It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:32

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Jul 2022, 17:01 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Here's the big brother to the very popular 6'8"
St Croix Ultra Light. I've had both rods and truly like this rod slightly more, if memory serves. Feels like the tip not quite as soft as that on the 6'8". Wish I hadn't sold the 6'8" so I could do a direct comparison. It shows a recommended line weight of 7, but I've found it to cast great with lines from 4 through 7. Probably be fine with an 8, but haven't tried one yet. Rod weight shows
3 3/8 ozs, but most of the weight seems to be concentrated towards the butt end with a heavier reel seat and cork than the 6'8" rod. Should say the tip is light, but not soft. Surprised me how well it would cast a four weight line with only a couple feet of line out.

Barry

Post 19 Jul 2022, 17:24 • #2 
Master Guide
Wow what a beautiful rod, how many years old is it?

Post 19 Jul 2022, 17:37 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Sean,

Sorry I don't know, but we have some St Croix experts here that might be able to supply the manufacturing dates.

Beautiful rod, only thing I don't care for is the previous owner put some sort of preservative on the cork which makes cleaning difficult.

Post 20 Jul 2022, 16:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Nice. I know a river with a bunch of smallmouth, that rod would be fun there!

Post 20 Jul 2022, 19:02 • #5 
Guide
Very cool.... similar to an 8' 6,7 wt commemorative black rod I sold to a fishing buddy, a St Croix.

In a similar vein, but somewhat off-subject....the St Croix Imperial 7' 3 wt in their graphite series is one of the best rods St Croix has produced, IMHO. I will never get rid of the one I have left...a 2 piece, feels almost like glass. I sold them for about $140 back in the day....great small stream, or even out of a tube on the lakes

New Topic Add Reply