It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:47

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Dec 2022, 23:02 • #1 
Guide
I have had this on my watch list since the beginning of the summer.
More curious than anything because I know nothing about the art of rod building.
The closest I have come is to replace a snake guide next to the ferrule on an FF84 and I was quite pleased to get a repair that is not noticeable when I am holding the rod. Brown on brown is pretty forgiving when it comes to color matching.
But it was on the back burner while I was pursuing other rods.

If you look at something enough times on certain sites, the seller might make you a discount offer. Eventually agreeing to what I believe was a fair price I bought it as a 65th birthday gift to myself. Cost a fraction of my monthly beer, bourbon and Red Bull budget,

But then the seller and I worried for 16 days while it was lost in the USPS system and I was going through my second bout with Covid.
Finally it showed up. And luckily the seller packed it securely in a stout cardboard tube inside a stout cardboard box stuffed with packing material.
The outside box looked like it jammed in a couple of conveyer belts but the rod was perfect.

The seller did not know anything about it, had it for awhile and never fished it.

I believe it is the FL-102-6F blank found in the 1982 Fenwick rod builders Catalog. But that portion of the label looks to have been removed.
Exactly two hits come up in a Google search with the rod builders name. Both for bamboo rods. One made for a Bob Burmeister.

I hope to cast it this weekend. But we have had high winds and steady rain for a week.

It came with an early style Long Beach brown sock with red thread, an early A series style reel seat, a close but not Fenwick cork grip. Beefier in the palm.
To my eyes, it looks like fine workmanship and there is not a scratch or nick on it that leads be to believe it never had a reel on it.

The only thing that is visually odd to me is the the meticulous hand printing is oriented 180 degrees from the Fenwick logo.

And lastly, I haven't the foggiest idea why someone would double up on the guides and space them like this.
Definitely going to be a conversation starter at the Holiday party at the fly club on Tuesday.

The stripper guides have nice gray inserts and the tip top has a black insert.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, and i do hope it casts well.
That is after all, the main reason I bought it.

Edit: I realized the original 2nd picture was a different rod and deleted. It was an actual A Series FF90

Post 18 Dec 2022, 05:41 • #2 
Sport
Fredderf wrote:
And lastly, I haven't the foggiest idea why someone would double up on the guides and space them like this.

In the second picture, what you see is known as a “tamer guide” and was/is typically spaced about 4” from the stripper. No opinion or experience with this concept myself, folks claim it helps alleviate the belly and results in better shooting of line.

Seems mostly a saltwater thing and has it’s devotees.

Edit...no idea on the tip section where the snakes look out of position. Could be same concept (very odd there), but more than likely a forced stagger or method of reckoning with the ferrule position. Not many ever noticed it, but in the past some Scott carbons used a slight guide stagger to hop ferrules/sections on multi-piece rods.

Looks like a very annoying hook keeper, but to each there own.

Post 18 Dec 2022, 08:43 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Guys, that must be a custom built rod for someone who knew what they wanted for a specific purpose.

The stripper with a tamer, and the guides doubled-up on both ends of the ferrule to reduce stress on it when fish-fighting, are extreme features of a rod built for big fish. Prior to the 21st century, fighting butts were for rods 7 weight and up, so no fighting butt. I was also taught that double wrapping the guide feet like that was preferred by West Coast builders to add extra strength at the guides. That hook keeper is ugly, but it works if you wrap the leader around the back of the reel. The hook is then facing back at you.

That rod is designed to fit the whims of one specific person. Most probably, someone along the West Coast?

Post 18 Dec 2022, 14:31 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The guides appear doubled up all along rod, not just at ferrule.
Very unique.

