It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:28

New Topic Add Reply
Need help with ID.
Post 10 May 2022, 18:45 • #1 
Sport

Does anyone recognize this tubular fiberglass rod? I am curious to know the maker. It is 7.5’ one tip. Reddish brown blank with gold and black jasper nylon windings, gold reel seat, 6 inch grip. Hook keeper, one small stripper, six snakes and tip top. Chromed ferrules. label on shaft mostly worn off but I can read the word “tubular”. More pics.

It casts 60 feet of DT6F very nicely on the lawn even with a broken stripper.

Re: Need help with ID.
Post 11 May 2022, 05:57 • #2 
Piscator
Tubular Glass was a Moniker from the '50s, to distinguish new blanks from earlier solid glass.
Noteworthy, South Bend used the name HoloGlas - my mind was trying to turn the red patch at the left into the Gladding-era SB logo, but nothing fits about the rod. (Conolon used Live Fiber).
Brands that wrote Tubular Glass on their blanks include ActionRod, Heddon, and Berkley.

The reel seat could be Berkley. Heddon also used similar reel seats. Red Berkley heart at left of label?

Post 11 May 2022, 08:24 • #3 
Master Guide
The seat and ferrules look South Bend to me, based on the couple I've had in hand.

Post 11 May 2022, 10:43 • #4 
Sport

Thanks fellas. Your info helps me narrow my search. I picked it up at a local household auction here in central PA. The original owner was a blue collar guy who would likely have bought through a catalogue or a local hardware store. It came with the heavy duty auto reel pictured. If originally purchased as a combo, the reel might help with ID. Reel marked on its foot “made in USA”. That is all. I am surprised by how well it casts a DT6. Shoots line with real authority. Really appreciate your help. John B.

Post 11 May 2022, 14:08 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Good! Keep up the sleuth work and sooner or later you will spot a logo/label that helps recognize that image. Fittings such as the reel seat, ferrules, and winding check, sourced from other suppliers, were often common to several brands produced by the same final assembler (usually the blank manufacturer), but also on rods from different manufacturers. Pre-matched combos were a less common item at the time, but likely matches from the same source might be a promising lead-- Sears or Montgomery Wards, for example.

As an incidental point, the grip has been cleaned, and thus possibly repaired or reshaped, so like the hardware, it may not be definitive in comparing to possible matching rods of known make.

Also, no surprise at all that a 7'6" fiberglass--known or unknown brand--rod performs well. That is a wheelhouse configuration for the material. Hard to produce a really bad one, hard to produce a great one, but easy to produce a good one, and that type lead to the popularity of fiberglass rods at very modest prices for a wide variety of fishing. Most in a moderate action rod will perform well.

Post 11 May 2022, 14:33 • #6 
Sport
Whirlpool. Funny you should notice the grip had been cleaned. You’re very perceptive. I cleaned the grip and shaft 5 minutes before taking the pictures. The rod and attached reel were tucked away in the rafters of a tumble down garage probably since the 1970s as that is when the property was purchased by the former owners, since deceased. The reel still has a silk line spooled. Anyway, the outfit was coated in decades of black grime - dust, cobwebs, engine exhaust, you name it. Hence the cleaning. A local Amishman bought the entire contents of the garage for less than 200 bucks. I offered him a few bucks each for this rod/reel and a bamboo rod, which he readily accepted after a few wiggles. Life is good.

Post 11 May 2022, 14:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, that grip has been well cleaned or replaced. Kind of a modern shape to it.
South Bend used that thread quite a bit, but any maker could have used it.

Good luck with your search.

Post 16 May 2022, 14:40 • #8 
I would bet that the rod is a Heddon .

D.~

Post 19 May 2022, 21:14 • #9 
Sport
To close the loop on this rod, the preponderance of the evidence suggests South Bend as the maker. This is based on:
1. Your thoughts and suggestions.
2. The auto reel that came attached to the rod. I should have mentioned earlier that there was another identical rod and reel combo at the same sale. That combo was damaged so I did not purchase it. However it suggests the previous owner acquired the two combos together as Rod and reel packages, not as separate items.
I have since identified the auto reel as a South Bend model 1140, suggesting that the rod too is a South Bend product.
Thanks again for your help. JB.

New Topic Add Reply