It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 May 2022, 18:43 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Can someone tell me when the "Golden Shadow" graphite rods were being made by The Leonard Rod Co. Or any other information that you may have about these rods would be appreciated. How many years and or what years they were made, models, values etc. Thank you in advance.
Mark

Post 30 May 2022, 02:09 • #2 
Administrator
Leonard sold the Golden Shadows after the ill fated Graftek rods. The Golden Shadows are listed in Scott Roederer's The Compleat Angler's Catalog from 1985*. At that time, there were 11 GS rods from 7 to 9 feet long. There were 5 or 6 weights at each rod length and also a 7 foot 4 weight and a 9 foot 8 weight. The book does not list model numbers, only the rod lengths and line weights. I have a vague recollection the Golden Shadows were reputed to be from REC/Diamondback. I don't know how many years they were sold.

Roederer's book also lists HL Leonard Sterling graphite rods, in a larger variety of line weights and lengths. They were a bit less expensive than the Golden Shadows (I don't recall them at all).

Golden Shadows aren't common. The name alone draws attention. Don't expect to pay low ball prices.

Tom

* This is a very handy reference book for a snap shot of the entire fly fishing market in the mid 80s.

Post 30 May 2022, 06:07 • #3 
Master Guide
Just to add to what Tom stated:

The Leonard Golden Shadows were Diamondback rolled blanks, but at the same time Diamondback also had a Golden Shadow, they look almost identical, twins of each other, just labeling differences. I cannot say if the tapers were the same, but I would suspect very little differences. Diamondback did a decent amount of 3rd party work over the years when they were running in Vermont.

Post 30 May 2022, 08:46 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
"OK" Thanx!

Post 30 May 2022, 17:02 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I learned something here. I knew of the Diamondback Golden Shadow rods but did not know that Leonard also built rods around them.

New Topic Add Reply