It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:56

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Eponite advise
Post 23 Nov 2022, 07:58 • #1 
Sport
I've been lurking here for quite some time and have spent quite a bit of time going through the archives looking into Phillipsons. I like 8' 6 wts as a rule and think I've decided I would like to try a Eponite blank for my first Phillipson.. It seems that that configuration is somewhat slim on choices. It seems that most people feel most of the rods throw a weight above and below the suggested size with satisfaction. I also realize that I can get other brands in Eponite other than Phillipson that have Eponite blanks. I have a chance to buy a nice D80DFS. ( dry fly special) it is marked HDH but seems most here like it with a 5 wt. I throw a lot of streamers and weighted flies. Is there a better choice than the D80DFS? Currently I'm fishing a Fenwick FF806 and Berkley P-40 8' 6wt and they work well. Is there possibly a 8" 7wt Eponite that excels with a 6 wt. line, that I should consider first.? Still confused and seeking advise.

Thanks for your time,

Newmin

Re: Eponite advise
Post 24 Nov 2022, 21:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like the Phillipsons as they are rated.
As I was getting used to fiberglass, I liked them underlined, but unless it is an "L" light line model, I consider all the 8' Phillipsons at least a 6 wt. I would go for the dfs unless it is overpriced.

Post 25 Nov 2022, 01:28 • #3 
Master Guide
Hey Newmin ,
Great questions !
Let’s unpack it a bit with the River Rods first
The Eponite 8.6 rods are somewhat of an acquired taste .
They are mostly found as 3pc(equal length) versions and those rods are weirdly slow … like mega slow !

Bill Phillipson played around on those rods offering a std 2pc and the funky 3pc DFS (asymmetric length) long butt section then smaller mid , then even smaller tip to quicken the action I would think..

If your looking to get a 8.6 Phillipson River Rod
I’d recommend the Scotchply rods for big streamer duty
Ns ferrule as a 7/8
Glass ferrule as a 6/7/8
The older standard/classic glass 8.6 true-7wt rods are awesome as well .
I like these rods a lot ..
They fish just as good as the later Scotchply rods.

If your dead set on scoring an Eponite 8.6
The rod you want is the “Yellow Master” MF86
Cool unique taper that many thought was just another Scotchply rod ..
Eponite blank but the butt section is beefed up compared to the few Eponite 8.6 rods I’ve compared it to .
It’s listed as dry fly in the catalog so they may have used a butt section from an 9ft 8wt rod with the std 7wt tip section .

Check my locked post about the Phillipson Mylar Masters if you want to see some pics of the Eponite blank underneath the reel seat of a Yellow Master.

Now let’s talk Dry Fly Specials

First thing’s First stop reading this and buy that DFS80 .. :lol
It’s not the jack of all trades your Fenwick or Berkley Rods are .
The DFS is as the name states a dry fly special.
Not a rod I throw giant streamers and double rigs on.
But it throws dries,wets, hoppers and poppers like no other ..
It’s definitely an old school Dry Fly taper .
If you like hyper progressive loops and quick strikes.
DFS rods were made using a 7wt butt section mated to a 6wt tip .
Similar feel to Heddons Fast tip action rods.
Definitely a rod to have in the quiver !

If you don’t like it just Pm me and I’ll find it a loving home . ;)

As for lines on a Phillipson ?
I’m with Carlz ,stick to the line rating for best performance.
You can go up or down one wt ,some mileage may vary .
If you want a 5wt Phillipson get an “L” version on 7.6 and 8ft rods

I see your in NE Pennsylvania
I’m in NE Maryland
If you ever wanted to meet up and cast a few Phillies from my Phillipson 100club just HMU :)

Good Luck
Scotto

Post 25 Nov 2022, 04:06 • #4 
Administrator
newmin wrote:
I like 8' 6 wts as a rule and think I've decided I would like to try a Eponite blank for my first Phillipson...
The Eponite rods are very good rods, but so are the later rods built on Scotchply rod blanks (see the Phillipson rod catalog thread). I wouldn't walk past a Royal Wand, a Deluxe, a Master, or an Orvis Fullflex just because I was thinking Eponite or bust.

