It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:05

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Dec 2022, 21:56 • #1 
Guide
This is a topic that I have been interested in for awhile. You would think that there were a lot of these and that there would be more photos on the Forum or online.
How many of these exist?
Only looking for rods that I haven’t seen in Fenwick catalogs, Fenwick books or the Wiki.
So far , all I have come up with is:

FF70-6 : Photos in the forum.
FF91 :Yellow. Photos in the forum
FF 89 :I have. Photos in the forum.
FF 85-5 Voyageur : I have.

Does anyone have additional information, photos or documentation of other rods in this category.
Thanks

Post 04 Dec 2022, 03:30 • #2 
Administrator
Because the rods were never cataloged, it is hard for a collector to know they existed. Some were more common, such as the FF83 made for the GGACC. Others, like your FF89, may well have been unique. Other rods like the FF85-5 may have started at the Custom Shop and later became catalog listings. In the late 70s, after the Woodstream purchase, Fenwick began selling brown Feralite blanks (worth an eBay saved search). So there may be some, er, um, fantasy Fenwicks out there too. One eBay seller used to chop or rework Fenwicks into new 'collectibles'. Modern computer software and printers can produce very convincing stickers.

At one point fred1369 and gearboy posted a 1971 Fenwick Custom Shop catalog page that listed their greatest hits. I've reposted the image below. Jim Green's interest in tournament casting and salmon fishing shows through loud and clear.

Tom

Post 05 Dec 2022, 21:54 • #3 
Guide
Thanks for those clarifications. I didn’t know the FF85-5 got into a regular catalog. I have a G Serial number and it isn’t in the Custom Shop price list.
The FF83 is, so I didn’t include it my list.

Oddly, I found some pages in a 7 Strand catalog with no date on the cover. But it is post 1968 because it has a copyright on one of the articles. Interesting it has a lot of the same Salmon rods. It references the Voyageurs as “The Travelers”. But does not have the FF-85-5 among the offerings.
Since I can’t confirm the year of the catalog , I guess I should assume it was after 1971.

Later I will post the pages. I need to reduce the file sizes on my computer.
A quick edit. I just looked a little closer at the catalog pages I have. The FF109 and FF109s are listed at $50 and $52. Less than the $60 in the Custom Shop catalog. At my club and going to do some fishing but will follow up later. Now I am really confused.

While I am not saying it is incorrect but it is odd that the Custom Shop prices in 1971 were higher than the same cataloged rods in previous retail catalogs. I think that Custom Shop Catalog is earlier than 1971 for several reasons.
While I can not date the Seven Strand catalogue exactly, it was after 1968 due to the copyright article. And I am pretty sure that the 1972 catalog started the 3 digit numbers. The last photo shows what I believe is a 1972-1973 catalog page.

Am I missing something here?
An additional edit:
Since the catalog after 1971 is the 3 digit rods,I found a photo of the cover to prove it,
then the catalog I am showing is between 1968 and 1972. That should prove that the Custom Shop catalog was either prior to 1968 or that Fenwick was indeed selling the same rods in the retail catalog for less than in the Custom Shop catalog. But highly unlikely.
I am going to stick with my hypothesis until proven otherwise.

New Topic Add Reply