Just FYI Archfly, South Bend made a whole bunch of 6wts with fighting butts, probably in the 60's

Post 18 Dec 2022, 14:36 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I wouldn't read too much into those oddities. Whims with a purpose, probably,(as in the "tamer guide" concept) but not much. That's why people build rods. Now if somebody recognizes the builder's name or knew him, there might be some great stuff to tell. In some cases, oddities on custom builds mean nothing more than the builder had no idea what he was doing. Probably not in this case, but a purposeful experiment at best. Before somebody got screwing around with a more "standard" guide spacing--the Fenwick recommendations are posted in the "rod papers" section, so they were available to anybody in their time--he would figure some reason to vary them. Slightly adjusting the position of the stripping guide to an individual's reach, then the next one or two accordingly, would be normal. Much more than that--well it would be fun to know what he had in mind.

Post 18 Dec 2022, 15:05 • #6 
Guide
Well it is definitely a 6wt. Took it out yesterday in the rain on Saturday with a 11 mph wind. Using a Cortland peach 444 DT. Unfortunately I only had a bead head Blue Pill leach and wasn’t exactly the best conditions or fly for false casting. Nonetheless I could easily walk it out 50- 60 feet picking up and shooting a couple of yards each time.
Today was cold and sunny. I swapped out to a Cortland 6wt WF floating line with a 7 ft intermediate tip and the same fly.
This is when the rod really performs well. Shoots line really well as long as you do a smooth oval cast and point the rod directly where to want it to land. Caught a brookie and 2 fat rainbow.
What really impressed me was when I foul hooked a fat rainbow right behind the dorsal fin. He never actually gave up or tired even when I netted him.
Hard to get a great photo while holding the rod and pinching the line with my non dominant hand while trying to snap this photo. At times the rod tip was almost touching the butt as I tried to haul him out from under the dock covered in weeds.
But look at the smooth bend in the rod. Not your usual segments with defined stress points. The tip is very soft and I am sure this will also throw dry flies well. It loads really quickly. But I am thinking that WFs are going to be better line for this rod. I might try a 4 and 5 wt DT to see how they cast.

And believe it or not, there seems to be some thought out int the hook keeper. I was using my Johnson No 5 magnetic which does not really have a strong drag. I acts like a paper clip. Holding the fly with having to have tension on the line. And it will also work the traditional way wrapping the leader around the reel with a clicker or decent disc drag.

Post 18 Dec 2022, 15:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I can't see clearly enough to tell, but a common way of fabricating a hookkeeper was to bend-stretch a snake guide, probably one on that had had already been damaged out of shape anyhow and might as well be bent some more to be useful. Maybe you can tell.

Post 18 Dec 2022, 16:46 • #8 
Guide

This looks like it was formed from either brass or bronze wire. It is fairly rigid with just a bit of spring. Looks well done. Getting dark outside so hope photo is clear. I also noticed that the rod builder not only understood that the ferrule would wear over time, he allowed for it when he decided to add an alignment line. Not sure why people really need these. But it indicates some attempt at attention to detail.
But up close I noticed some marring on the left side of the hook keeper. This could indicate that this was actually fished and those marks were caused by barbed hooks or maybe he didn’t have a second pair of jewelry pliers and uses regular ones. The rod is in such good condition I figured it was never used. Maybe the owner took good care of it and used it lightly.

Either way, I took a chance on a birthday gift for myself and I am enjoying. Not really into rod collection to have display pieces. I just love to experiment and experience different rods. And if you are ever in the Boston area and want to cast a Fenwick rod you do not have, PM me and I probably have one or something really close. Only cost you a couple of your favorite flies.

I count 12 snake eyes

Last edited by Fredderf on 18 Dec 2022, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Dec 2022, 16:49 • #9 
Sport
whrlpool wrote:
In some cases, oddities on custom builds mean nothing more than the builder had no idea what he was doing. Probably not in this case, but a purposeful experiment at best.

Or an experiment unfinished. Looking at the recently posted fishing pic, one has to wonder if the builder had intended to eventually remove the original guides once the new guide positions were in place.

A very unusual approach to a redo, but maybe they prefer having very solid reference points for the new guide layout process. :rollin

Would be interesting to have a conversation with this builder, might have even been trying to alter the action a bit with extra bracing.