newmin wrote:
I have a chance to buy a nice D80DFS (dry fly special) it is marked HDH but seems most here like it with a 5 wt. I throw a lot of streamers and weighted flies. Is there a better choice than the D80DFS?
As a streamer rod, I wouldn't think of a D80DFS first. Would you use it for other fishing conditions? If the rod is from a local seller, definitely test cast it before you buy. If you are buying via the Internet, request the option to return the rod if you pay shipping in both directions. Sellers are asking some ugly prices for Phillipson rods lately. Look for one that has honest wear and an honest price to go with it. If the rod looks 'too pretty' it probably is. Don't pay extra for a collectible rod.

Another point to understand. Fifties era Phillipsons were marked with a suggested silk line. Silk lines didn't match the AFTMA line weights. An HDH was somewhere between an AFTMA No. 5 and No. 6 line. Different people cast with different styles, so try the D80DFS with both a 5 and a 6 weight line. Go with your own opinion of which line feels better - you'll be the one using it on the water.

newmin wrote:
Currently I'm fishing a Fenwick FF806 and Berkley P-40 8' 6wt and they work well.
With the Fenwick and Berkley on hand, do you need another streamer rod?

Tom

Post 25 Nov 2022, 12:12 • #5 
Sport
Thanks for all the advice. This site is a plethora of information. I appreciate the time people take to answer questions. Newman

Post 25 Nov 2022, 12:44 • #6 
Piscator
Here's my friend Curtis, who also posts on the forum, with a river striper on the end of his 8' 3-pc Eponite - we targeted them.
Image Image

Compared to the later Scotchply rod, which I'm also a fan, the eponite have a slower mid (except for the DFS - dry fly special).
Though you can see above, it still has a powerful butt.
Most of the 8' Scotchply rods were rated 7-wt.

There's a rare jewel out there, E80, only made in 1972, which is 8' 6-wt, and my favorite Phillipson for big work.

Post 25 Nov 2022, 13:57 • #7 
Master Guide
Lol :lol
That’s what I get when I’m posting at 1:30am without my glasses ..
I thought Newmin first asked about 8-1/2 Eponite rods then DFS80’s hehe

On 8ft Phillipsons ???
They are ALL good ;)
Every single one of Em!

Let’s face it all Phillipson rods no matter what the size or action are RAD !

Bulldog ain’t the only “Expert” out here ..lol :P

His yellow painted rod is sexier than my natural

Although I think Dr Bulldog may have misremembered that the Expert series was Pre Johnson era .
I believe The experts we’re from 61/62ish after Phillipson switched from phenolic to epoxy on the classic glass rods.

Here is My Expert next to a Mylar Master and a “Classic” rod of the same era

Great action somewhere between an Eponite and a Scotchply rod .
they are crispiest std glass rods Phillipson Made
Awesome tapers !

Keep flying those Phillipson’s
Scotto

Post 25 Nov 2022, 14:13 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
8 feet for E,D,or C--roughy 5, 6, or 7--is the classic 'glass wheelhouse. It would be easier to name a few bad ones than all the good ones. And even the "bad" ones may be simply a matter of poor quality fittings on a pretty good blank. These rods are versatile and don't have a narrow how-to-cast "stroke," holding the tongue a certain way, or "dialing in" to one line as if no other will do. Really, the same could be said of 8 1/2 classic glass for C, 7 or 8, but there's a little more chance of shortcomings in damping or action distinguishing some makes from others. Even so, 7 1/2', 8,' and 8 1'2' are usually all-arounders for all-around anglers who knew how to cast and modify line leader selection to suit the flies and technique of the day. Not finicky as to line type and usually effective with at least two line weights. They are good rods because they do not have a narrow a performance window.

The 8' is the square in the middle no brainer. They are fly-fishing rods. They are comfortable and give good feedback if not forced to try to perform the way some other rod "should" perform. Easy to find a good one, although that may make finding a hair better "great" one harder. That's for 'glass rods in general. Narrow down to a top maker like Phillipson, even more so.

Don't overpay. Don't fuss out the fine points. Get one and try it. Don't get another until you have learned all it can teach you.

