It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:41

New Topic Add Reply
Reading the old posts.
Post 02 Aug 2022, 20:32 • #1 
Guide
On vacation in the White Mts. NH. On the Sqawm Lake side for a week and then on the North Conway side for the weekend. Then off for an additional 3 weeks. Started reading the forum on collecting rods from the beginning. Plus a few side tracks when I go into vintage stores and see fly reels that I know nothing about. Only reading the Fenwick posts and any thing else that seems interesting. But quite enlightening to see how the posting guidelines have changed significantly. Probably for the better IMHO. And I really appreciate the hard earned knowledge that is readily available to us late comers to fiberglass. Heck, I am a late comer to fly fishing. Started a year ago at 63. But not a newcomer to fishing. Been doing it for around 58 years if my math is correct. Been out several times but the trout are no where to be found. Water is too warm. But hope to find some brookies in the Mountains this weekend. Caught 8 near Mt Washington at the end of June. Also plan to fish the pool at the dam below Jackson on the Ellis. Just because it is so surreal with the dam acting like an infinity pool. The fish there are way to smart to be caught by mere mortal fly fishermen. But had lots of time to lawn cast at the White Mountain country club that I am staying at. Casting all types of Martin tuna cans with the lines that came on them. I really can’t tell the difference between some of these level lines and the Modern DTs and WFs. My favorite lines of all time are the old SA Head Start wt and a half over WFs. Great for tossing anything from 20-45 ft. Bought a bunch on clearance, in 4 and 6wt. They didn’t make a 5wt as far as I can tell.
Been having fun with the ultralights in the 5-6’ range and also my 4 and 5 piece Voyageurs.
But back on topic, I think that if you are new to the forum, it would be a great honor to make an attempt to invest the time to read the history and experience the development of this excellent forum for what was once a niche but as modern fly fishermen recognize the wonderful properties of glass compared to the newest HMG is continuing to be an amazing resource capturing both history and personal experience in this sport.

Post 03 Aug 2022, 10:37 • #2 
Guide
Could not agree more regarding the wealth of knowledge and varying perspectives shared here. For us late bloomers to fly fishing this forum is a doorway. If you have a question you can search and find the answer...if not you can ask and someone will respond. There is great joy in the search, but be forewarned it can also lead to a slippery slope of acquisition as many can attest. Enjoy the journey!
Carl

Post 03 Aug 2022, 10:59 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
...it would be a great honor to make an attempt to invest the time to read the history and experience the development of this excellent forum for what was once a niche but as modern fly fishermen recognize the wonderful properties of glass compared to the newest HMG is continuing to be an amazing resource capturing both history and personal experience in this sport.

Well put, and I second your recommendation. I have learned a lot from going through the history, and gained much appreciation for the knowledge of FFR members. The board is truly special.

Post 03 Aug 2022, 12:35 • #4 
Master Guide
Fredderf---Welcome to a great forum----the knowledge here is second to none IMHO. Concerning the differences between level, dt, and wf lines there are difference---- with different cast roll--side, overhead,etc.These different line were for different purposes. Level line I believe were the first lines made---not used much anymore --works well at short distances and heavier flies. The dt line work very well with old rod (my opinion) ---roll cast very well, and allows fly to land softer, and medium distances. The wf lines work better on new rods and longer cast. The above are my opinions and others may feel differently----in the end you will have to decide what cast the best for you and your rod. Have fun and enjoy.
midmofly

Post 03 Aug 2022, 15:43 • #5 
Guide
It's amazing the amount of general fly fishing information is on this forum, even outside the context of glass rods. It's a great resource for sure.

Post 03 Aug 2022, 17:12 • #6 
Guide
To be clear. I am quite familiar with the modern DTs made for the new “retro glass” and lots of experience with the WFs in both floating, sink tip and sinking intermediate on my medium and fast action rods. What I was really amazed about was the old level lines. I usually immediately take them off the used reel when I acquire it and put on a short taper DT floating line. But didn’t have time and just tossed three reels in the car. Still in the boxes they shipped in. On my shorter Fenwick rods, after testing them with 3,4,5 and 6wt in both DT and WF, I figured I would try the old lines to see what it was like. Some even had those metal eyelets that stab you with the barb sticking out the side. Added some 7’ tapered leaders with a bit of yarn on the end. And dressed them all with some SA dressing and went back in the yard. In the 30-35’ range, for me, they lawn cast as well as the others. They even formed nice tight loops if I added a haul or two and I was also able to get them to hover and drop gently as if I was trying to present a dry. Not saying that I am going to use these to fish and I am not even sure if these will even float. But like so much of the misinformation these days, I think these might have gotten a bad rap or at least the early developers of synthetic tapered fly lines wanted everyone to think the newer stuff was better. And I am sure a few of the old experts said so because they we just beginning to get sponsors and free equipment to promote. Past 40’, not so great, but I think they would probably roll cast as well as any DT because there is no running line to hinge and mess up the loop. But again, this I off the original topic of recognizing the early and current devotees of the forum.

Post 03 Aug 2022, 18:39 • #7 
Sport
I am another who fished as a kid and young adult and then took up fly fishing around 60. I will also attest to the vast knowledge contained herein, and I am glad I stumbled upon it when I did.

I think the history of fishing, glass, and vintage reels is every bit a part of the enjoyment of this sport as is the actual fishing. Fredderf, your recommendation to read the old posts is an excellent one. Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

Post 05 Aug 2022, 10:16 • #8 
Guide
There is one other thing that is important in this wealth of knowledge and said sharing of it and varying perspectives. We, The Fiberglass Flyrodders, are a global community with members from around the world with diverse backgrounds finding joy in our shared passion. I like that a lot!
Carl

New Topic Add Reply