Post 18 Dec 2022, 17:12 • #10 
Guide
I doubt the builder would have spent the effort if he intended to remove them. The seem to be spaced according to my early FF85 6wt.
If you imagine the center point of each set as your typical spacing.

I did seem like when I was playing the large rainbow that the line was much smoother when pulling it in. Never had the fish on the reel. Hand line only. Probably due to the insert in the tip top and less angles even when rod was heavily bent.

Post 18 Dec 2022, 18:43 • #11 
Sport
Regarding the builder's intent to remove, perhaps not as they may well have been more illustrative to a potential customer or simply for his own investigation. Your rod may not have even been intended for actual fishing use or to have all those guides incorporated all at once as you are doing. I took the liberty to mark-up your picture with the red arrows as one useable guide layout, the yellows another.

If you run your line through reds or yellows ONLY and then bend the rod as in the picture, you’ll see what the builder was doing. I think, anyway. Never seen a rod like this, but it could be very useful to illustrate just how various guide spacings work relative the blank. Pretty neat. Essentially, a functional multi-layout model all on the same blank.

Post 19 Dec 2022, 10:45 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
What a fun old rod. Is that a spigot ferrule?? A black blank?? A Fenwick?? Looking at the diameter I would say it's glass??

Post 23 Dec 2022, 15:04 • #13 
Guide
Haven’t been online in a bit. I was down for 10 days with Covid and then 5 days with the Flu.

I believe that this is a fiberglass blank. It also has a Feralite label.
The F indicates it is Fenglass. I believe it was available in dark brown or yellow. The only other possible 9’ rod in that catalog is a med power light action Steelhead spinning rod blank.
I believe it is the FL-102-6F blank found in the 1982 Fenwick rod builders Catalog. But that portion of the label looks to have been removed.

[Note added: the 'FL' at the beginning of the model number indicates a fly rod and the 'F' at the end of the model number indicates a ferruled blank. Tom]

Post 23 Dec 2022, 15:39 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
The yellow blanks were one piece, cut to ferrule as a builder liked, and later, provided with factory installed sleeve ferrule. They aren't the same as the brown. Pretty sure that one is tip-over butt of the type originated by Fenwick. Has that neat touch of a wrap to index the seating depth. It has a long wrap on the female that makes it look like a sleeve at a glance, but that is probably just the usual feralite-style tip, easy to tell on closer inspection.. Bet you have it identified from the catalog. Realize that the decals/lettering on blanks was easily worn off in use or removed by the builder to begin with.

Post 23 Dec 2022, 15:55 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
It's brown then?? Looks black in pictures, and I'm a bit challenged in that dept anyway.

I've had some dark brown Fenwick rods from blanks, all seemed just a tad faster that the typical Fenwick.

Can we get a better shot of that ferrule, with sections apart?? Is it tip over butt like your typical feralite?

I think Fenglass was a later rod.

Post 23 Dec 2022, 22:34 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
It really can't be Fenglass and 1982, can it?
The Wiki shows that "In about 2000(?), Fenwick (now owned by Pure Fishing, Inc.) revived the fiberglass fly rod with their Fenglass line. These blanks were made from E-glass. However, the rods were made in China with Western style grips."
And Trident had them listed as discontinued ca 2020.
Then a search shows viewforum.php?f=2

Are the yellow spots (near top of image) where black/brown paint is skinned off a yellow blank?

Post 24 Dec 2022, 13:49 • #17 
Guide
I might be wrong about the Fenglass for this rod. Might be plain fiberglass. But has tip over but ferrule with Feralite logo on blank. But in 1982 there was Boron , Fenglass, fiberglass and HMG.

https://www.fishingtalks.com/fenwick-ro ... 16901.html

Having read the catalog closer, I now realize the -F designation is for Feralite 2pc rods. No -F, it’s a 1 pc. But the dark brown is what has me wondering. I do not have any other Fenwick this color. But this is the only one wrapped from a blank that I have also. As I go through the entire catalog, there are only a couple of rods that this could be based on the measurements. Really weird the way they measure the butt and tip diameters differently. But it might be typical for other manufacturers.
Also, it seems to me that the butt diameter is measured at the very end of the blank. So I would have to extrapolate what it should be at the front of the grip after determining in front.
Again, I have limited knowledge and zero experience in this area.

