It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:25

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 May 2022, 20:44 • #1 
Master Guide
Reading these forums for the last few years, has really got me interested in fiberglass rods and I have been wanting to try out a few rods that have received positive posts over the years. I recently picked up a couple of Pro-Crest rods - a 7.5 1-619-1 and a 8' 1-620-1 that will be great 5wt options, but I was still looking for a shorter and lighter Shakespeare and was also interested in some Phillipson offerings - as the Phillipson rods seem to have quite a following. I saw this 7.5' Abercrombie & Fitch Yellowstone and the seller offered a nice discount that I responded to.

It arrived in the mail Friday afternoon, but I have not been able to get out fishing with some commitments over the weekend. I did get to play with it a bit with a 5 DT line, a 6 WF and what seems to be a heavy 7 DT line that weighs 12g on my digital scale (does not measure in 0.1g). This rod did very well with the old Ultra 6WF and what may be a 333 6wt DT line that seems like a true 7wt. Anyway, very excited to get this out on the water and fish it and wanted to share a few photos. It seemed to balance best with a Medalist 1495 not the 1494 pictured.

From what I have read in searching the previous forum posts and from what the rod looks like - this appears to be a Phillipson built rod sold by A&F. It has metal ferrules and it was very very nice to cast.

If anyone knows based on the approximate year this rod would have been produced based on font and ferrules - I would love to know. Thanks!

Post 01 Jun 2022, 09:06 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It looks like a mid 60s rod. By 1970, they switched away from the metal ferrule, and early 60's rods were usually not painted.

Post 01 Jun 2022, 21:30 • #3 
Sport
Nice looking rod love the color.I have a couple of 7’ Phillipson rods with tip over butt ferrule great rods.
Hope you enjoy yours.

Best,
Mike

Post 02 Jun 2022, 11:11 • #4 
Master Guide
Thank you Carlz for the info on date time, nice to know I have a rod that is as old as me that I am fishing with.

Thank you SNOWDOG - it is a nice looking rod and casts extremely well. Have a couple of lines coming in 6DT and 6WF to try it out on it.

Post 21 Jul 2022, 21:18 • #5 
Master Guide
Very nice combo! I like those metal ferrule Phillipsons. My Fly Fox, GFM66 and Pacemakers are such sweet casters you are going to really enjoy that rod.

Post 22 Jul 2022, 07:37 • #6 
Master Guide
I have that same rod. It will be interesting to see what line you end up liking on it---sadly, I never found one that seemed totally right. I never figured out what year it was made, but Oldsmobile had that same color in the late 50's (just kidding). I hope the rod works well for you.
midmofly

Post 22 Jul 2022, 10:19 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks midmofly,

I have purchased a peach 444 6wt DT that I am likely going to be using on it. Have not had the opportunity to take this out as I went on a bit of a flurry of collecting some vintage glass rods and have been using the lighter weight ones (FY-A310 Wonderod, Pro-Crest 7.5 & 8'), and the water has been low and warm around here with little rain and hotter than normal temps. I will report back though. I did try it with a 6WF and a 5DT, but think that the peach 6wt DT will be the best fit for trout fishing.

Need to get out on the water to confirm though. Heading to the coast for the week and bringing a graphite 8wt I built on a Pac Bay blank 20 years ago for a bone fishing trip, a TFO Pro 10wt, and hopefully if the UPS truck shows up today - maybe a 8wt 3pc Wonderod from the mid-60's for some schoolie stripers (and hopefully a bit bigger).

Have a good weekend,

Pete

New Topic Add Reply