It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:04

New Topic Add Reply
Found this rod today
Post 11 Oct 2022, 19:40 • #1 
Sport
I didnt have anything planned for the rest of the afternoon so I hit the thrift store. I have only found one other rod at this thrift store, so when I saw it I was surprised. I didnt own a Phillipson until now, but have seen plenty on Ebay. If memory serves me correct I want to say they can be a little on the pricey side and a good rod, but not sure. Anywho, I snapped some photos so you can see what Im talking about. It is Phillipson Deluxe DFS 70, 6 wt.. The glass and the wrapping/thread look to be in very good condition minus the missing tip eyelet. The reel seat can be cleaned up and there seems to be no damage or excessive wear. The cork however is toast and will have to be replaced along with the tip eyelet. All in all I think I hit berried treasure for 7 bucks. It will get restored and have a good home. :)

Canton

Re: Found this rod today
Post 11 Oct 2022, 19:47 • #2 
Master Guide
I think you did very well for $7. I thought I saw one of those go on the auction site the other day - I considered bidding for it, but thought it was strictly a spinning rod and I have a few non-Phillipson fiberglass rods already that don't see much use, but I do like a 7.5' Abercrombie & Fitch Yellowstone that I like very much as a 6wt. I hope others that are knowledgeable about the rod will provide some details. I do not know if that is a flyrod or a combo rod that you can use with a spinning reel, or strictly a spinning rod.

Post 12 Oct 2022, 11:32 • #3 
Sport
Actually in examining the rod, the rod is ID'd as #6 which I took for 6 wt.. It doesnt feel like a 6, more like a 4 or 5. The length is 7' 6".

Post 12 Oct 2022, 14:24 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
“Line #6” is their rating for a 6wt line. That’s certainly what I’d start with, but tastes, rod, and lines vary, and it’s never bad to try multiple lines on an old rod.

Post 12 Oct 2022, 14:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Interesting find,i am sure someone will know more.Looks like a spinning rod but Phillipson made excellent spinning rods,The guides look similar to fly rod guides they used on some models.Some one here will have the answer.For the price of a cocktail you did very well as the tip appears full length.

Post 12 Oct 2022, 15:52 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
It may have been "rebuilt" once before, or at least the "grip" modified. It is a Fly-Spin, also showing the optimum lure weight. Glass rods, especially to those accustomed to graphite, feel more flexible (they are) and thus the optimum line weight is easy to underestimate. It might cast a 4 or 5 quite well, but a 6 is the place to start. If you search the Philiipson catalogs pinned to the top of the Collecting section, you will probably find the rod and details on its original configuration. This might be it: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10370#g83-11

Post 12 Oct 2022, 18:03 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I've seen the same type rod several months ago on the bay. Had the same grip.

The rod appears to be a combo spin/fly rod. Writing says 6wt fly line and recommends 1/4 oz lures when used as a spinning rod.

Barry

Post 12 Oct 2022, 22:58 • #8 
Sport
It looks like the 68 catalog nails it. Thank you so much for the great documentation and commentary from all. I would have guessed older than 68.
Ive yet to start rod repair or refurbishment on any of my rods, but its coming soon. Where are the best places to find parts (without breaking the bank) such as the cork for a new grip on this rod, and other materials I will frequently use.

Post 13 Oct 2022, 02:09 • #9 
Administrator
The rod is in the 1967 Phillipson catalog also.

Head to your library and request a copy of Dale Clemens, Fiberglass Rod Making. Almost everything you need to know is in there.

For materials, you can start with Proof Flyfishing (mdraft is a member here). Mudhole, Angler's Workshop, and Jann's Netcraft are all possibilities too. For specific Phillipson parts, the best option is Rick's Rods (Rick owns the Phillipson company and trademarks). If the rod building hobby gets out of control, there are plenty more vendors.

Strip the cork into a paper bag and burn it. You don't want anything fungus or bugs infesting your new materials. Wash everything else with soap and water to remove the dirt and grunge. Then have a better look. The reelseat, buttcap, hosel, and double loop snake guides look like they might be reusable. Post some closeup photos and the forum will be happy to provide cheap opinions.

The toughest part will be refurbishing the ferrules. Try cleaning them with solvent first. Then post close up photos. No sandpaper, no steel wool, no abrasives. At least not yet.

Tom

Post 13 Oct 2022, 09:31 • #10 
Master Guide
CrustyRusty,
That’s a great lil project rod.
To quote the six million dollar man ..
We have the technology,, we can rebuild him!
Awesome score!! ;)
The Dlx spin/fly rods were Bill Phillipson’s answer to Wright and McGill’s Freline rods .
Both had the funky early spin grip.
The freline obviously meant to go with the W&M freline sidewinder reel .

Phillipson used that style long fore grip / short butt back on the Haywood Zephyr bamboo rods in the 50s..
Phillipson’s would have used Humphrey’s reels for sure .
I think it would be sacrilege to use a W&M reel on a Phillipson rod .
A Johnson sidewinder is allowed though :lol LOL :lol
I’m a kid from the 70s/80s so I’ll put a Daiwa on anything and everything..
I have the 7.6 version .. it’s labeled a 7wt but I fish it with a wf6 and it’s great ..

Mines in pretty good shape with the only issue being a smudged label and the white spiral wrap by the grip is toast ..
Fishes just great .
I love the double spiral guides.. So Classy
It’s Equally adapt at Fly Fishing or Spin Fishing..
Here is my latest victim caught a few weeks ago from the Savage River in Western Maryland.

Hope to see yours finding it’s way back to the water ..
Scotto

Post 13 Oct 2022, 22:32 • #11 
Sport
Thanks Tom and Scotto, I think I have that rod making book in storage. I know that a have a few, but Ill have to check. Im a little surprised that the ferrules require such delicate handling, but like learning. Scotto, your rod's reel seat and grip are identical to this one (except yours is in super condition and mine needs work :p), and that is a beautiful rod and photos. I have a Johnson 20 and 80.

Post 16 Oct 2022, 16:30 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I like that style,not a fan of the fly reel seat AND spinning seat on a couple wonderods i have.A spin/fly is a compromise and i guess intended for backpacking type scenarios where one rod makes sense.I fish with 3 rods usually.2 fly rods and a med heavy carbon spinning rod for worms senkos jigs etc .On any pond i can encounter panfish,bass carp bowfin catfish pike walleyes.I may only use one rod all day or all 3 at different spots.I bring the same spinning rod but choose the flyrods by what fish i am targeting and the flies i will be flinging.

New Topic Add Reply