Post 24 Dec 2022, 16:57 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
So the Wiki is wrong on that Fenglass date, and I note that the catalog says "increased use of" which indicates they have used it prior to that year. Of course it may be that Fenglass was only available as a blank and that the production Fenglass do date a couple decades later. Interesting.
The reason for the tip measurement in /64s is to match tiptops, don't you think?

Post 25 Dec 2022, 03:18 • #19 
Administrator
The Fenglass rods listed in the Wiki were a line of E-glass rods brought out by Fenwick around 2000. They looked similar to the the earlier Feralite glass, but made in China with heavier blanks. They were marketed as budget fly rods, but even then they didn't sell well. Glass had not revived yet. The more recent line of Fenglass were better designs and were received much better by the market. The more recent rods were made from an S2-glass material.

At least one forum member who knew the Fenwick design team has mentioned that S-glass fly rods were marketed in the late 70s and again in the late 80s, but the rods didn't sell well. S-glass fly rods are mentioned in Vic Johnson's Fenwick as well. I have not found any marketing material for them. Woodstream owned Fenwick during this period, so perhaps the marketing department only pushed the big product lines. In the late 70s Lamiglas, Sage, and Berkley also sold S-glass fly rods, but all the market wanted was graphite. These S-glass rods don't show up often.

I have a 1988 Fenwick blank catalog that only shows one fly rod blank made from Fenglass, a 9 foot, 12 weight. None of the other fly rod blanks are listed as Fenglass. However, that catalog was only valid for that year. For glass at Fenwick, the end was near. A couple years later, Fenwick did not have any glass fly rods in their product line.

Image Image

On blanks the rod tips were measured in 64ths of an inch to match the sizing of tip tops. The rod butts were measured in decimal inches to match the sizing of reelseats and reelseat inserts.

So how can you definitively tell if a particular rod is made from S-glass? Sorry, I don't know of any non-destructive tests. So don't worry about it. If a rod isn't marked E-glass, or S-glass, or T-glass, just judge the rod on its own merits. If you like the way the rod performs, that should be all that matters.

Tom

Post 25 Dec 2022, 09:00 • #20 
Guide
I think this might be the reference you are looking for. Doesn’t prove Fenglass in the 1970’s but definitely in 1982.

Look at the first page of the Catalog I linked to.
The Table of Contents. It describes what Fenglass is. It is S glass and Fenwick took credit for developing it.

Also the poster of the catalog mentions that it is difficult to differentiate from the brown ink designation for Fenglass and the regular black ink. But he clarified it in a reference list at the beginning.

But I agree, you would need to know a lot about the rod, it’s labeling, measurements and manufacturing date to be able differentiate between S, E and S2 glass.

I currently do not have any rods marked Fenglass in my collection. But would like to add the SF-74-4 version to my growing collection of that specific Voyager series.
I include my 340-4 in that group because I believe it was the first 4 pc dual function made by Fenwick. The only reference to that rod is a picture in the Fenwick book with a broken tip. Mine is mint. But also the silliest reel mount. A separate fly reel seat and two sliding rings for the spinning reel which can’t help but get in the way.

Post 25 Dec 2022, 15:39 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
FENGLASS trademark US Serial Number: 73260859 Application Filing Date: May 05, 1980
US Registration Number: 1196909 Registration Date: Jun. 01, 1982

Much more there than I want to look into, but easy to search as USPTO. Looks like Woodstream assigned the Trademark to Berkeley later on, for the sum of ONE dollar. So it wasn't worth much.

