It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Jul 2022, 14:18 • #1 
I am curious how you all with larger collections keep track of what you have and it’s condition and attributes.

As a professional rod builder I will buy up just about any rod I come across for the right price, regardless of condition. Because of that I have “way too many fly rods” -Spouse’s opinion not mine, ha. I don’t want these to be confused with my business rod inventory in case something happens to me, etc, so I don’t want to include them in my business or on the books as inventory.

When I had 5-10 I did fine with a little notebook. Now I find myself flipping through it confused and searching. I am thinking of doing the hanging tags numbered, and that number corresponds to a spreadsheet that details all the attributes of the rod. Has anyone else done this, or is there a better way to do it and label the rods? Side bonus, on a spreadsheet the details of what I paid for them are less readily available than a notebook on the desk! :lol

Edit to add: What attributes are you tracking?

Post 27 Jul 2022, 16:08 • #2 
Administrator
I use Excel. Any spreadsheet program will do. I track the rod maker (company), model number, serial number (if the rod has one), length, line weight, number of rod sections, whether the rod has a bag and tube, the condition, and comments about the rod, such as bad varnish or ceramic stripping guides. I have not needed numbered hang tags. Having a good storage space is a bigger issue.

If you keep your personal rods separate from inventory, it is still good to track the financial aspects. In that regard, I track what I paid for the rod plus shipping (if I know), when I purchased the rod (or at least when I listed it in inventory), and a selling plus shipping price, if applicable. The dates and prices are important if you sell the rods apart from your business. Those sales would be listed on your taxes as potential capital gains.

Tom

Post 27 Jul 2022, 18:41 • #3 
Luckily I have my office for storage, although I could use some more rack space! I had forgot to include amount of sections and that is definitely necessary. Appreciate the feedback.

Post 27 Jul 2022, 23:06 • #4 
Master Guide
I use an excel spreadsheet similar to Tom’s with relevant specifics of each rod and also add columns for which line and reel it pairs best with.

A second spreadsheet is for reels and along with their relevant details I include which line it holds and also the weight in grams (fully loaded) which really helps when picking a match for a new rod.

Post 28 Jul 2022, 08:05 • #5 
Guadalupe Bass wrote:
A second spreadsheet is for reels and along with their relevant details I include which line it holds and also the weight in grams (fully loaded) which really helps when picking a match for a new rod.

Excellent idea!

Post 28 Jul 2022, 11:45 • #6 
Guide
I just use a word doc for what others are doing with spreadsheets. Will think about switching -- but inertia will likely prevent it. I also use the doc to keep up with some commentary on the accumulated fly lines in addition to rods and reels: this one needs a better cleaning, that one needs a new leader butt, this one has a pretty serious nick in the coating 10' from tip, that one with no visible label on it is olive and gold and it's a XYZ 5 wt floater or whatever, etc. when i had 5 lines i could remember all that, and at 10 maybe, but last count we had 2 dozen or more -- and truthfully some of the older, used/usable ones might not ever get used. (From time to time i collect them and give them to an appropriate charity.)

Post 28 Jul 2022, 12:32 • #7 
Guide
Only tracking Fenwicks at moment.
Using Excel and working with the Wiki as the baseline. I added rows for versions, weights,pcs, price, shipping and tax. Then my own notes. I usually highlight any difference between my collection and the Wiki. Eventually going to add serial numbers and attempt to track the various production changes. Got a few odd balls that could of been just factory mistakes. Like hook keepers on the left side instead of underneath. I am a lefty of course. The ones on top do not bother me as much.

Too many other spinning, ice fishing and bait casters that I just do not track. Just grab whatever 1/2 dozen mixed and matched I think I need that day and toss them in the car.

Post 28 Jul 2022, 13:59 • #8 
Guide
I use the same system as Guadalupe Bass and update as necessary....seems to work for me.
Carl

Post 29 Jul 2022, 11:50 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I keep an MS Excel spreadsheet.

I track: manufacturer, model, date purchased, purchase amount, who purchased from, date sold, sale anount, who sold to.

New Topic Add Reply