It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Jul 2022, 19:13 • #1 
Guide
Hi All,

Thought I'd share a bit of a 'first take' of a new to me St. Croix 7090 XXL 6'8" purchased off the big auction site. Have had it out two afternoons on suburban retention ponds, it may be the 'most fun with a fish on' rod I've had since some Redington Classic Trout 3 weights I had a few years back. It really makes average and small fish feel like they are punching above their weight class.

I'm still trying to figure out what line I like with it, fished with a S/A Infinity 4 weight (4.5 really) and it really showed off the nimble character of the rod. Then in the back yard I put on a true 6 weight line and liked that as well, perhaps the rod lost some of its light and airy essence though. That being said a 6 weight line matches better with the flies I throw. I'll keep experimenting with it.

Quite a marvel of engineering to get a rod of that vintage that light. I don't have a scale to validate the stated rod weight but I wouldn't be surprised if it's accurate.

Any St. Croix experts care to venture a guess what timeframe this one was produced?

Post 09 Jul 2022, 10:38 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I think St Croix got it right early on with making glass rods light.I have an 8 and 9 wtz and they are light for their size.I have a little 6 foot Herters that is wispy little thing but the guides are badly worn and did not know until the line would hang up at times. .I just dont have the heart or skills and would butcher the rod replacing them.It is a pretty little fly rod.I just acquired a 5 foot UL xx something St Croix spinning rod that you could probably fling little fly jigs on.Might take that 9wt bass fishing but i think it is intended as a Great Lakes region salmon rod.I run across a lot of wonderods heddons St croix etc as i live near the bottom of Lake Michigan and these are fairly common.

Post 09 Jul 2022, 11:33 • #3 
Guide
‘70s rod.

I would guess early-mid ‘70s based on amber blank, gold oval encompassing Imperial badge, brown wraps and grip style.

The 7090XL series had decades long production run with very few changes. The most significant change was to the unidirectional amber blanks sometime in the ‘60s. The early 7090XL with brown blank, burgundy/white wraps, larger grip have a more subtle action.

Post 09 Jul 2022, 12:46 • #4 
Master Guide
Hey Russ
Check this thread on the XXl’s from awhile back
Some good info..
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58063
Our rods would be mid 70s before they went to the glass ferrule in 79

I just picked up the same version Xxl as yours from AngryViking (Thanks Gary!!)

I’m rocking mine with a lil Tica fish master 105 reel

For me it takes anything from a 6wt down to a 4wf.
Experimented with various 4wts gpx/mpx/magnum taper, Northern Sport aqua nova wf4, eagle claw wf4. Cortland 333wf4
But it liked the Cortland 444 modern trout line out long and the Sa Magnum taper in close.

I’m dailing 5wts this weekend..
Russ let me know what 6wt you think is the Goldilocks

Hersh ..
can post up that Herter’s rod ?
I wanna see that lil guy .
All the herters rods I’ve gotten are the montague/tru temper made ones
You need to get one of these lil St Croix’s on fly version .
I wonder how different the spin versions are from the fly blanks ?

I have a lil st croix 7ft graphite rod that has a similar grip and slip rings . It’s somewhere In
The rod dungeon :lol

Russ you ready to start the Croix Boy club? :lol
I’m Looking forward to seeing yours in action
Cheers Scotto

Post 10 Jul 2022, 10:26 • #5 
Guide
Wow, thank you for all the information everyone! Yes I'm definitely in the Croix boy fan club, really enjoying the rod.

Was able to get out yesterday (3 days in a row fishing is a treat) and hit one of the local ponds with the rod lined up with my beloved S/A Frequency Intermediate 6 wt (36' head and 160 grain weight) and straight 3-4 feet of 3X tippet. Flies were in the size 6-10 range and the rod felt great. Caught tons of gills and small bass, moved a couple of legitimately big bass but unfortunately they didn't commit.

For medium to short casts I really liked this combination, especially with the breezy and refreshing NE wind we had yesterday.

New Topic Add Reply