It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:46

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Aug 2022, 02:18 • #1 
Sport
Hi all, Ive been Collecting fly rods for about a year now and (dont laugh) Ive managed to reach
just under 50 rods in total. Some I have obtained from vintage and antique stores. And some I
have purchased from Ebay. Most of my rods are fiberglass, however I think I have 5 or 6 graphite
rods mixed in. Most of my rods I would consider nice rods. I do have a few that need some minor
repairs; an eye missing, thread binding is starting to come loose or the cork hand grip is in need
of patching. Which I should ask; is a darkened cork handle considered a valued petina, or would
it be acceptable to lightly clean and somewhat lighten any coloration? Sometime hopefully in the
near future I hope to obtain a bench rig to do any repairs and associated vintage materials as I
come across them.
All of my rods fall between 7'-0" to 9'-6", and 2 piece [accept for a few]. The makers vary from a
few; HI's, Wright & Mcgill, South Bend, True Value, Sears, and a couple with no name. The bulk
of my rods are; Wonderods [in many variations, I prob. have 7 or 8], St. Croix's, Sila Flex,
Browning, Garcia, Fenwick, and I know Im forgetting some. Most of them are in very good and
some mint condition. Anyhow, I never really had a mentor to guide me in what to buy. I like quality
vintage everything, and was pretty picky in my choices. All that being said, I dont have much of a
guide to go buy in what stays or goes other than probably wanting to hang on to the St. Croix's,
Fenwick's, and Browning's because I am aware of their quality and reliability. After that all Ive got
is I like the way it looks or feels.
I would also like to note that, in all my rods in transit I only had 1 casualty. I was in Atlanta going to
school for my company and found a big vintage store. I found 1 rod. All of the name and model had
been worn off accept for the Garcia. it was a very light, brown, 8'-6" rod. I new it was at least a Garcia
and got it for $20 and spent $25 to ship it home to Spokane [in heavy cardboard tube]. It arrived and
very sadly the tube was flattened. When I opened it the cork was in crumbles, the glass was smashed
into splayed fibers, and the aluminum reel seat was flattened as well! I still have the poor thing in the
corner. This was shipped USPS by the way. I later went online, and because of several features
[namely the color and type of ferrule like an aluminum post on one end] I was able to identify it as a
Garcia Colonon 5 star, I wept!
So If yall have advice on what to look for when Im separating the keepers please lay it on me.
If you want I could even take some photos.

Thanks,

Canton

Post 04 Aug 2022, 11:08 • #2 
What to keep is pretty complex because it’s going to vary so much person to person. If it’s value alone then under 8’ and under 8wt often end up more valuable. That’s a major oversimplification, so there are obviously exceptions.

I buy entire collections (10+ rods) for my rod business and the ones I tend to keep for myself are 7-7 1/2’ and 6wt or below. Those are my favorite rods to fish personally, and I always keep the more used and therefore less desirable/valuable. I don’t keep rods to collect, typically just to fish so I don’t need pristine examples of the model.

To make a long story longer, I think you need to set some criteria for yourself. Are you collecting to make money or just to enjoy collecting your favorites? Are you fishing them or looking for pristine examples? Then hone in on the specifics of attributes. Once that is established it will be easier to cull the collection.

I personally like a clean grip and rod in general. I find it easier to sell cleaned up rods.

Post 04 Aug 2022, 11:21 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
You have nickels and dimes in terms of value as these are run of the mill 'glass fly rods. That is a good thing, as rods of this type are very useful.

Seriously, even if their subsequent value could be predicted, the possible gain or loss is not very significant. Keep the ones you like and sell the ones you don't like. If you can't discern their "value" relative to one another, that makes the choice even easier, and casual selection of the keepers will work out fine.

A very casual ranking--it could be argued differently but, again, not to a significant abstract "value"-- would be Fenwick, Garcia, St. Croix, and Browning as most likely "worth it" to hold on to. I offer that only in case you want a brand-based collection. You might want variety in your collection and thus sell one of each brand you have and keep the others.

