It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Dec 2022, 21:45 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have 9', 10 wt Phillipson Registered that appears perfect except no butt cap and missing fighting butt.

First, does anyone know if this rod originally came with a butt cap? Second any idea where to get a fighting butt.

The fighting butt shown goes great with this rod, except probably a different color than originally came with the rod. This butt belongs to a 9' 9wt Phillipson, so need another.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry

P.S....I already tried Rick's Rods.

Post 03 Dec 2022, 23:32 • #2 
Master Guide
Very cool you scored that rod .
I almost pulled the trigger that rod but my 9ft 8wt Phillipsons are about as Beefy as I think I could handle with my Wrist .
I was kinda scared to step up to a 10wt ..
How is it ?
Man I bet that would be a good rod Down your way Barry .

As to your handle .
Yes that rod was supposed to come with a removable fighting Butt that was stashed in a sod pocket on the original
Factory rod sock .
Royals and Expoxites got the Broze capped versions while everything else got back .

I’ll keep an eye out for a fighting Butt for you .
Bronze will be harder to find that the black
That’s for sure ..

I’d look for a beat down Royal rod with a good extension that can be robbed ..

Good luck
Scotto

Last edited by ottobahn on 03 Dec 2022, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Dec 2022, 23:44 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Scotto,

Only yard cast it so far, but great casting rod. Don't know how it would be casting it all day though.

Do you know if these originally came with some sort of butt plug?

Thanks for your thoughts on what to look for.

Barry

Post 03 Dec 2022, 23:54 • #4 
Master Guide
Hey Barry
They did not come with a plug that I know of .
My Royal BE has the original sock with the side pocket that stores its extension

They all seem to have the same ferrule size so swapping an extension from another should work.

A rod shop may be able to make something cool that would work .

What reel did you balance your Epoxite with?
That’s such a Bada$$ rod !
So hyped you scored it :)
Scotto

Last edited by ottobahn on 04 Dec 2022, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Dec 2022, 00:08 • #5 
Master Guide
Nice find Barry. I mostly use my FF9010 fenwick for my 10wt as it casts better than my Echo Bag 10. I have a System 10 I havent tried casting yet. It feels a lot heavier than my FF9010 (which doesnt fatigue me much at all).
I would have tried for one of those monster Phillipsons if I didnt have the System 10.

I bought an aftermarket fighting butt for my FF9010 and just epoxied it to my rod (permanently). I need to get another and do the same with the System 10 if I like it enough to use.

Post 04 Dec 2022, 01:26 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
fishhuntmike,

Thanks for the information.

I need a fighting butt for my System 10 also. Called Scientific Anglers shop hoping they may have some old stock, but no luck.

Scotto,

None of my traditional 4" reels balances it.
So picked up a Redington Behemoth 9/10 which at 13 1/2 ozs still only brings the balance point back to an inch and a half in front of the grip. Of course with a fighting butt installed should move the balance point back. Makes for awful heavy outfit, so thinking to forget about balance and just use a lighter reel. Figure the Behemoth will work well on my spey rod if I ever decide to use it.

My 9' A&F Salmon/Phillipson also came with a fighting butt, but no butt plug. Maybe they didn't normally come with a plug.

Post 04 Dec 2022, 04:06 • #7 
Administrator
I don't ever recall seeing a simple plug for a Phillipson, just the extension butt like you have. As Scott noted, an original rod bag should have a pocket to hold the extra piece.

If Rick's doesn't have old stock, I can't think of anyone else that would. Does he perhaps have the parts that could be assembled by a custom builder? The two caps on the extension butt were fairly common on Phillipson spinning rods. I wouldn't expect to still find an extension butt with a beat up Phillipson - careless owners lose the extension first. Just like all those Ambassadeur reel cases without the little bottle of spare parts. I would look in those odds & ends boxes under dealer tables at tackle shows.

The EF90S was listed inthe 1974 Phillipson catalog as having a 4 inch extension handle. A Pflueger Supreme 577 might balance the rod (and has a drag that will stop anything that won't break the rod first). That could make a nice small tarpon outfit.

Tom

Post 04 Dec 2022, 05:08 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Tom,

Both the rod bags for my 9 footers have pockets for the extension butts.

Interesting about the end caps on the spinning rods, have to check those out.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Post 04 Dec 2022, 09:08 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Doubt the collector value would be very significant with/without--or with a fabricated substitute. Very easy to make (or have made) a plug and and extension. Can be done to cosmetic preference without trying to fake it as OEM. Plenty of how-to in rodbuilding. I can see why you'd want the original if available, but personally, I wouldn't look long before spending an hour making one instead. After that, OEM might not seem so important, or the search can continue.

Post 05 Dec 2022, 00:08 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I'm in no rush, just never know what's out there until you ask. The registered is such a nice rod I would just like to make it complete.

Also, it's good to know they didn't come with a butt plugs. Can stop looking for them.

If I ever figure out how to do the two handed cast with these short rods I can use the butt I already have on either rod. Although, so far I prefer casting it sans fighting butt.

I do like Tom's idea about finding a spinning rod with end caps that would match up with the reel seat. Though I don't know if they made them in the bronze color.

Thanks for all thoughts.

Post 08 Dec 2022, 18:01 • #11 
Master Guide
Hey Barry ,
I was thinking about your dilemma when I had my Phillie Spin rods out last night .

The Epoxite Spin Rods came with bronze End Caps
My 7ft Salmon Colored (early) two tip rod has the low profile end cap
My 3m Registered rod has the std flared end cap

My Royal spin rod has a bronze seat but gold winding check and End Cap .

My GMS64 rod has the plastic low profile end cap .

Which then spawned an idea For your rod that’s missing the extension.

I scored these Phillipson Cork Checks from a collection this summer.
I have a few in the light bronze and 1 in the dark bronze

You could glue a rubber plug into the cork check cap and then insert rubber plug with cap into rod .
I mocked it up by taping it to the rod butt

Not bad … ??

Then I also thought you could make an Extension by drilling out the cork check fab up a male ferrule that fits with some cork and a Butt cap

I have a nice dark brown Butt cap that was made by National Plastics from Odenton Md
Not sure if Phillipson used them but lots of other rod makers did

Could be semi Factory correct with a Lil’ Maryland style thrown in for good measure.
Just say the word Barry and I’ll send you down some Phillipson Cork Checks for your Project Big Dog !!
Scotto

Post 13 Dec 2022, 14:17 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Scotto,

Appreciate the offer. But, looking at an other way of doing it.

I've been doing some searches for spinning rods with the correct end caps. Wondering if might be able to transform the spinning rod cork into part of the fighting butt.

Thanks,
Barry

New Topic Add Reply