It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:09

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 May 2022, 08:30 • #1 
Guide
Just acquired this early 1980’s Browning rod. Marked as 3,4,5,6 weight which is unusual. There are two tips. One lighter with normally spaced guides. Then a heavier taper one with the first tip guide placed very close to the ferrule as if to protect it n case of bigger lines. Assuming the first is for 3/4 wt and the second for 5/6 wt.

Post 26 May 2022, 09:03 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds interesting, and a nice rod to have along when you have different waters handy. Hope you can give us a report on its successes.

Post 26 May 2022, 14:29 • #3 
Guide
Will d. I don’t 5brow 3/4 weights often but will find a need.

Post 26 May 2022, 17:44 • #4 
Administrator
Trouterbass wrote:
Just acquired this early 1980’s Browning rod. Marked as 3,4,5,6 weight which is unusual. There are two tips. One lighter with normally spaced guides. Then a heavier taper one with the first tip guide placed very close to the ferrule as if to protect it n case of bigger lines. Assuming the first is for 3/4 wt and the second for 5/6 wt.

Not necessarily. I have a Browning 122981 boron fiber rod, with a single tip section. Mine is also 8 foot long, but marked for 6, 7, 8, 9 weight lines at 2.7 oz rod weight. Yes, the rod will cast all four line weights. My rod is painted a darker brown than yours, but the rod building style and oversized ferrule sleeves are the same. Near as I can tell, these were marketed in the early 80s.

Boron rods can generate scary line speed. With my Browning, the 6 and 7 weight lines actually whistled through the air as they went by my ear (think twice about barbed hooks...) Extreme line speed isn't necessarily what you want with light lines. Definitely test cast your outfit on the water before taking it to your favorite trout stream.

Tom

Post 26 May 2022, 18:27 • #5 
Guide
I willget out some lines and try in the yard tomorrow. So far I am just guessing.

New Topic Add Reply