It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Aug 2022, 14:19 • #1 
Guide
Never saw this before. Yellow fiberglass rod with heavy wooden case with cloth cover. Anyone know what model it is and what is it worth? Has ferrule plug.

Walt

Post 02 Aug 2022, 17:24 • #2 
Administrator
Walt, You probably have a presentation rod. Look in the Shakespeare Catalog thread. Probably in a 50s era catalog you will find it.

These rods were given to "worthy" recipients as retirement presents, or in other situations that called for an expensive gift. The rods were often as fancy as the company would make. They were stored in extravagant cases instead of aluminum tubes. I wouldn't be surprised if the rod guides were gold plated too.

Please use the forum photo uploader for pictures. DO NOT use PostImages. PostImages dumps a lot of garbage links and spam with the images. It is an especially bad security risk for members using mobile devices.

Tom

Post 12 Aug 2022, 11:53 • #3 
Guide
I’m going to assume that Walt was asking about the Shakespeare Howald 1295 Presentation WonderWand that ended yesterday morning on ebay. Original mahogany case with rarely seen cloth cover and ferrule plug and full length. I was the lucky high bidder, and I say lucky because I thought it would sell for more. It needs some restoration but nothing out of the ordinary or too complicated. Best part is that it is serial number 1 and was made for an important American industrialist. Can’t wait to start working on it!

Post 12 Aug 2022, 12:07 • #4 
Sport
Don't forget the before and after pics...

Post 12 Aug 2022, 12:30 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Pictures!!

Post 12 Aug 2022, 23:54 • #6 
Administrator
The Purist wrote:
I was the lucky high bidder...

First things first, I'm hoping for a successful postal delivery. I have purchased from that seller before and my rod arrived just fine.

When you get the 1295, please post pictures. We have had very few discussions of 50s era presentation rods. I know SilaFlex listed them in their catalogs, but I've never seen one for sale. There is an old discussion about a South Bend presentation rod, but the photos have disappeared into the mists of the Internet.

If it helps your rebuild, there was a previous Shakespeare 1295 thread, with a couple of photos of a nice condition rod.

Tom

Post 13 Aug 2022, 08:44 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
You can find the sold listing in advanced search - photos clearly show the restoration work needed. As others have requested, please post photos before and after. Greatly appreciated!

Post 13 Aug 2022, 15:05 • #8 
Guide
The rod arrived today (very fast shipping for USPS!) but the ferrule plug is missing. Seller is looking for it.
Even though all of these rods are stamped with the date code FHJ, I’ve now noticed two distinct variations. This one (#1) has a very narrow 1/8” fully knurled locking screw ring, another (#62 and all higher numbers) has a 1/2” locking ring that looks like two knurled bands with a smooth groove between them.
The early ones also have a short threaded tube and the later ones have a long threaded tube.

New Topic Add Reply