It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:29

New Topic Add Reply
FF80-4 oddball markings
Post 15 Oct 2022, 13:00 • #1 
Guide
I am really glad to be able to acquire this rod. I was the only bidder for 5 days and someone tried to snipe it at the last minute but missed by a few dollars.
I was originally interested because I did not have that Letter series and I noticed another unusual thing besides the hand lettered Model number.
No line wt markings and the Feralite label seemed odd. It had a Fenwick Eagle logo between the Twist On-Twist -Off and the word Feralite.
I actually thought it was a kit made from a blank and not a factory rod.

As usual, when I receive a new (for me) rod, I rinse the rod, wash the cork and wax the ferrules. This morning I lawn cast it with a 6wt Rio Intouch Stillwater Floater (49' head) and was thrilled by how smooth and sweet this casts. Just slowly wave it with little hauls and it felt like I had been casting with it all summer.

Now I can only assume it is probably the correct rod tube. It has the same Model number. It is labeled 14799 Chestnut which Fenwick opened in July 1967. And it also looks identical to the tube in the Aug 1968 7 Strand Catalogue (Tackle year 68-69). This rod is is one of the "Traveler" series. The sock was not original and stated so by the seller. But it is also possible that the tube was replaced at some point.

I am not sure if this was from the custom shop or if they just didn't have a label for this model. And just because I haven't seen it before, it does not mean this Feralite label was not used on other rods during this Letter series because I didn't have one previously.

Here is the label. I would appreciate it if others have one like it to let me know.

I do not know when this rod was made but it fits in between my similar rods of that era.
But once again I have a rod with an out of place Serial Number.

The F Series should be close to 65-66

But there is no point going down that rabbit hole.

I am more interested in the Feralite Logo on this rod. It is a one piece clear printed label that someone was detailed enough to meticulously apply resin over it so it would not peel.

and I would highly recommend this rod for anyone wanting a sensitive 8' 6wt.
Here it is next to my hand lettered B series FF80

Last edited by Fredderf on 15 Oct 2022, 21:33, edited 2 times in total.

Post 15 Oct 2022, 14:04 • #2 
Master Guide

Here’s an E-series FF75-4 from the Euclid Ave. factory in Long Beach. Hand-scribed labeling, and no more Pat. Pending. The accompanying literature boasts of the patent, which leads me to think it must have been freshly granted. This rod was presumably made in 1964-65, purchased from the original owner.

Post 15 Oct 2022, 21:39 • #3 
Guide

Beautiful rod. That has similar grip check and labels as my E-Series FF-85-3 which has a white printed label.
I have a D series FF60 with a Patent Number (not Patent Pending) and also a D Series FF70 without either (blank) like your E.

The FF80-4 I have has the black rubber grip check as seen on G-K.
This rod has a Patent Number on both the Eagle logo and also the Feralite logo. It’s the extra Eagle on the Feralite label that I can’t find elsewhere.
Edit: For clarity. This label does not have the Registered TM symbol. R with a circle around it. It is very similar to the Feralite label with instructions and also the word Feralite with a Patent Number above it. But different.
Thanks

New Topic Add Reply