It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:32

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Jul 2022, 20:14 • #1 
Guide
Did Fenwick actually increase the stiffness/ action of these early rods it just relabel? My recently acquired earlier series FF80, FF85 and FF 84 all seem to be labeled one line wt less than or or only the lowest wt than what is listed in the Wiki. Acknowledging that 5wt is the lowest label ever used except maybe one semi-custom three piece.

Post 27 Jul 2022, 06:49 • #2 
Master Guide
It depends. Certain models like the FF80 axtually changed tapers during production with earlier examples being marked as a 6wt (or thereabouts) and later examples being marked as 7-8wt rods. Those would actually be entirely different tapers.

On the other hand, many rods tapers didnt change (atleast officially) but the markings did over time.

Then ofcourse, you have to consider that some of us like these rods with lines lighter or heavier than marked.

Most fenwicks are great rods, but you really dont know what line youll like until you try it out.

Post 27 Jul 2022, 19:32 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
What he said- "It depends"
And I've found that my opinion of what line goes on one these old rods and the opinion of others (often including whoever rated them for the factory) are not always the same. Any "new to me" rod I simply disregard the labeled rating and start with a DT6, then adjust. After all there never has been any accepted method or standard of rating rods. Some expert casts a prototype and says "I really like this rod with an "XY" weight line, but I think a poor caster could get this rod to work with a "XX" wt line so they put "XX" on the label"
I've owned rods that I went a line weight or two to like the rod and I've owned rods that I went down a line weight or two, but most rods will handle at least three different line weights well enough.
And it may not matter.
As we extend line past the end of taper mark about every 4-5' of line increases the line mass in use by another line weight, so that carrying 60' of #5 line is about the same rod load as carrying 30' of #10 line. And none of my lines load the rod as much as a 3# bass.

New Topic Add Reply