Post 25 Nov 2022, 14:55 • #9 
Piscator
One of the deepest-flexing rods I know is the Phillipson RF76L, HEH (5wt).
It absolutely commands its rated line weight.
System 5 gets the edge for light and crisp.

Preference always plays into it. I load all rods with natural haul and short arm movements. Both line speed and "conversation" with the rod occur in my line hand.
I have a friend on this forum who doesn't like his System 5.
I found staggered-ferrule Shakespeare FY-200 S-glass to be a pocket rocket with Teeny line, and another friend who bought one from my description never liked his and sold it.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 04:08 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Just my opinion that Mr Phillipson designed my Eponite 7'6" DFS specially to be a dry fly rod and I imagine the 8' version is just as soft tipped. I think that is what is meant by 'dry fly action'?
I don't believe any thing like a 7wt but and a 6wt tip either, the top section matches the but section 1/2 or 2/3 of it's length then gets soft rapidly. A 'special' taper it would seem. But of course I'm not an expert on dry flies nor rods.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 10:18 • #11 
Piscator
By definition, a good dry fly rod has a short soft tip, long fast mid, and a dead butt.
This lets it accurately cast the leader alone, cast to 50' effortlessly, quickly develop line speed to wring flies and deliver quick accurate casts, deliver sharp strikes while still protecting light tippet. It has butt power to turn fish, and won't cast farther than you can fish a dry fly.
No effort, no thought, no adjusting - the rod does it all.

ImageImage

It was a difficult taper to plane those fine tips into cane in 1934. The lower specific modulus of glass, however, is choice for producing it.
You'll find this taper in glass Heddon T tapers, no surprise Bill Phillipson would match it in Dry Fly Special, certainly fact not opinion.

Quote:
the Expert series was Pre Johnson era .
The reel seat, finish and wrap style dates mine differently.
Mine is certainly Scotchply dated after he recovered the company from Johnson and before his health caused him to sell the company to 3M.
I think the Expert blanks were hand-sorted, picked out special and Bill made them pet projects.
If you can show me a catalog that lists an Expert series, I'd like to see it.

This is the same reel seat used on Scotchply tip-over ferrule Phillipson, Bean LL and Orvis Fullflex.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 11:37 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
The tip over Phiĺlipsons are IMO some of the best flt rods ever made My 7' FlyFox exceeds my skills and does stuff I can do with no other fly rod It is starting to get some wear in the guides tho.I think I will have to have them done by someone at some point

Post 26 Nov 2022, 11:39 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I think you mean the sleeve-ferruled Phillipsons. "Tip over" is a different construction. Not sure if P ever made one that way.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 14:26 • #14 
Master Guide
Not my hill to die on but ..

Trev
Bill Phillipson was the King of using 7wt butt sections mated with 6wt tip sections to create his DFS rods
Goes back to his bamboo days .

Not many Eponite 7.6 rods out here but the few I’ve been able to mic .. the tips seem to be the same between DFS and STD .
Eponites by their taper philosophy don’t ramp a whole bunch they stay elongated In the mid section so it wasn’t hard for a genius like Bill Phillipson to match it to an appropriate butt section from a larger rod blank to achieve the desired action he was looking for.
Have you have or ever cast or fished any other 7.6 Eponite non DFS rods?
Would dig to hear your comparo ?

Dr Bulldog ,
Respect the Heck out of you man .
Still believe you are misremembering your rod

Here is a link from the classic rod forum where you emphatically state your Expert was made pre Johnson sale ..
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 4&start=20

I can understand why you think that rod feels like a Scotchply rod .
Those last std glass rods with the epoxy resin are no joke !!!!

Back in the early days of FFr Flyfishingforgoldentrout mistook the late Std glass/epoxy resin Mylar Master rods for Eponite.
But he was correct In saying the Yellow Master rods were in fact Eponite .
I already answered/confirmed both to my satisfaction
The infamous locked post …
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74022&hilit=Mylar+Master
Wish Richard was around for this ..

Bulldog your theory goes the other end of the rod timeline saying it’s a Scotchply rod

I have described the late std glass rods with epoxy resin as a cross between an Eponite and a Scotchply rod to anyone who will listen ..

