It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:00

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Sep 2022, 18:12 • #1 
Guide
This will be the first of a several. They are from my personal collection and this is meant to be used for reference.
It is a small random sample of probably over a million rods made under the Fenwick label. And with the exception of one, they are all fly rods.
Edit: By random sampling, I mean all rods were procured primarily based on their Model Numbers as I wanted as many examples of freshwater rods as were available. Each from a unique individual from unique addresses across the continental USA. With a couple of exceptions. Some were chosen based solely on my personal esthetic of what I like and a couple based on my perceived opinion of their rarity or uniqueness.
In all instances, the rods are grouped from left to right by Alpha Numerical Serial Numbers.
This is done for the sake of consistency as I post similar series showing other identifiers that may have legal markings that might help to categorize by their dates.

As far as I know, there is no way to determine manufacturing dates by reels seats.

First two photos are the rods laid out in order.

Version: S.1
Range: Pre-Series - B 2803
Examples:3
Notes: My personal favorite color combination.

Version: S.2
Range: B 10648 - B 13753
Examples:2
Notes: My 2nd choice. Hints of copper colored anodizing.

Version: S.3
Range: C 9592
Examples:1
Notes: This might be a heavy duty version of S.5. It is on an FF90.
Only one I have so including as a separate version at the moment.
Has engraved logo.

Version: S.4
Range: D 18671 - E 4033
Notes: Similar to S.2 but more silver than copper tone in anodizing.

Version: S.5
Range: E 42326- K 26851
Examples:7
Notes: This is similar in color to the Heavy duty S.3. Has engraved logo.
By far the widest range I have.
2 of the 8-1/2' rods have the extended reel hood.
See bottom left in photo.

Version: S.6
Range: K 150422 - L 289562
Examples:4
Notes: While unique in its own sense, the FF 535 seems to belong in this group.
Also brown or black end caps.
Double lock nut on the 8-1/2' rod.

Version: S.7
Range: N 169597 -N 274089
Notes: All cork reel seats. Molded logo on end caps

Version: S.8
Range; R 144856S -S 409534
Examples; 3
Notes; Double locknut

Version; Later versions. No serial numbers.
Range; Not Applicable.
Notes; While the rods are similar to the WoodStreams, i am assuming they are later.
They have modern stripping guides.
The hook keepers are the same but different colors.
The logos and labeling are also different between the two.
I included for reference and because it has a Voyaguer logo with registered trademark.

Post 26 Sep 2022, 09:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Lots to use the "zoom" in that first pic ! Many will recognize the typical seats and their OEM suppliers because some were fitted to other brands (sometimes with a different color anodize), some were also available to the rod-builder, and some both. The only difference might be that a batch order of such and such a seat might include a special stamping of the logo/brand, as nicely shown in the 5th pic down. Others provided for the same brand may have been marked differently, in different positions, or not at all. I can't quite remember which-is-which styles relative to the suppliers, but Allan, Varmac, and Cal-Air would be a few. Way up top in your first pic, I think there is even a Rodon, whose seats came in about the time of the transition to graphite. Here's a discussion you might enjoy looking over to compare with what is fitted to your Fenwicks. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41716&hilit=precious+metal

Post 26 Sep 2022, 10:29 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing. Great summary of Fenwick examples. Never cared too much for uplocking seats on vintage rods but for some reason think they look fine on modern rods.

Post 26 Sep 2022, 15:44 • #4 
Sport
Wow a lifetime of rods there

Post 26 Sep 2022, 19:25 • #5 
Guide
I have to be honest, I have at least another 50 rods. Mostly vintage bait casters matched to period reels and lines. But that is a different story for a different forum.(Edit: I don’t actually belong to a different fishing forum. I do belong to a sailing canoe forum. But that sport doesn’t mesh with fly fishing all that well. Lol)
Those I collect primarily for the quality and technological advances of the manufacturers and machinists of the time. Not to slight fiberglass in anyway. Pre WW2 True Temper Dynamics with the patented tapered steel extrusion and porcelain enamel coating is still considered one of the most sensitive bait casting rods. In fact, all of their war production became antennas for jeeps and tanks. Lionel Trains made the bomb sight for the B-17s and the technology used on the PT boats paved the way to meet the demand for low cost fly rods that compared to bamboo at a fraction of the cost.

Edit: And most importantly, I like to fish. Being a lifelong custom fabricator, I never baby my tools and that includes rods. Tools are meant to be used to their full potential.

Not that I am superstitious but I am hesitant to say that I never broke a fishing rod. Reels, yes. Mostly due to bad manufacturing designs. With one exception. I lent a brand new spin casting rod I bought for my three year old to a buddy for his son to use. He immediately slammed it in the car window and busted the tip. Bet if it was fiberglass it would not of broken. Either way, Dick’s replaced it for free as a manufacturer defect. Still got to respect Zebco’s warranty after all these years. Not many manufacturers stand by their product.

Post 30 Sep 2022, 18:18 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
terrific collection and thank you for posting all those.. I like the heavy-duty S.3 ones, had not seen those before.

Post 30 Sep 2022, 23:36 • #7 
Master Guide
Fredderf ,
Cool post !!
What a great collection of fine fenwicks .
But you forgot the Yellow Fenwick FL Kit-Rod
Reel seats ….

the FL sporting the wells grip has the same double lock ring seat as my Factory Yellow Jacket just in gold and black instead of Fenwick brown .
The cigar FL rod has a similar single lock ring style to the FF60 seat just 2 tone in black and silver .
Like whirlpool said several reel seat suppliers did the Fenwick seats over the years ..

So technically they aren’t really Fenwick reel seats at all .. like not in the way Phillipson seats that were actually manufactured in-house
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74093&hilit=Phillipson+101

Fenwick made it look like they did their own seats with some getting the stamping or the Fenwick Eagle butt cap ( which were made by someone else I’m sure as well)

Fred don’t be shy post those Baitcasters and Spin rods in the
“Another Spin On Glass” subforum

There’s a whole bunch of us on here who love Glass Spin and Baitcast rods too.

Great stuff ..
Keep up the good work
Scotto

New Topic Add Reply