pristine and beautiful and affordable I scooped it up. Still searching but the model is a Jay Dee Jay, 9', 3pc. I would greatly appreciate some more info on it if you can help. I know this is a glass forum and hope this exception is allowed. Pics attached

Thanks,

Canton

Post 25 Dec 2022, 03:24 • #2 
Administrator
I would start with a six weight line. Search over at the Classic Fly Rod forum to see if there is an specific information on that model.

Keep the ferrules clean, clean, clean. See this post for instructions and photos.

Tom

Post 07 Jan 2023, 15:39 • #3 
Sport
Thanks Tom,
not a whole lot of info out there. Maybe I will run across and old HI catalog that gives more info. I did receive the rod yesterday and Im glad I made the decision to grab it. Like I said I dont own a lot of bamboo and dont anticipate acquiring many more but this little beauty is stunning. The most beautiful bamboo rod I have seen in person. Im very impressed with the quality and craftsmanship and for being in such fantastic condition for it age. Wow!

Canton

Post 07 Jan 2023, 20:09 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Several years of HI catalogs 1900-1953 scanned on the Classic forum, there must be something in one of them.

Post 08 Jan 2023, 02:53 • #5 
Sport
Thanks Trev,
Ill go back and check it out. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Canton

Post 08 Jan 2023, 10:34 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
@Crustyrusty, Just something I stumbled on when trying to figure out how much difference there could be between production bamboo and small shop bamboo as fishing tools. Something that I still don't understand fully, although I can see the difference as collector items where scarcity can drive prices.

New Topic Add Reply