It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:43

New Topic Add Reply
Pre-Serial number FF75
Post 16 Aug 2022, 21:36 • #1 
Guide
Haven’t received it yet so making no claims. But labeled a DT5F. Exciting night and almost had buyers remorse until the Bay reminded that I could use my AMEX points so it technically cost me nothing . I am also curious if other Forum members were going for this. Haven’t used a credit card in over 10 years since my divorce and these points accumulated rather quickly.

Been focusing on early B and older series. Mainly because I like the way they look in bright sunlight. Weird, maybe. I also like Wonderods and WonderGlass because of their color and also my St Croix Spin Casting rod for its similar color and those gold plated eyes. Don’t ask me why. Lol. But fiberglass casts so nice regardless of what reel, line or fish attractor is tied on the end. Like so many others have posted on the forum, if I overpaid every once in awhile it even outs in the overall experience and pleasure I get in this hobby. Price is not going to stop me from taking this first to the lawn and then to the pond. FYI.

Due to the current drought we are experiencing in the Northeast, most streams and rivers are rock gardens and nary a fish in site except a few dead ones on the bottom of the deeper but still too warm pools.

Comes with a teal? blue sock with tag still attached. Cardboard tube is trashed but I am not a serious collector in the collecting sense. I am a serious fisherman who enjoys casting and fishing with unique pieces of history. And I have been told several times that it is not the rod that casts the line but the person that is holding it. If you are able to tweak your leader, change lines and adjust your stroke for the situation, you should be able to cast anything. Really enjoying the slow casting pace of fiberglass as I age and learning the history that goes with it. I will post pictures when it arrives.

There is anecdotal evidence that this rod might be one from “ MEL KRIEGERS FLY FISHING ESTATE. THIS ROD DATES FROM SAME. THIS ROD WAS SENT DOWN FROM WASHINGTON BY JIMMY GREEN TO THE TOURNAMENT FLY CASTERS HERE AT THE GOLDEN GATE ANGLING AND CASTING CLUB IN SAN FRANCISCO.” But who knows. Looks the same. But I am sure if they made several for the club to test, It is probably not the same one. The quote is from a Worthpoint listing that I am too cheap to pay for. Lol. Rather buy fly rods. Someday everyone who was around at that time will have passed.

That’s why I think it is time to update the Fenwick Wiki. The books and even the catalogs have been shown to be deficient. Even the folks on the Fenwick spin casting forums say the same thing. Is there a standard process to submit documentation and get the Fenwick Wiki updated? In a couple of months of collecting, I have accumulated at least 8 of my 25 rods that either have different recommended line weights, actual rods weights labeled differently than catalogs/wiki and model numbers that are not in the Wiki. Plus some Voyagers like the 85-5 that seems to be missing but there are several examples on the forum. I would be willing to volunteer to be part of this.

So much history gets lost because enthusiasm declines at a predictable rate on any given project. Ask me how I know as a professional Project Manager for the later half of my career.

Post 17 Aug 2022, 16:01 • #2 
Master Guide
Fred, congrats! She is pretty, rare and in remarkable condition. The only pre-serial number Feralite I have is a FF80. Looks identical to yours with Teal bag too...

Sandman

New Topic Add Reply