It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:06

New Topic Add Reply
Dumpster rescue
Post 19 Nov 2022, 01:52 • #1 
This poor old Daiwa was ear marked for the dump, and I just couldn't have that. Does anyone have any info about it? Model #??46. 8 1/2' rod with an unusual translucent brown blank. It's going to need some repair to the cork and one guide needs to be replaced. I'm guessing it's a 7 or 8 weight, but I will have to put a couple of lines on it and see how it casts. Will probably end up going to someone who doesn't have a rod...after I have caught a few fish with it...Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Re: Dumpster rescue
Post 19 Nov 2022, 08:26 • #2 
Master Guide
Woah! Saved from the claws of doom! Im a notorious (and proud) dumpster diver. Glad for your find. I wish I new more about the model. Given the length and metal ferrule, I'd probably guess 7 weight myself. If possible, I start trying to figure out what weight it likes using DT lines. You very well may find it like some bizarre moder wf taper just fine, but I find it easier to start with DT lines.

Post 19 Nov 2022, 10:12 • #3 
Guide
The best kind! Like yard sale finds...antique/resale stores with neglected treasure in the $5-20 range

My friend in TorC New Mexico just found am 8 1/2' 3 piece Silaflex in great shape, but will have to "pay up" top more than $10..the store owner thought it was bamboo

Post 19 Nov 2022, 10:51 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The only Daiwa I have at the moment is a 6ft, 6pc spin/fly that I made fly-only, has that same looking blank and tip into butt ferrules.

In the past folks with Daiwa's have commented that they are soft, smooth rods. I would try a 6wt first. Have fun with it, and keep us informed

Post 19 Nov 2022, 13:13 • #5 
Master Guide
I have an 8' Diawa #2045 that I refinished. I've only cast it with a 6wt DT and it did just fine, so as previously mentioned, start with a 6 and work up from there.

Bruce

Post 20 Nov 2022, 20:19 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I had a very similar Daiwa fly rod.Custom something or other.Sold it over the summer.I believe mine was rated for 8wt line.Mine had foam grips tho.I never cast it as i had many 8' 8wts .I think i got it at a garage sale.It was a pretty blank you could nearly see thru.Had all the fancy wraps like yours.A guy bought to teach his grand kids to fly fish.

Post 21 Nov 2022, 11:10 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for showing. "Dumpster rescue" is just about always a good idea, since--worst case scenario--you know where it came from and can always put it back. To me, one of the greatest benefits is that you learn to judge a rod for what it is without reference to what advertising or other descriptions tell you it is. You try the rod--after inspection for faults in the guides that could damage a fly line--and see what the rod itself tells you. Especially in the 1950s and 60s, new rods weren't surrounded by techno-babble and micro-specification decals and lettering. You tried them off a rod rack and felt them out as to fishing traits. Other than that, wow, rod-building and repair learning galore at low cost and little risk. And before going to worst case scenario--a source of salvage components, 'glass sections for other repairs, for stents, for spigots, sleeves or just about anything else you might need a composite tube for.

Post 21 Nov 2022, 11:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Wish i had saved some old broken rods for just those purposes.

Post 21 Nov 2022, 19:19 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Hersh if you ever need a hunk hit me up, I have lots of scrap.

Post 22 Nov 2022, 19:41 • #10 
I've done a little work to the rod using stuff I had lying around the house.
First I found a period correct (?) Daiwa reel with an 8wt. line that will pair up nicely.

Then I replaced the missing guides. (Btw, did I put this one on backwards? Does it matter?

Finally, just have to repair the missing section of cork on the handle.

Hoping to take the inflatable out for a drift on the Cowichan River this weekend and point this rod at a few of the Coho that are running right now. We'll see how it holds up against these rockets.

Last edited by Mustardfishing on 03 Dec 2022, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Nov 2022, 20:09 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Looking good,kind of a rat rod .Those are good reels too.I have a couple,and paid next to nothing for them.The 706 is the little brother.Unlike a lot of the clones you can actually tighten the click pawl drag down quite a bit and while fighting a fish.I like that you are repairing instead of replacing the cork.Let us know how it casts ,i only owned the 1 Daiwa fly rod but have had 3 or 4 glass spinning rods they made ,my kids used them growing up.

Post 23 Nov 2022, 21:18 • #12 
Guide
Mustardfishing, hope your cork handle repair goes well, and that the rod works out well for you too.

Post 24 Nov 2022, 11:27 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Well worth a trial run and a piecemeal repair. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if that inspires a more complete redo to have a versatile workaday or backup rod.
The Daiwa click-pawl is fine quality reel and perfect match. Thanks for showing--and more as the fixups and fishing develop.

Post 03 Dec 2022, 15:37 • #14 
Finished the cork repair. Got a little too aggressive with the Dremel tool in a couple of place, but there don't seem to be any "hotspots". Pretty sure I could fish this rod all day long without any issues.
Is there anything that I have lying around the house that might be used the condition the cork?

Post 04 Dec 2022, 09:11 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I know it may be heresy but you could varnish the cork.Right before my uncle passes he gave me a pair of G/C spinning rods with Mitchell reels.They had been fished hard for 50 years .the cork is perfect .Rods probably had the guides replaced a few times.My uncle chased panfish all over the Midwest and south .These rods saw extreme use to put it lightly.The cork is perfect.

Post 04 Dec 2022, 09:32 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Nice to have your progress report ! I think if you fish that rod a lot, you will wind up wanting to replace the grip. Fun to learn and easy to do. In the meantime, if dry as it looks, might be a good candidate for boiled linseed oil as described here. I think new cork is best left alone and given simple care, but if a grip has been rode hard and put away wet, that's a chance to try something: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16463&p=100200&hilit=vegetable+oil#p100176

Post 04 Dec 2022, 10:13 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
From around the house, you could also try baby oil lightly rubbed in with your hands.

Post 26 Dec 2022, 02:10 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I have an old Daiwa rod that looks like yours.It had that metal section under the cork like yours.I changed that but it is a lot of work.I used a WF6F on it and it wasnt too bad.I paid a whole $15 at a flea market for mine.I actually caught a really nice bass on it.

Post 26 Dec 2022, 17:21 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
after casting it a bit, you might like it. That's one of those blanks that might deserve a full redo.

New Topic Add Reply