It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:26

New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Jul 2022, 11:23 • #1 
Sport
First of all thanks to everybody who participates on this site,
I can’t believe that 1975 was almost 50 years ago, anyways I’ve been hanging onto this rod for many decades, I’m going to try to post some pictures but now that I’m getting a little long in the tooth, and I haven’t used it in 30 years I’m thinking about passing it on, it’s a, Fenwick FL 102–6 built by Stephen Wright in 1975, it was given to me in 95,

Anybody have an idea of what it may be worth, thanks for your input in advance

Post 25 Jul 2022, 12:20 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Value is really subjective :) An 8.5 ft rod is a bit longer that most like, and a 6wt is a really utility line, so a very useful rod, but no real value. $40 to $100 depending on the phase of the moon and the daily average humidity.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 15:07 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I think that's the same model pictured in the first post here, and several others in this very thorough thread about the Fenwick blanks of the era. viewtopic.php?p=124703#p124703

To me, that blank builds into one of best fiberglass "river rods" as I call them, whether compared to others of its time, or similar 'glass configurations today. I have a couple others I like slightly better, but I don't miss them when fishing the Fenwick,

Hobbyists and small-shop builders made them into fine rods according the user's taste and hardware preferences. In the mid 1970s, many would have been fitted with aluminum Sizematic ferrules. About that time they started to come with a fiberglass sleeve ferrule fitted at the factory as well. Would be curious what ferrule type yours was built with.

You have an excellent rod. Nevertheless, magic is right on with his estimate. Rods built from blanks are typically worth what one might pay for a new old stock blank, maybe a little more if the build is appealing for its hardware or cosmetics, maybe less because they take work to rebuild to the new owner's liking.

Maybe you would enjoy fishing it; that won't substantially change its modest value, and it won't owe you anything for the enjoyment it provides.

New Topic Add Reply