I don’t have a catalog with an Expert
But my 1961 catalog has the Classic and the Mylar Master
which you can see in the locked post ..

Your Expert and My Expert share the Exact same wraps red/fuchsia Mylar with black spiral wraps at the cork check and signature wrap followed up with plain black wraps on the rest of the rod ,same hardware and no keeper
Your rod should have 8 total guides…can’t tell by your pic.
Same funky half wells grip , same winding check , same reel seat mines just two tone ..

Your e80 reel seat is a std gen2 phillipson reel seat …
The gen2 std seats went to pocketed butt cap but carried over the “round” slide ring of the Gen 1 std reel seat
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74093

Your E80’s reel seat looks like it has the early style round slide ring .
The later pocketed slide rings come on late 60s green masters /early 70s rods

BTW the LL bean reel seat you posted is not the same as your expert rod .
Your LL has a completely different butt cap

Looks like a no rock butt cap since its round,has double knurling on it and is not pocketed .

The 1961 “Classic” series rods got the same treatment as the Expert rods just different color way
Green Mylar with jade spiral wraps at check and signature wrap , then plain jade green wraps on rest of rod ,same 8 total guides two/tone gen2 std reel seat .same funky half wells grip

Mylar Masters were the upgraded Std Glass model in 1961
got gold Mylar on all the wraps , plus 1 extra guide for 9 total guides , and a hookeeper . 2 tone gen2 std reel seat , same funky half wells grip

Another dead giveaway is the label

Your rods and the 1961 rods label are exactly the same style

Note that your expert , my expert , my (3)Mylar masters, and my Classic series all share a very unique label that is exactly the same..
First they all have silk line ratings with NO AFTMA numerical line weight designation .

Second they have No rod weight in OZ’s.

All their rod labels say
made in USA first ,then model, then silk line rating

These rods in question are the ONLY Phillipson rods I’ve found to feature this style label …

The grips are all the same funky half wells grip .
The only other Phillipson glass rod I know to feature this style grip is some of the later green masters and some rods that were built by Ricks .

The Experts may have been an un cataloged pet project of bills .. but

I’d bet any rod in my 105 Phillipson Arsenal you’d like …
Up against your e80 that it’s not a Scotchply rod !

Pretty easy to find out ..

Let’s do this !! Lol hope your not mad at me that we disagree on this one ..
(Don’t try this at home kiddies)
:lol :lol

Newmin ,
Got your Pm
put your info in my mobile ,
Expect a call today or tomorrow. ;)

Tight lines to all
Fauxfessor Phillipson

Post 26 Nov 2022, 15:34 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Scotto, what do you mean by " Std Glass " ? is that the Travarno 'glass of the early days?

"Have you have or ever cast or fished any other 7.6 Eponite non DFS rods?
Would dig to hear your comparo ?"
I don't know, that DFS is the only one I have that is marked Eponite, but, I think you've mentioned some other rods used the process, maybe the GMF76? Right now I can't recall what the other P models I have are, but I haven't noticed them having the soft tips even when they are severely overlined.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 18:13 • #16 
Master Guide
Hey Trev ,
Phillipson “Standard Glass “ rods are all the rods that are not Eponite or Scotchply/Epoxite rods.

As best as I’ve been able to put things together..
here’s my timeline for Phillipson rods ..

The very first Phillipson glass rods were the
P76f
P86f
Hand scripted rods

Next
Then in 53 Phillipson comes out with 3 std glass rods tiered in the following grades
“Special “ red wraps silver gen1 std seat
“Challenger” pacific green wraps green gen1 std seat
“De-Luxe” black spiral wraps black “no rock” seat

They feature a printed phillipson script label but the model numbers we’re still hand scripted
These rods have 2 different Verisions
The early rods printed rod label is small
Then later the same label but printed larger
Same hand scripted model numbers on reverse side of print label.
These rods seem to be the same glass similar 8.6ft taper but different 7.6 taper as the earlier hand scripted rods

Then in 54ish
The special ,the challenger and the deluxe change to rods that don’t say special/challenger/deluxe

but have the phillipson world finest label and
And get a model number instead
With the early rods of this series getting hand scripted model numbers then later ones with printed model numbers