S glass wasn't unique to Fenwick, but I guess they had a name for the way they used it. You have to have a name for the same thing others use. S-glass was kind of a last gasp in the fiberglass day in brands as jgestar mentioned above, because its modulus (stiffness, essentially) is greater than E-glass. This didn't have much to do with making better fiberlgass rods, just making proven manufacture seem competitive with latest-greatest graphite, which had a new modulus every year or so for a while there. IM, IMplus. IM 3, . . . IM6 and whatever else someone could think up for "even stiffer than before" for the particular graphite prepreg they used.

Today, S glass has the same old modulus as ever, and some new technology and quality control in the form of S2 glass. In a way, its more viable now, appealing to people coming from graphite, because it is stiffer than E-glass, feeling a little more familiar. Better? That's for the user to say, but I never saw anything much better about it, any more than IM6 vs IM3 or plain old graphite as in the first good graphite rods on the market from makers like Scott and Fisher.

Post 25 Dec 2022, 21:01 • #22 
Guide
I never cast an S glass rod. But the later E glass Classic Glass series are really nice casting rods in my opinion.
Very similar to my early Fenwick rods.

Regarding the transfer of Copyrights and Patents. When companies are sold including the Patent Rights and Copyrights, that’s is where the value is captured. It is typical to use a dollar for the nominal amount as part of the transaction process for the components.

It happens in real estate also. My front yard and house transferred via Deed for market value. My backyard which happens to be in a different town and county transferred for the Sum of One Dollar. Some places you are not allowed to give certain types of properties or rights for free.

I forget the number but at one time I made a spreadsheet. I believe when Woodstream sold a portion of their business to Berkley in 1988 who I believe was later absorbed by Pure Fishing. Don’t quote me on the details. Doing this from memory. I think there were well over 100 various trademarks and also Patent rights associated with their fishing and outdoor divisions. All transferred for a nominal dollar each.

Post 25 Dec 2022, 22:33 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
This one wasn't maintained either.

Post 26 Dec 2022, 03:24 • #24 
Administrator
Fenwick first used Fenglass* in the Lunkerstik 2000 rods, shown in their 1977 catalog (catalog date August 1976). The question of which Fenwick fly rods were produced with Fenglass doesn't have a clear answer. Other than the behemoth FL-108-12F salt water blank, no fly rod blanks in the 1982 or 1988 catalogs are listed as Fenglass. Again, knowledgeable sources say other Fenglass fly rods were made, I just haven't found advertising materials or catalog listings.

Fenwick marked their big 12 weight blank, 'FENGLASS' (first image below). I'll take that as positive proof of composition. The length, line weight, etc., were given on a paper label (second image below), but were not included in the printed label. The sparkle finish is not a photo artifact. The finish really does look like a bass boat. The production department had a sense of humor...

I have two brown Fenwick Woodstream blanks with only paper labels, no printing. I have one brown Fenwick-Woodstream blank with the model number printed on the blank (image below). My big Fenwick rod blank is not marked Woodstream. So just like other Fenwick labels, variations happened over the years. Try not to read too much into them.

Woodstream sold Fenwick to Cascade International Industries in 1987. A couple years later Cascade sold Fenwick to Outdoor Technologies (the renamed Berkley after they purchased ABU Garcia). Now that conglomerate is known as Pure Fishing.

Tom

* The various Fenwick catalogs only describe Fenglass as a new type of fiberglass with a higher modulus than regular fiberglass. They never specifically identify the material as S-glass. However, there are only so many fiberglass types to pick from. Lamiglas, Sage, and Berkley all marketed S-glass rods around the same time, so a supplier must have made the pre-preg material available at a reasonable price. Johnson's Fenwick adds that Fenglass used S-glass for axial fiber and E-glass for hoop fibers. That would somewhat reduce the material price. Before anyone asks, 3M Scotchply, the material used by Phillipson the last dozen years, was not S-glass.

Post 26 Dec 2022, 06:21 • #25 
Piscator
I had a 5-1/2' Lunkerstik 2000, new in 1977, matched with a Daiwa Millionaire 6H - both from Oshman's.
Thanks Tom, what you bring to the table is interesting in an otherwise more than curious thread.
BTW Steve, carbon prepreg is something relatively new.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply