It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:39

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Oct 2022, 10:21 • #1 
Sport
Greetings,

New guy here and been lurking for some time. I broke out a few of my old glass rods this spring and had a lot of fun. A Cortland Pro Crest and H&I Mohawk Rainbow and Fenwick made on a FL-2 blank.
Been searching the archives for info. I can't seem to determine if the Parametric with the white label is older, newer, same or different than the others made in USA. Any help appreciated.

Newmin

Post 26 Oct 2022, 14:42 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
A picture of the white label would help. They made a bunch of different models, which had different labels too.

I have a bunch of PM's really sweet old rods.

What model is yours? Length?

Post 26 Oct 2022, 15:32 • #3 
Administrator
The main page link to the photo posting instructions is broken. My mistake on that. I hope to get it fixed soon.

Meanwhile, here is a good link to a photo posting tutorial. Please give it a try and ask questions if it doesn't make sense.

Tom

Post 28 Oct 2022, 11:52 • #4 
Guide
I think para metrics with a white label and a full wells grip are para metric standards. There is deluxe series para metric with slim cork grips and curt gowdy series with dark burnt cork grips. The USA made para metrics have hollow spigot ferrules and the blanks have a chestnut brown color to them. I think around 1970 Berkley moved the rod factory to Taiwan and the para metrics made there are solid ferrules and the blanks are very dark brown.

Post 28 Oct 2022, 12:58 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
There is Parametric without any other designation...just a P ..I suspect (but don't know) that those were the first. Then they made Parametric Standard (PS on rod), PD, Parametric Deluxe. PC Parametric Custom and PG Parametric Gowdy. Maybe others, that is what I have seen

Post 28 Oct 2022, 17:48 • #6 
Master Guide
Hey guys here’s a white label PS40-7’6”

And here’s a NON white label PS40 8ft 3pc
Just for Majicwrench … I believe this rod/configuration is his favorite :P
Brand New / Mint in the Tube

White Label rods came out in 69ish I thought .
There was the ..
Parametric Std white label
Fibre-flex white label
Micro-flex white label
Tri Sport white label
Talisman white label
Buccaneer white label
Anyone know of any I missed?

Not sure which were USA made vs Korea Vs Taiwan.
Other than if it has a hollow male ferrule and a snug fitting/slimline female ferrule it’s most likely a US built rod.

I have a white label Fibre-Flex in the basement somewhere???
Need to check the ferrule but I believe it’s Korean made.

Hopefully Magicwrench could take us down the rabbit hole a lil bit more ?
Carlz knows just how much of a Berkley nut I am :lol
Don’t ever get me started on the “Unsanded/ribbed” Berkley rods!
I’d never shut up!! ;) LoL
Scotto

Post 28 Oct 2022, 19:01 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Once upon a time we had a thread of all the weird names Berklley gave their base model rod. Spartan, Tri Flex, Cherrywood, Winfield? Talisman Micro flex are a few. All the same basic rod.

Yeah the 3pc 8ft rod is a sweet smooth caster. What a joy with a 6wt, they are rated 7wt and will deal with that too, but really, they love a 6wt.

Post 28 Oct 2022, 19:18 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Cosmetic variations--especially in good run-of-the-mill rods than can be rebuilt to the owner's liking--are less important than knowing the continuity of the blank(s) itself--the basis of a finished rod marketed in variant "grades," trim levels, trade names, and so on. Often the blank was the same, possibly trimmed or sanded, or culled more carefully, but the same. I think that was the case with many Berkleys. Probably the bunch Magic just mentioned, and some of the parametrics as well. Could be searched out here, or somebody may remember the details.

Post 30 Oct 2022, 16:17 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Berkley rods were all over the place. I found a yellow k-mart Berkley rod. I think it was the rod I used for the first "winter rebuild" thread.
ottobahn has it now.

There were a lot of different brands on those blanks as they were sold as store brands by more than K-mart.

I gifted an 8' 3pc PS to Gearboy once. To me, it's a very nice rod.

Post 31 Oct 2022, 05:31 • #10 
Sport
Thanks for the info. much appreciated.

New Topic Add Reply