The Special becomes the “S” series
Purple wraps tipped in red , red reel seat
Phillipson put the S first on some labels and the S last on some …
Example 76s vs s76

The Challenger becomes the “R” series
Pacific green and red spiral wraps
Red&green reel seats
Same as the Specials
The Challengers R can be found first or last .
Example 80R and R80

The DeLuxe rods become the “P” series
They change the wrap style to black tipped in gold then black .
Carry over the hammer grip and No rock seat from the original deluxe rods

Lots of folks think the R stood for Royal like the later rods but they are Challengers

These rods are built on different tapers and use a different cloth with less clear coat than the earlier rods

In 1955 we get the Eponite rods as the high end models and the std glass rods become the entry level mid level rods.

On the std glass rods ..
“S” series specials and the “R” challenger series carry over

But we get a new entry level rod that slots in under the special and challenger ..

The Power Kast “T” series
Same blank plain red wraps red seat wells grip

Also the Mitey Lite drops ..as a 1pc
(Mitey Lites are std glass not Eponite )

The Deluxe “P” series std glass rods become DeLuxe Eponites ..
Same model numbers same warps and cosmetics but now built on Eponite blanks.
The decal even says genuine Eponite blank..
This is your DFS model trev …

The High spec “X” series is sometimes misidentified as a Royal but it’s not ..
The X series rods were actually just Called
“The Eponite”
if you have an “X” series rod you’ll notice the two-tone Eponite decal without the words genuine blank ..
Spiral wraps ,cigar grip ,tapered check with a hi spec no rock reel seat

Okay
Now we get to the late 50s
Say 57-59
The Eponite rods carry over unchanged
Deluxe and “The Eponite” Xseries

But we get a big change on the std glass rods

Phillipson debuts a quartet series of all new std glass rods
All New revised tapers
not sure about the cloth and resins being different than the R/S/T(power kast) series rods

New rods listed be grade low to high ..
The Scout
The Chieftan
The Stream Knight
Regal Lancer

Same blanks but different cosmetics and hardware and rod selection some even getting saltwater specific rods .
Regal Lancers getting the most rod models better wraps without paint trim , extra guide and a final factory dip of phenolic clear coat over the paint vs the lesser grade models

Mitey Lite carries on and gets a two piece

Std glass Note ::
I think the Phillipson “305” model fits in with these rods somewhere
like maybe preceding
They have the same/similar paint to a stream knight ..

There’s another Master Kast standalone series with the auto reel trigger ..
Yellow wraps half well grip with trigger cable running they handle for auto reel use

Then “master kast” trigger grip becomes an option on the std glass Mylar Master and Lancer Eponite

Eponite glass note:
The Eponite Lancer and Aristo need to mentioned but as of now I can’t pin them down on the time line…

1960/61
Phillipson switches from phenolic to epoxy resin on the very last std glass rods

Tapers carry over from the earlier “quartet” rods

1961 rods
Mylar Master
“Classic”

Last Glass note:
I believe the Expert series rods fit in here on the timeline

The natural tone blanks take on an Eponitesque look ..
and the performance is bang on with these rods
Think of it this way…
The last revised standard glass taper with its slightly larger than Eponite butt section mixed with an “iron-chef’d” version of the Eponite process Equals ..
a weirdly unique but bad a$$ sleeper rod

The Eponites change up here ..

The DeLuxe Eponite loses the hammer grip and no rock seat and gets the cigar grip with tapered check and a gen2 std two tone reel seat
Mylar at the winding check and signature wrap
Panted and natural versions .

“The Eponite” X series becomes the top spec Royal Eponite .
Hand picked natural Eponite blanks
cigar grip , tapered check , hi spec no rock seat carries over from X series ,spiral wraps on double loop snakes
The sweetest Phillies ever in my opinion!!

Philiipson plant catches fire
Bill Claims bankruptcy and sells company to Johnson[The Phillipson stockholders sold the company to Johnson Reels - Tom]

The Standard Glass rods story ends at this point …

John’s comes out with the Uniglass rods on the profile 800 and 600
But carry over Eponite blanks for the profile 400 series

Profile 200 rods (spin and cast only ) I believe may have been Phillipson std glass rods but we’re most Likely true temper or at croix made rods not sure ..