Post 04 Aug 2022, 12:16 • #4 
Piscator
We don't know where you live (easily remedied in your profile), don't know what you fish.
I've never kept a glass rod over 8' except an inshore S-glass I ordered from Japan.
But buying glass rods, I primarily targeted mid-length, mid-line-weight, for hill country limestone creeks.
Taking respectful exception with Steve, I was very happy to sell a Fenwick, and have a South Bend that will never be for sale.

Post 04 Aug 2022, 13:08 • #5 
Sport
Here is my suggestion I would start by cataloging the rods on an Excel spread sheet Brand, model, line weight, length, date of purchase, purchase price, where purchased, condition of rod, notes on how it casts and do you like the rod + any thing else you my feel you need to help evaluate the rod. To help find the value of a rod you can go to Ebay completed sale for just about any brand of rod new and old. I lawn cast a new to me rod with the size line the rod calls out for, I will go up and down one size of line to see what the rod likes the best. I see you called Spokane your home you have a wide variety of fish in that area to go for but you did not tell us what your target fish is. Yes I clean my rods I use a Mr. Clean sponge on the cork, rubbing alcohol on the rod, wipe it down and dry it with clean cloth then I wipe it down with Cortland line dressing and polish with clean cloth, I am sure not everyone will approve of my cleaning process but it works for me. Best way to know what to keep is just go fish it.

Post 04 Aug 2022, 15:27 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Sad, but right now it will cost you thirty to thirty-five dollars to ship a $50 rod.

Might make sense to sell them three to five at a time. Whatever will fit in a shipping tube.

Folks like to try different rods. Put together a variety of three to five rods you are done with and sell them as a bundle. Helps keep the shipping cost per rod reasonable.

I did that a couple times last year and that was before the postal increases.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 04:42 • #7 
Sport
Thanks for all the advice. I dont believe in wall hanger's, but I do have a stable of fly rods for use. The value to me is not how much I could sell them for but how much I do and will enjoy using them. Im in no rush to purge now, the mood left me. [lol] But feel good that you helped me clarify the matter. And, I did update my profile.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 11:24 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
My own rod collection evolved into a search for the best rods from each vintage manufacturer in trout lengths and weights. As Bulldog mentions, generally a glass rod over 8' in length is (for me) a specialty requirement and a rarity. Shorter rods in lighter weights (especially multi-piece) are generally the most sought after. "Light" rods in vintage days were generally 6 wts with a very few 5 wts in the mix. In terms of "investment" or resale value, the right rods in perfect shape with the original sock and tube are what to look for. Values drop off quickly for any damaged wraps, cork damage, missing accessories, etc. Longer, heavier rods (which were the norm in earlier days) generate little interest for fly fishermen looking for vintage rods and their lower prices reflect this. Production rods from the well known manufacturers, are quite fishable but hand-builds by famous builders using premium blanks and components draw a higher price.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 16:26 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The biggest thing that earlier. less expensive fly rods suffered from was a lack of guides. I’m confident that not all, but many can be significantly improved upon by stripping them and restoring them with more guides. You may have to sand out line shadow and add back some finish but it can be a rewarding effort ,though cost recovery is unlikely. I recently saw a Mark McKellip restoration of an old Wanigas that was stunning and cast a 5wt like a dream. I’ve seen more guides turn hohum Silaflexes, Cortlands, JETS, and others into top notch fishing machines. I haven’t seen it done so much with rods of lesser value but I do know many did not have enough guides to begin with and would expect them to at least perform better than original. If some of enjoyment of these rods is restoration, go for it. Even if it’s too many rods for your personal use, there are lots of folks out there that would really appreciate such rods as a gift to get them started in fly fishing, especially kids. For that purpose, it doesn’t matter what line weight it is. Most are great for panfish or bass.

Post 08 Aug 2022, 21:54 • #10 
Master Guide
With the cost of shipping what it is, you may want to consider keeping a few and then just donating the rest to a local Boy Scout troop.

Financially, a tax deduction for the donation to BSA may be better than “donating” to USPS, FedEx, and UPS anyway.

New Topic Add Reply