It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:07

New Topic Add Reply
Wright McGill fly rod
Post 26 Dec 2008, 04:57 • #1 
Wright McGill : # 6585 : 8 foot 6 inch : good shape

Second is called "Black beauty" and is 7 feet 3 inch : good shape and not sure if Berkeley or South Bend and that area hard to read? Think maybe be Berkeley.

Any thoughts? price $20.00 each.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 26 Dec 2008, 05:55 • #2 
Emeritus
HMD, I collect Wright and Mcgill rods and I'm not familiar with that model number. Could you provide some pictures or describe a little more? You've got me really interested.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 26 Dec 2008, 09:25 • #3 
Are you sure that this rod isn't bamboo? If so , it's an Heddon.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 26 Dec 2008, 09:55 • #4 
Administrator
Heddon also made some Black Beauty Pal glass rods in the 50s. Unfortunately, the shortest Black Beauty they made was 7'6". Are both rod sections the same length?

As cofisher said, posting some photos would make identifying the rods and estimating a value much easier.

Tom

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 26 Dec 2008, 10:26 • #5 
OK : tried to post earlier but new at getting back into fly fishing as well as computer photo's. The answer is black beauty look to be equal lenghts to me. 2 piece. I will post photo's when wife back and takes photo's and put on system for me to post. The words black beauty are several inches up from the cork handle. Not sure this helps.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 26 Dec 2008, 17:24 • #6 
Emeritus
I did some more searching in the catalogs and found that Model 6585 should be a Granger 8 1/2' possibly for a 7 wt. line. They were built approximately between 1961 & 1969 and sold for $16.95.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 28 Dec 2008, 08:29 • #7 
cofisher : thank you. I have tried to look up Wright McGill Granger fiberglass fly rod and then Granger fly rod on net. Seem not to find much at all. any suggestion on fly reel? when wife back will post pictures. As I recall prior to post high school ( and still dream of fly fishing with Janet by the way ) / uncle sam my shakespeare wonderrod and automatic reel which green cost me about $19.95 so probably Granger middle of road rod? As this as going to give my newly acquired shakespear 8'6" or Granger one to my son who is just learning to fly fish.

Thank you for the information

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 28 Dec 2008, 08:54 • #8 
Emeritus
HMD: You don't find many Grangers out there. Yours is made for a DT6 line. They were upper middle of the road. Most W&M rods were less expensive and only a couple were more expensive. I've never seen one in person, so I would appreciate some photos when you can post them. My guess for a reel would be a Pflueger Medalist. Most WM rods are a bit tip heavy and need a more weighty reel to balance properly. I have no doubt it will be a nice casting rod.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 28 Dec 2008, 15:19 • #9 
Master Guide
I have an 8 foot Granger fiberglass rod. It's model number 6580. It is marked for a DT6 line. I didn't realize that the 6580 was a model number. I thought that it was probably a serial number.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 29 Dec 2008, 03:29 • #10 
Could # 65 refer to year made and # 80 serial number for rod reflecting total made? Arctic Grayling how do you like this rod? Size fish you catch?

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 29 Dec 2008, 04:26 • #11 
Emeritus
No, 65 isn't the year it was made. The Granger was made for several years between 61 and 69. The last two digits refer to the length of the rod I believe. The first two is anyone's guess.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 29 Dec 2008, 11:36 • #12 
Rods now in my possession where can look over them carefully. Photo's next day or two then must learn to post back here. Challenge for a ole school guy. Noted below is what written on rods. The WM is interesting. Cork is pristen and nice feel.

1. Wright McGill
"Grangers" followed with circled R - 8 1/2 FT rod is amber yellow brown with total 9 eyelets including tip. Hook metal triangle area
at base of rod which gold colored. Rod almost to pretty to use.
No. 6585
trade mark

2. South Bend Black Beauty : Model number 3665 : Line wt 5 -- 6 noted : 6 eyelets : looks like tip is ceramic or some form of hard plastic.
7 '3" FLY noted

3. Third rod is mystery : 8 feet measured : bronze metal seat with seat reel to tighten, rod is brown :7 eyelets including tip :
wraps are brown with yellow underpinning color. Where rod joins handle is plastic so assume this means economy model but
rod very flexible and feels good to my hand. Writting gone to identify.

Just now enjoying touching these things. Brings back memories of my youth.

Pictures to follow.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 06 Jan 2009, 08:22 • #13 
HMD : 3 fly rods and thoughts

Link below are the fly rods photo's I mentioned last week. Any thoughts? Any problem with link let me know. WM Granger interesting.

http://www.kodakgallery.c ... 1&y=4436ed&localeid=en_US

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 06 Jan 2009, 15:22 • #14 
Emeritus
HMD, that Granger is a beauty and looks to be in fine condition. Are you planning on fishing these rods? I will for sure have to keep my eyes open for a Granger to add to my collection. I would be interested in hearing your assessment of how it casts.

Wright McGill fly rod
Post 07 Jan 2009, 06:32 • #15 
Will try to fish with my Shakespeare Wonderglas where in 60s could do double and triple back casts and boom fly or streamer way out there. One got is 8'6" but not as heavy as one I liked which I bought in mid 60s and was white and heavier. I am intrigued about black beauty south bend and someone mentioned may be both fly/spin type rod. Unknown rod going to son to learn how to fly fish. WM Granger will most likely not use as find it almost to nice to use. Thanks for the help and will try to get better photos of unknown rod and black beauty if you like. My email is ***email address removed***>.

Post 19 Aug 2015, 22:06 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Bumping an old thread.. my question is - when they did they stop using mylar as an underwrap ?

I have a new to me Granger glass rod with gold mylar underwraps labeled a 6580 as well. It has the Eagle Claw goldish tin thingy on the grip and the eagle with the A under it. It is a 8ft rod and listed on rod as DT6F fly line model.

This rod is as described above... tip is very lively but the butt section is kinda dead just on the wiggle. I am sure with a DT6 it will perform positively.

Will get some pics tomorrow.

Post 21 Aug 2015, 12:07 • #17 
Emeritus
Hey Brian I'm looking forward to the pictures. From what I have been able to gather from the catalogs, W&M didn't make the 6580 for too long. That doesn't tell you how long they used mylar, but without a pretty exhaustive search it would be difficult to say. My guess is just for a year or two off the top of my head. If I find out for sure I'll let you know.

Post 27 Mar 2021, 01:13 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Pictures, a little late - but here they are :

Closer ups :

Tip down to about 40 percent is lively and then it just feels dead the rest of the way down ;)
The sock and tube are here somewhere too.
Might take another 6 years to reply tho. :lol
It is a little dry in some spots.

New Topic Add Reply