It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:40

New Topic Add Reply
Where next?
Post 22 Oct 2022, 22:46 • #1 
Guide
I have pretty much acquired every desirable or not Fenwick freshwater rod with the exception of the rare 7 piece and maybe the FF 83 Oakland Fly Casting Club which is not really a great rod. I even have a couple of unknowns/ undocumented like the FF 89 9 wt, an unlikely A series FF 70-4. A non Serial Number FF75. And a FF85 6 wt. I just missed a FF755 because I really do not think it was worth it to pay more than a $160. for a mediocre rod. I love my Japanese market 4 wts. I even have a pre Feralite 340-4 Spin/Fly with a Fenwick Eagle logo. I have a unique unduplicated Model version of every letter version of the Serial Numbers from Pre-Serial to P. I have never seen a T Serial number fly rod.. And not knocking Fenwick’s. I do love them. Best fly rods in my opinion.

Re: Where next?
Post 22 Oct 2022, 23:20 • #2 
Master Guide
Time to hit some water.

Post 22 Oct 2022, 23:38 • #3 
Guide
I do that every day I can. Lol. Catching panfish on recently acquired FF80-4 at lunchtime in Avon MA. Beautiful fall Friday with high 60’s temperatures . Gentile winds using a Rio 6 wt Stillwater WF Floating line. And a bead head Wolly Bugger

Post 22 Oct 2022, 23:49 • #4 
Master Guide
Pretty nice being retired huh!

Phillipson, Shakespeare......

Bamboo?

Post 23 Oct 2022, 02:48 • #5 
Master Guide
Fredderf ,
Where next?
What’s your Yellow FL list looking like?
I’m kinda shocked :( as hardcore of a Fenwick guy that you seem to be and you’ve given no love to the Yellow FL’s ?
The “Fenwick Freaks” may start to question your bonna-fides ;) JK
Show us the FL quiver!!!
Scotto

Post 23 Oct 2022, 16:43 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Fredderf wrote:
maybe the FF 83 Oakland Fly Casting Club which is not really a great rod.

I just missed a FF755 because I really do not think it was worth it to pay more than a $160. for a mediocre rod.

Those are two "trolls".

There are a lot of great Fenwicks, but there is no way to fish them all

Post 29 Oct 2022, 18:33 • #7 
Guide
I do not really know much about the yellow FLs. Are these rods made from blanks?

I was out today around sunset hoping to catch some fall stocked rainbows. Cool day, no wind.

And my daughters friends wants me to teach them how to fly fish.
I guess I will have to figure out which rods I am comfortable with them banging up.

Post 29 Oct 2022, 22:03 • #8 
Master Guide
Time to try some other vintage "economy" non-fenwick brands for potential "beaters". You may find a few and discover some absolute keepers (non-loaners) by accident and discover you even might fish a couple of them more than fenwicks.

Whats next?

I tried fishing yesterday for the first time EVER with a bamboo (vintage 9.5' 8wt) flyrod for steelhead on the columbia river. At first I was a bit careful worried i might break it and after 1/2 hr was fishing it just like graphite. No luck but something new for me.

Post 30 Oct 2022, 07:29 • #9 
Master Guide
Just an early Sunday morning thought, maybe next Berkley Parametric rods. They range from 6’3” to 9’ and come in at least five different trim levels. Great rods that don’t get as much attention here as they did in the past.

New Topic Add Reply