It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:42

New Topic Add Reply
Mystery Rod ? ?
Post 29 Aug 2022, 16:33 • #1 
Gentlemen,
I am hoping for help finding the the maker of this nice little rod. All I know is that the antique shop in Maine where I bought it had a handwritten tag that says"L. L. Bean. Rod is 6 feet and I judge it a 4 weight from test casting. Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Gary,

[I moved this thread to Collecting, where it fits better. Tom]

Re: Mystery Rod ? ?
Post 29 Aug 2022, 17:17 • #2 
Administrator
Looks like a St. Croix build. The wraps/grip/reelseat are rather distinctive. You can see some of the family resemblance in the photo of four St. Croix rods below. The top rod is a very newish 8 foot, 7090XL. The second rod from the top is a 6'8" 7090XXL. The rod below it is a 7 foot 7090XL. The bottom rod is beat up a St. Croix Genuine "Double Power" Fiberglass Rod with very little left of the markings.

Tom

Post 29 Aug 2022, 18:30 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Very likely, just as jgestar said. It may have been sold by LL Bean, but at that time, most of their own products were labled as such, even if outsourced. Doesn't matter much as it wouldn't have significant dollar value, but does have good fishing value for a rod of that type. It uses a metal ferrule, and thus probably from the late '60s or early '70s. That's why it may be a 5 or 6 weight, and definitely worth trying with one or the other. Four-weights were uncommon at the time. That doesn't mean it won't work with a four weight. But the flex of a 'glass rod makes its optimum line weight capability easy to underestimate, especially if used to graphite. Nice find. Give it a workout and let us know what line seems best. Don't force or rush the rod and it may come alive with a five or six weight, even if it still works well with a 4.

A last thought is that it could be a rebuild or kit rod from somebody like Herters--using a St. Croix made blank. Again, no matter. You can just use and enjoy the rod for what it is as you try it.

Post 30 Aug 2022, 17:19 • #4 
Thanks for your help. The 7090XL is a near perfect match.

Gary

New Topic Add Reply