It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:22

New Topic Add Reply
Scratched ferrule advice
Post 04 Jun 2022, 10:35 • #1 
Guide
I recently purchased a multipiece rod and received it with the top male ferrule portion having several fairly deep scratches. Any advice on my options?:
Can I cast and fish it as is or will the repeated cyclic stresses cause the scratches to develop cracks that will spread?
Are there mitigation methods that are recommended? e.g. a thin coating of epoxy? replace the male ferrule? Return the rod to the seller?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Andy

Post 04 Jun 2022, 11:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Is that a spigot or tip over ? I cant tell and with no size reference the magnification may make the damage look worse than it is.

Post 04 Jun 2022, 11:25 • #3 
Guide
It's a spigot. The scratches are deep enough that I can readily feel them when I run my fingernail over them lightly. I think it looks worse in person - I tried to show the worst area in the photo but there is additional scratching. This is the top ferrule on a 5 piece 8.5 ft rod.

Post 04 Jun 2022, 14:47 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Personally I don't think I'd worry much about it, if it fits snug when clean and assembled and doesn't rotate when casting, I can't see how using it would make it worse. My thoughts are that if fitting well the female acts as a support sleeve.
But I'll admit that I've not experienced that sort of scratching, on a part that small, so that means I'm guessing.

Post 04 Jun 2022, 17:05 • #5 
Guide
I don't really think it is any issue with that spigot. If you are really worried, then a couple of coats of permagloss in the scratches and then lightly dress to original OD. What would be of concern to me is WHAT caused those scratches, is it something possibly inbedded in the female receiving end of the rod making it happen. The shape of the scratches to me looks like it was turned to seat in either the assembly or dissembly of the sections. Also keep in mind that that is very little surface contact area as opposed to the overall contact area when assembled.

Post 04 Jun 2022, 18:04 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I second SWCR's opinion. I would clean both male and female with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Something probably got on the ferrule one time when someone was tightening it, something like a grain of sand.

Fiberglass is pretty tough stuff. I wouldn't worry much. If the rod was described as new or in excellent condition (and I paid for a new/ec rod) I would probably complain, but used rods are just that, used.

We can't see the details from the picture, but I have much worse on some of my fenwicks and don't think twice about it.

Post 05 Jun 2022, 19:06 • #7 
Guide
Thanks all for the advice. I'll go ahead and clean the male and female ferrules and as long as I don't find any embedded debris keep and fish the rod. That's what I was hoping to hear, in all of my years fishing I've never had a scratched up ferrule like this before. I broke a ferrule once, but that's another story. I agree it does look like this one had some sand or other particles get trapped in the ferrule during assembly and will complain to the seller that it's definitely not new or mint, but I still want the rod.

Post 06 Jun 2022, 06:22 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
speck - I'm still a bit confused about your photo. Is that the male portion of the spigot itself or is it the end of the female rod section that goes on the smaller diameter spigot? It looks rather long to be the spigot. Either way you'll probably be ok but if the scratches are on the section that slides on the spigot, there are no reinforcing wraps to prevent splitting which isn't ideal.

Post 06 Jun 2022, 08:39 • #9 
Guide
The photo is the male portion of the spigot. The female portion does have reinforcing wraps as does the blank where the male is inserted. I'll see if I can get a better photo this evening.

Post 06 Jun 2022, 12:40 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Ah. OK, got it. If the spigot is solid or even if it's hollow I doubt that strength would be affected. Especially since the scratched portion is covered and supported by the female.

New Topic Add Reply