It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:24

New Topic Add Reply
Constable Sceptre Midge
Post 10 May 2022, 11:56 • #1 
Guide
So I "think" one of these may have come into my possession. Its a 6'3" rod, with a Garrison style cork grip and reel seat. The blank is a lovely dark brown, white spigot ferrule and 9 eyes total, but with no markings whatsoever on the rod. Looks like a Fisher or Hardy blank. It came in an older plastic tube labeled Anglers Mail in Cleveland OH, with the handwritten words "Constable Spectre (sp?) Midge" Feels like a 4/5 in my hands.

Research shows that Anglers Mail would be the outfitter that marketed these rods and the blank would have been made by Hardy. Lots of pics of Sceptres here and most have markings on the rod. Not much talk of the 6'3" Midge other then that a rod fitting that description did appear in an Angers Mail catalogue at one point.

Anyone else have a Sceptre with no markings or a payed around with the 6"3" Midge?

Post 10 May 2022, 13:41 • #2 
Administrator
The Sceptre blanks were made by Hardy's FibaTube group. I don't know it the tapers were proprietary to Angler's Mail. Fisher set up the FibaTube operation for Hardy, using Fisher's technology and expertise.

Anglers Mail sold blanks also. I don't have a listing of their blanks, but a deep search into the depths of the forum should find some information.

Tom

Post 23 May 2022, 21:33 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Per Todd Larson’s book Fourteen Sticks of Glass, the Sceptre tapers were proprietary to Anglersmail but put together by Hardy/Fibatube in a factory essentially built for them by Fisher. The Constable Sceptres are essentially the same as the Anglersmail blanks, the Hardy tapers are not. Much more information is in the book.

I’ve not had that particular rod but Anglersmail Sceptre’s with no markings are the norm, I’ve had one Sceptre blank that came with a Fibatube label on it. I think one would have to have a series of Anglersmail catalogues to put together all the models that were made. Enjoy it!

Post 24 May 2022, 08:52 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The also sold kits and building supplies. Someone could buy the components to replicate the style. Either way, the blank would be a Sceptre.

Post 27 May 2022, 12:45 • #5 
Guide
Thanks for the info fellas. After close inspection I think I have one of the Constable Scepter blanks that came pre fitted with a grip and reel seat. This one got nicely finished out though. I have it paired with a CFO III and an Orvis 5wt Superfine fly line.

Post 29 May 2022, 22:06 • #6 
Sport
Hello, I have a Sceptre 7 foot two piece rod I think is a custom from Angler's mail. There is small script just above the grip that reads something like, Sceptre FL -84 -1 7' 0 not exactly but close to that. small India ink. hard to see. Look closely at your blank 1 inch above the grip. You may just find it is marked. I hope so ! My rod also has four small characters that look like symbols or characters perpendicular to the axis of the blank.. also very hard to read. It features the small all aluminum downlock reelseat. It also has a half wells grip with a angled flat cut into the front of the grip. I think this rod was made for or by a tournament caster in the mid to late '70's very well done wrapped in dark brown with a cream colored tipping. I read the article about the great caster Dick Fujita and his association with Angler's Mail and in my small but very hopeful mind. of course I want him to be the maker of this little 7ft - 4 - 5 wt rod.

Post 18 Oct 2022, 21:37 • #7 
Master Guide
I built one of these 6'3" Anglers Mail Sceptre blanks out and it is a fine rod for small creeks. I only regret that I did not buy any more of these blanks at the time!

Post 19 Oct 2022, 15:21 • #8 
Sport
Scepter blanks are very very good.

Post 17 Nov 2023, 21:14 • #9 
Sport
I have the Anglers Mail catalogs with all the sceptre listings if anyone needs info

New Topic Add Reply