It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Aug 2022, 13:24 • #1 
Guide
Hey All, I picked this 6wt 8' 6" 4 piece rod recently. The seller said it was "Winston S Glass" from "10-15 years" ago. I was looking for the white spigot ferrules to confirm Winston, but they're brown. After a little bit of research from previous threads on the forum, there seems to be some notes about brown ferrules on Winston Glass at some point in time. It casts like a Morgan or Winston rod to me, a little heavy in a good way, smooth and powerful when needed. The hardware looks like what I've seen on factory built Winston "Trout" Rods on the Spinoza site.

I've set it up with a 70s "bump-era" perfect and an SA Steelhead line and it's certainly a nice combo so far, though I'm curious if it might like a Wulff TT6 a little more. The overall build is very simple, but quality. I wish the handle shape was a little bit different, but it's a minor quibble. So what say the community here: Is this a Winston "Trout" Rod kit from the Morgan / Montana era? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance. Al in Maine

Post 16 Aug 2022, 17:09 • #2 
Master Guide
This factory Montana Winston rod is a four section four weight and has brown ferrules which are less commonly found than the more traditional earlier white ones.

Your rod could be a Winston blank. Had a three section Winston Traveler with white ferrules years ago which was also nice. Believe blanks with brown ferrules were also offered at some point.

Post 16 Aug 2022, 18:21 • #3 
Guide
Thanks for the pics and thoughts Grouse. The second Winston you show above also has the similar reel seat and hardware as mine. Seems like it's a possibility.

Post 17 Aug 2022, 07:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That does look like Fisher-manufactured, phenolic resin 'glass, but hard to tell from the pic if it is in Fisher brown or the more red-rich Winston proprietary color. These were E-glass. It looks to have the typical Winston supplied kit components, which also could be purchased by any hobby builder using a Fisher blank. Brown spigots were definitely used on some Fisher-made blanks, but that doesn't mean they were used on the ones supplied to Winston. And realize that the spigot color isn't really definitive because anyone can cut and ferrule any blank and use spigot stock of any color.

So, basically, that's no help if the rod was said to be S-glass from 10 or 15 years ago. I doubt it, but someone who knows the "Retro" series may know. I don't recall that Winston ever used S-glass.

Post 17 Aug 2022, 08:07 • #5 
Piscator
Winston sold glass rods special order until 2000 - Sage did the same until 1990.
2001 is kind of a magic date there, since Joe Fisher closed Mound House and retired that year.
Fisher may have never catalogued S-glass rods (or identified them as such), but there's nothing keeping him from making them, especially since the process duplicates graphite - you simply use the different fibers.
It would be a question to ask Randy Johnson, former Mound House employee.
While Grouse's photo is e-glass, the OP's looks very much like Fisher graphite finish, and is likely S-glass.

Post 17 Aug 2022, 09:29 • #6 
Guide
Thank you Whrlpool and Bulldog for weighing in. I should've compared this rod with a Fisher-made Cortland Leon Chandler rod (pics below) I own. They are very similar (pretty much the same), especially the ferrules.

Last edited by SalterLee on 17 Aug 2022, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Aug 2022, 09:31 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, and two excellent suggestions. Look at the Fisher catalog and Winston catalog in rod papers. I am still too sleepy to locate and link them. Retroglass is one of the few who could say for sure. I figure he might comment if the pics are sufficiently clear to allow an i.d, but more info might be needed. It could even be something from his N.O.S that has passed through several hands since he sold it. Any reason the seller couldn't be more specific?

New Topic Add Reply