It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Aug 2022, 20:32 • #1 
Guide
Anyone else have any to upload? As I accumulate Fenwicks, I enjoy organizing them in different categories and also identifying trends over time, whether it is changes in labeled weight or recommended line weights.
I note variations in materials, both glass, cork and wraps, but also fit and finish. All which provides for me a better grasp and understanding of the actual Fenwick history and enhances, not denigrates the great Vic Johnson book. While I believe that when published, it was the most comprehensive and accurate documentation, time and new discoveries have added additional layers of nuance to the story. I will attempt to publish more photos and information as I continue to acquire more rods that document the details that is vaguely captured in the statement that Fenwick continued to experiment and sometimes created Model Numbers and sometimes Serial Numbered rods that never got identified or referenced in any published catalogs. My few months doing this has shown to me that is not really that difficult, actually the odds are coming in around 1 in 4, that one will purchase/acquire a rod with properties that put it outside data parameters referenced in the Wiki and in Vic’s book.

Will need to try again tomorrow. Doing this with IPhone and thought when I hit the upload all button it worked. Guess I still have a few tricks to learn. Was attempting to display an early FF75, K series FF756, N Series 756-4, S Series Woodstream FF756-4 and a Classic Glass FF756-4 no serial, no Voyaguer label. Not Japanese markings.

Last edited by Fredderf on 11 Sep 2022, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Aug 2022, 20:39 • #2 
Guide
Looking forward to seeing how you progress, and of course the photos when available.

Post 30 Aug 2022, 20:19 • #3 
Guide
Unfortunately I was not able to get an opportunity to attempt to upload the photos today. After a well deserved 4 week vacation, I am still dealing with approximately 4 thousand emails. But I also noticed an interesting pattern as I looked at my 28 Fenwicks laid out on a bed. I originally thought that the reel seats were a random combination of whatever hardware was available. I am now seeing a definitive pattern relative to the Alpha Numerical Serial numbering system. With a couple exceptions. My first observation was that it wasn’t until the Fenwick acquisition by Woodstream that someone figured out that a second locking ring but on a reel seat was a good idea. In fact, I do not think I have yet to see a modern rod that does not have dual locking ring nuts. But that is only my observation, and I am sure there are many conflicting instances. Maybe I should clarify and say that it seems that every brand claiming to be higher end have dual locking rings.

New Topic Add Reply