Bill buys company back
Comes out with the yellow master rods
MF.. that advertisement says powerpact like the Scotchply rods but studies have shown these rods to be Eponites .

I believe Bill changed the Formula from the original Uniglass rods

The uniglass branded rods seem to have more heft to them vs their later Phillipson Ns Ferruled Scotchply rods .

I also believe here is where there are some and variety of special tapers …
I believe phillipson tweaked his tapers and definitely had some slightly different spec ones

Those Orvis 7.6 rods ain’t the same taper as a Green Master rods
And there is some variety of “production variances” to keep things Spicy as well

Eponite phases out on the yellow masters

Everything is Scotchply from this point in no particular order …
Royal
Royal Wand
Green master G-Mf…
Pacemaker
Fly Fox
3M Master
DeLuxe
Swamp Fox
Swamp Fox Deluxe
3m swamp Fox
The kit rods and blanks …

All the private label rods..
LL Bean
Orvis
Macy’s
Abercrombie

Eponite note:
I want to verify if the Abercrombie “Yellowstone” rods are Eponite or Scotchply

and Epoxite sleeve ferrule rods
which is Scotchply done with Eponite hi pressure and heat process

And finally the epoxite spigot rods which are more fishers than phillipsons …

Shwew I need a sip of tea after that mind scramble ..

Keep it Reel
Phillipson ..

Last edited by ottobahn on 26 Nov 2022, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 18:33 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Scotto,

Thanks for the great information. I always wondered where my 7 1/2' Powr-Kast fit into the time line.

Did you ever think about writing a book about Phillipsons?

Barry

Post 26 Nov 2022, 19:55 • #18 
Master Guide
Thanks Barry
Appreciate the props ..
I just told Tom this was my last Phillipson Post
:lol but I forgot I’ve got one in the can especially for you in regards to reply you bounced before I got a chance to respond about loving the country brookies live in ..
but lovin to chase Bass even more ..
I think you’ll dig it …
Thanks for posting up your Power Kast T76
I’ve got one and I believe G-man has one on the way ..
Here’s a catalog shot of your Rod
A super Bagain at $8.95

Trev here’s your P76

Bloodhound wherever you are ??
Here’s your X series “Eponite”

Carlz
Thank you so much for hooking me up with with Ratface’s Challenger
RatfaceMcdougal up above here’s your baby ..

And lastly to Mrs Ottobahn..
You don’t know it yet but here’s your Christmas present …
S76 special rod for a special lady who’s favorite color is purple .

Happy Holidays all
Dr Phil (Thanks for the nickname Mike!) :P

Post 26 Nov 2022, 20:25 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Wow Scotto, ton of info there, thanks, so my DF86 Deluxe, my GMF76 Master, RF66C Royal are all Scotchply. The line numbers told me they were made in the '60s. But, if My GMF on a yellow blank is Scotchply, what yellow masters are you calling "yellow masters" that are on Eponite?
Another note for your history, my Eponite DFS is an X76DFS - has a speckled looking blank that I think people call butterscotch, gold wraps and the no rock seat. 3 3/4oz HDH with what I call a cigar grip, similar to the Orvis rods.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 21:01 • #20 
Master Guide
Trev that’s a super stoker you have an
X76 DFS !!!!! :eek
Very rare lil bird you’ve got there ..
I thought you had a Dlx P76 DFS

I just picked up this X76

Such a Sweetheart of a rod .
Only fished it a few days so far but it’s definitely in my top 10 all time phillispn rods …

Here’s the catalog listings for the X series Eponites

And another one which I believe to be a later catalog

Sure would love to put our two X-76’s together one day …
What a casting session that would be !!

As for the Yellow Master rods
They have Yellow vinyl coated nylon wraps tipped in black
They look like this one

And model number of MF..

The G in G-Mf is for green …

Glad I was able to help you confirm your Scotchply rods..
They are great fishing tools ..

