It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:48

New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Sep 2022, 08:26 • #1 
I have several glass rods that came from a local widow. I think several are pretty desirable. I'm looking for reasonable appraisals on them.

The first up is a Scientific-Anglers System 4. Its 7'2" 2 pc. for a #4 line. Its in very good++ condition and comes in the original bag and tube. The wraps are in very good condition as well. The only negative on the rod is the the previous owner engraved his name in the reel seat. I think there are replacement reel seats that are available to swap out if that is an issue.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Post 30 Sep 2022, 08:47 • #2 
Master Guide
We’ll it’s an A serial number so that’s cool .
Has Og tube with previous owners name plus the engraved seat is a ding but who cares it’s a stem rod and will have an easy time finding a home .
Big question is what your ferrule gap looks like ?
No true appraisal can be given until we know your gap .
Need to see that gap as it’s way more important than just about anything on those Rods . Seats ,cork ,bad guides or wraps can be easily done .
Having to referrule a system rod is major surgery only to be completed by a certified rod doctor lol :lol

But system4 rods go for $100-$300 all day depending on condition .

You should fish it before you sell it .
Cheers Scotto

Post 30 Sep 2022, 09:23 • #3 
Guide
Yeah the spigot ferrule gap is important. They are great casting rods and fun to fish. In minty condition I've found them around $200-300 with original sock and tube and they sell fairly quick. There are some bargains to be had where you can get them for >$150.

I concur with Ottobahn, throw a line on it take it out before you sell it, you may decide to hold on to it for awhile.

Post 30 Sep 2022, 10:20 • #4 
The ferrule gap on the spigot is almost 3/16ths of an inch. I don't think it was used very much based on the condition.

[Admin note: Please, with photos hosted on Flickr or other services, please remove all the hot links back to the hosting service. Many of the services, such as Flickr, PostImage, and the like, only provide the image as a clickable link. When a forum member clicks on an image for a higher resolution version, they are instead taken to another website against their wishes. Please don't do that. If removing the hot links isn't possible, then please use the forum image hosting. Tom]

Post 30 Sep 2022, 21:59 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve certainly seen ferrule gaps worse than that. In fact, of my three System rods, one is noticeably less. I wouldn’t worry about the reel seat; prior owner personalization is something you run into with older rods and can add to their charm. Whether that might warrant some kind of water sealing some one else could probably advise on. But I wouldn’t replace the reel seat if you’re thinking of passing it on; that seems to take it out of the vintage realm and make it some kind of hybrid (I guess if you got a seat from another System 4 ….)

Although you’d be able to sell it for somewhere in the stated range and maybe make a few bucks, IMO that value reflects the rod’s utility as a fishing instrument, to you or a buyer. May as well be you. Definitely take it fishing before doing anything else about it.

Post 03 Oct 2022, 15:45 • #6 
Master Guide
The last two that sold for big money online went for like $400 but they were both truly mint rods with no issues …no names on tubes or engraved reel seats , with perfect cork,gleaming labels .. etc.

Cosmetic condition affects top dollar collector pricing. As best I can see, the SA globe label is just about gone . The 4 in system4 is completely gone.. so is the 4 for line rating ..

The cork also has some lite ridging and the previous owner handprint is starting to make it it presence known ..

Nice ferrule gap though, assuming it's been snugged down as it would be assembled for use.

It looks like a great fishing rod .. But it’s not a collector grade rod.

My final appraisal would be $200 at most.

It casts a 4or5 wt beautifully .
Would make a great addition to any small stream arsenal..
Cheers Scotto

Post 03 Oct 2022, 21:33 • #7 
Thanks for all of the great info.

New Topic Add Reply