It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Nov 2022, 14:58 • #1 
Sport
Hi all,
Tom advised me to return this my latest auction rod, but I choose to own it and the snafu. :eek

Sorry script pics inverted...
Heddon Pal Superlative 7 1/2', trout, E HEH blank in Thorobred dress - an obvious restoration-modification but fairly well done, and I do like it as a longer partner for my Orvis Golden Eagle 6 1/2' (4) kit rod.

It's the unpainted version rather than faux bamboo, ring on wood reel seat, 9 guides, sound and tight ferrules, etc. It really flexes deep, even with just a shake check, partly the weight of course. It calls out "m e d a l i s t" for my favorite 1494. Although even a bit more tip heavy, I do really prefer a vintage Battenkill 5/6. Thanks to PMs, posts, and the catalogs here for much information, I still can't date the blank other than after faux bamboo 51-54.

Comment as you like jgestar, ottobahn, wrong88, jeffsod, majicwrench, ...all Heddon enthusiasts. I'll take my lumps for spending too much -again for the last time!
I fish everything anyway.
Thanks as always, Charlie

Post 09 Nov 2022, 15:25 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice restoration.I like my Heddons.My first flyrod was Heddon.I think i am down to 7 or 8 having sold a couple over the summer.They are somewhat common in my area, maybe a regional thing.Taking my 7' pro 5 weight fishing soon.Have been reluctant as it is mint and so is the Battenkill 5/6 reel on it.It is nearly identical to my first flyrod.

Post 09 Nov 2022, 16:38 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I have a “55 trout” in that length and line marking that I like. No idea what you think of as “too much,” but if you like the rod, that’s a minor complaint, to the point of irrelevance. After all, if you’re even vaguely familiar with the general price range for vintage rods, it’s hard to go a hundred or two over market; warning bells would go off. And although I’ve gotten a couple of great vintage bargains, I’ve never ended a day’s fishing thinking “that was fun - or would be if I hadn’t spent an extra $20 on the rod.” If that was something to calculate tightly, I wouldn’t have burned the gas to get there.

Post 09 Nov 2022, 20:56 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
So does it cast well? It is pretty and looks beautiful. If you need an original to be happy, then you would have returned it. I would fish that all day long.

Post 09 Nov 2022, 21:09 • #5 
Sport
Good points Upstream and carlz, and those feelings are my reasoning to enjoy fishing rather than just collect. "Too much" in this case begins with a two, but pales against the price of a new Superfine Glass with none of the nostalgic character that I just love.
Casting is coming, and if it's like my other deep flexing soft rods about 30' of the correct line will feel like they melt together.

Post 09 Nov 2022, 21:58 • #6 
Guide
Hey if you’re happy with it, that’s what counts. Glad you’re enjoying it!

Post 10 Nov 2022, 08:06 • #7 
Guide
I have a "Thorobred" in same length, same color. It's got l950's written all over it, if you know what I mean (though I'm not sure I do!). A crisp and responsive
rod I use on a bluegill pond pretending it's summer l959, Ike is president, Elvis is in the army, and graphite hasn't been invented.

Post 10 Nov 2022, 08:46 • #8 
Sport
Yes WD68, I get that 50s vibe too.
A bit surprised at your "crisp and responsive" take though. All the pre-60s 'glass I've cast are anything but crisp, although responsive at a given line load could apply. I have lots of OlGlass fishing experience, and find that these rods require almost slow-mo stroke, and correctly lined, reach a point where it feels almost effortless with the line in the air. As noted, my little Orvis likes about 130 grains of line out.
On lines, today's weight labels are so skewed to actual weights you have to dig deep to figure out what the head length and weights are. Only Cortland is right up front in there descriptions, as far as I can tell.

Like me you know what you like, Charlie

Post 10 Nov 2022, 10:42 • #9 
Guide
Yep--crisp only in relation to some mushy stuff I'd been fishing. Use a Cortland peach on it. Hell, it LOOKS crisp!

Though I need it like a hole in the you-know-where, just bought a Garcia Conlon 2404 (if I'm remembering that correctly). 7 1/2 ' 6-weight, and apparently designed
to match a design by Russ Peak. From a more recent date than the Heddon, but this one is criss....ssss...pppp! I have an Epic and really don't see much of a difference.

But anyway, the more I fool around with fiberglass, the more I'm convinced it changes, for the better, the whole fly-fishing experience, in ways I'm sure I don't have to explain to Forum members.

Thanks to all.

Post 11 Nov 2022, 06:23 • #10 
Sport
WD68,
Good find on that 2404, or whatever 2400 series it is. Does it have the super z ferrules? I think Russ Peak may have been in corroboration on that rod line.
Is the tip section longer? I'm curious about when they began to do that.

I'd be interested in one of those 2400s if it had those features, Charlie

Post 11 Nov 2022, 07:32 • #11 
Guide
Thanks, Charlie. It's the five-star brown 2402-A model, with internal aluminum ferrule, both sections same length. Just bought it from Bob Selb at Classic Flyfisherman, after doing some research on it here on the Forum. Looks like it was never fished.

I bought some three-star rods as a kid but never could afford the five star! so you can see why I was tempted. Better late than never.

I've had bad luck with other Garcia's, though that staggered section business does seem to create a rod that can really sling out a sink-tip line, which is reason enough to like them.

Hope you and FFR members are all getting in some late season fishing!

Post 11 Nov 2022, 10:51 • #12 
Sport
Thanks for the reply WD68,

I sent Mr. Selb a "grab bag" of 8 rods two years ago to skirt high shipping costs. Seemed to be a good move mutually, not a consignment deal, he fronted me a check on my word.

Since this rod I have is already bastardized, I feel loose to continue with spiffing and tinkering. Funny thing is, if I had this configuration of old funky Pal I would have my builder put these components on it! I always thought a red and black theme looked classy and subtle on dark textured weave 'glass.

Anyone else who has the wood and ring seat? It's different to me, secure and pretty light compared to the synthetics of the day. I don't like the look or feel of plastic on vintage fiberglass.

I hope more members responses continue, thanks for all so far -Charlie

New Topic Add Reply