Get that DFS out and catch some fish for me ..
Scotto

Post 26 Nov 2022, 21:27 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the catalog picture of my rod.

Price of $8.95 sounds pretty good. Of course that would be about $140.00 in today's dollars.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 21:57 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Yep, Scotto, that is the same rod X76DFS, yours looks better than mine.
I got to see what the rod would do not too long after I got the rod when xNYkid fished with it one after noon. I'm not a good enough caster to really appreciate the dry fly action part of it. But I did stubborn up enough to make it fish for me, even taught it how to roll cast, but the timing is special. i can tell in three casts if the rod and I on the same frequency on a given day and if we ain't I just put it up and use another more forgiving rod.
Of the P-rods I have the little Royal is my favorite, like the FF80 it just casts with out effort or thought.
I haven't yet settled on a line that suits the GMaster or the Deluxe. Both are more powerful than I expected but not very lively.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 22:10 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
That was actually a Chieftain made with hexcel glass, not an eponite.

Post 26 Nov 2022, 23:05 • #24 
Master Guide
Hey bassakwards ..
I think you misread my post .
I state that
the Chieftan rods are made on Std glass not Eponite .
Here’s a cut and paste job from the post ..
Quote ,,
But we get a big change on the std glass rods

Phillipson debuts a quartet series of all new std glass rods
All New revised tapers
not sure about the cloth and resins being different than the R/S/T(power kast) series rods

New rods listed be grade low to high ..
The Scout
The Chieftan
The Stream Knight
Regal Lancer

I think :lol you’ve got your self as your handle suggests lol

Trev .
Those lil 6.6 rods are Dynamite …
I’ve got
Yellow master 6.6
Green Master 6.6
Abercrombie featherweight 6.6
And a yellow Orvis fullflex spin/fly 6.6

Sweet you’ve got a Royal .. My favorite Scotchply rod along with the Profile 800 rods

For your Gmf76 try these two dirt cheap lines
Scientific Anglers Aircel “Panfish” 5/6” short 30ft head 150ish grains ..
Phillipson 7.6 rods like this Wf line especially if you want to quicken that greenie up a bit ..

If your looking for a std trout taper try ..
Perfect Hatch guide series wf6 it’s available at big box Dicks Sporting Goods is made by Northernsport from Canada/UK is $35 retail comes with welded loop .
Plays very nice with Phillipson 7.6 rods as well
Looks like this

If you’ve got some 406 wf7 line around I’d try that on the green master 7.6
My profile 400 eponite 6wt rod rod takes no prisoners when throwing 406 wf7 .
Absolutely Crushes it!!!

I know a few guys that complain about 406 dt6 and wf6 not loading the way they expected

I get the same questions on their 7 and 8wt lines having issues playing nice on certain rods

The 406 are presentation lines that are true to weight so folks coming from modern lines sometimes get perplexed when using 406 lines but are too scared to speak publicly about their concerns.

My fix for them is simply to upline 1wt on WF lines and that usually puts them where they need to be .

Some shy Dt 406 guys have the same issue but usually being caught between the 5dt and 6dt . (Everyone thinks it’s cooler to throw the lightest line possible)
I throw whatever works for the job at hand
I’m definitely not a line snob..

Everyone I know who uses 406 lines for 7 and 8wt throw their Wf lines (myself included)

For your Df86 you may want to try a Bass taper Wf line in 7/8
I like this older yellow Orvis Clearwater wf7 line
Has short and half wt heavy with Sa’s ast coating
Got it dirt cheap at the Orvis outlet in Pa
Looks like this

It’s been changed to a newer Sage color line that supposedly floats better .. I know the price sure floated up higher ..

I’d use the Sa Aircel “Bass” 7/8 as an nice $40 alternative same short 30 ft head the panfish line has .
Works great on the 8.6ft rods

Or if your down with a trout taper try 406 Wf in 7wt or 8wt
I just love to shoot a little line with old glass rods

Hope my recommendations don’t muck it up for you guys ..
Dr Phil

Post 26 Nov 2022, 23:44 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Ottobahn, I meant to respond to Bulldog’s post about the striper. I caught that on a Chieftain.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply