It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:41

New Topic Add Reply
Rod ID and advice
Post 01 Oct 2022, 14:40 • #1 
New here, apologies if this post is in the wrong place.

I recently inherited a number of rods from my father and would appreciate an assessment of their quality/fishability.

Below is a photo of my glass quiver, the Orvis is a recent purchase, but others were my father’s and I don’t know much about them. Some look newer while others appear to have seen quite a few days (years) on the water. I’m still going through things and may make another post on some of the reels, but ultimately I’d like to sort which are worth cleaning up and matching with reels/lines vs which aren’t. Thoughts and advise are much appreciated.

Top to bottom:
- Orvis 4wt 7’6” Superfine Glass 4pc (exchanging for 3wt… that’s another story)
- Powell SweetP 3pc (no other identifying marks)
- Fenwick 6wt 8’6” FF856 2pc
- Sportsman Imperial 8wt 8’6” 2pc
- Eagle Claw 5wt CG865F2 8’6” 2pc

Re: Rod ID and advice
Post 01 Oct 2022, 16:21 • #2 
Master Guide
I’m almost certain that the Powell Sweet P is going to be identical to whatever corresponding model in the Cabela’s CGR series. The two marks certainly came from the same factory. Fenwick FF856 is a great distance taper with a fast mid but still has a lot of sensitivity in the tip section. That one there could cover a lot of water, and is a good bridge from graphite to glass action.
Looks like you’ve got the long Eagle Claw parabolic glass 5wt! I think a lot of people on here would be curious to know how that one casts.
I wouldn’t mind a distance shootout between the EC parabolic and the 856!
Good start.

Post 01 Oct 2022, 17:23 • #3 
Administrator
I moved this thread to the collecting section. Collecting is more about finding rod information, as opposed to photos to show rods off.

• I've never handled a Powell Sweet P - the rod is from about 6-7 years ago. Powell has already dropped glass, according to their website.
  • The Fenwick FF856 is a vintage classic. That style of hook keeper was used in the 80s. The rod appears to be well loved.
  • The Sportsman Imperial has some cosmetic touches that look like late production from Heddon (70s).
  • Finally the Eagle Claw glass rods have been around a long time. That particular rod looks like fairly new.

Tom

Post 01 Oct 2022, 18:43 • #4 
Guide
Hey so I recently acquired an Eagle Claw like the one you have. Seems to be a very stout rod that I’m going to load with a 7wt line and take it to my local river to fish below a dam. This rod is perfect for carp, big hybrid bass and any other monster’s that may want to bite. Definitely rig it up and use it.

I happened to receive this rod from Ottobahn as a thank you for bird dogging a few rods for him. Rumor has it he hit every Walmart in his tri-state area and purchased them all. They went on sale for a price too good to refuse and he went on a buying spree. He then turned into an Eagle Claw version of Johnny Appleseed, leaving them places for people to find, giving them away to kids and adults to get them into the sport and using them for charities to raffle off.

Like I said, would be a nice big river rod that may hold some giants. You can be confident that you could handle whatever the river may throw at you with that rod in hand. Tight lines!

New Topic Add Reply