It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Mar 2022, 10:47 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Yesterday was the Maryland Fly Fishing Collectibles show. I know the show was a challenge for the organizers, but it turned out great. There was a ton of bamboo, lots of great tiers, guides, and at least a bit of Glass.

As Rappidan (short tip) told me, these shows are like a Potlatch. Everyone shows up and the rods keep moving from one person to another.

My highlight was having ZeppoVA keep me company at my table and having Ottobahn come buy. Ottobahn has more vintage glass than I do. And he was able to pick up a few rods from me. In potlatch fassion, Ottobahn is now the owner of:
  • Ratface McDougal's prized Philipson R76 which was refinished by the Glassmaster
  • An LL Bean rod that is very similar to an FR-2000 that I purchased from Glassngrass at Heritage Days at the Allenberry quite a few years ago
  • A Johnson Executive travel rod with genuine Faux Leather case, which he suspects is a true-temper based on the hossel and scrim
  • a 7' FR2000
  • one other rod that I can't quite remember.
and of course this money helped me pay for a new rod from Rapidan (a Scott 7' 5pc 4wt)
What comes around, goes around.

The other neat stalls were Hoagy Charmichael who had some gorgous reels. Per Brandin was showing off his rods, but of course, even if you had the money, you couldn't buy one because his waiting list has been closed for years.

Rapidan's stall had some great rods and a ton of hardy reels there, including a Burkheimer rod on a Peak blank. and his booth mate had a great FF-756-4 that I almost picked up.

McFarland's booth had a bunch of rods available for wiggle and test casting, from Tailwinds, GTX, Spruce-Creek, and blanks available for sale. He also has a Wojnicki 7wt for sale (it almost tempted me). And Bob Hallowell (BobHa) had his bamboo rods there. I know he had a lot of interest in his glass ferruled bamboo. And his rods are always a joy to cast.

My table was sandwiched between two bamboo builders, and I had a lot of people interested in my medalists, heddon's and reels that didn't cost as much as those Hardy's that the other booths were selling. I sold an inexpensive Eagle Claw, Hardy clone that someone was going to put a silk line on and fish on his bamboo rods.

I would love to hear what other folks thought of the show.

Post 20 Mar 2022, 13:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Always a great show, Carl, and thanks for the review. I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it - first one I have missed. Hope to see you in a few weeks.

Post 20 Mar 2022, 15:13 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Duff,
I'm thankful you weren't there. You seem to be my enabler. ZeppoVA tries, but doesn't quite have the voice. "You neeeed that rod"

Post 20 Mar 2022, 20:01 • #4 
Guide
My enabling skills are subtle.

It was fun to be there and nice to put some faces and real names with screen handles.

Gotta say - Per Brandin rods are just f'incredible with a feel that one has to experience. I offered to buy his lunch in exchange for a rod but, well … nothing ventured nothing gained. :(

Post 20 Mar 2022, 20:24 • #5 
It's always a pleasure spending time with other members of the tackle tribe. I think that's the best feature of these shows and gatherings.

Great to see CarlZ and his posse, all the other vendors and to reconnect with many of the attendees. I sold a few rods and bought a bag of reels including a Hardy-built CFO III, a St. John, a few Abel Big Game reels, and an Orvis Madison (Pf 1494). And many thanks to CarlZ, I was able to re-acquire my Medalist 1495 with the solid Voss counterweighted spool, just in time for shad and river run rockfish.

I think the attendance was pretty good and interest was high. This show has the highest proportion of vintage and "alternative" tackle of any I'm aware of.

Post 21 Mar 2022, 06:47 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry to have missed this event. I was just down the road a couple of hours fishing in SNP. Between fishing and trying to look for a new home to move to in Va. I couldn't seem to find the time to drive north to the show. Perhaps next year. :)
I'll report on the trout fishing after I get home to Bozeman so I can post a few photos or so. Currently in Nebraska driving back home.

Post 21 Mar 2022, 19:12 • #7 
Guide
I too was sorry to miss this show. However, I did have the good fortune of picking up an old bamboo rod from Wayne Grauer, one of the shows organizers, a week beforehand. Wayne is such a nice guy. It makes me very happy to hear that the show was a success. Hope to make it next year.

Post 21 Mar 2022, 21:48 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
7 hours is not enough for the quality of this show (9AM- 4PM). Needs to move to a 2 day event !
Please let the show organizers know like I have !!

Pecos

Post 23 Mar 2022, 02:05 • #9 
Master Guide
I hadn’t been to the Maryland fly show since when it used to be at the Md state fairgrounds.

Now I’ve got no excuse it’s held in the next town up i95 from me ..

Been buggin Carlz about a few of his rods for like over a year.
Like this Johnson profile 400 and the lil 7ft Cortland Fr2000 asymmetrical taper (it’s so sweet)

We were supposed to meet up at this show in October but it was pushed back.

I was so stoked to finally meet up last weekend at Carlz booth.
His table was chocked full of all kinds of goodness and goodwill .
His hype man/sales associate Zeppo-Va was in full effect . ( I wanna fish with these guys!!)

I impulse bought this minty fresh Johnson executive 4pc in its orginal Geniune/faux pleather case.

I had been dying to get my hands on this LL bean/Cortland rod ever since Carlz told me about it .
I’m a super east coast rod geek so the Ny/Maine connection just speaks to me .
It’s a beautiful rod with incredible action.
I love the almost a burgundy blank it’s not brown like the fr2000 rods .
It’s kinda got a color that reminds me of the Berkley Parametrics color .
It’s very cool also that this rod was once owned by member grassnglass.
Well fellas I can guarantee you this rod has found it’s last home.

I am also honored to be the proud owner of Ratface’s Phillipson R76 that was redone by The Glassmaster ..

I will dedicate a post in more detail about this very special rod.

I had a great time at the show learning about Hardy reels from Mr Hoagy Carmichael.
Got to check out the Hardy/Abercrombie & Fitch “silent check” reel that came in the Banty kit .
I would have bought it for my banty ,
but I blew all my cash at Carlz table. lol

Got to check out a lot of cool bamboo rods at the show.
I hung out over at the Gunpowder River Rods booth chatting with Doug the owner for a hot minute.
Very nice rods indeed

There was one bamboo builder who had a really cool old stress/flex chart from like 1923 of a Parabolic rod.

My buddy Ken and myself got lots of intel on some new spots up Western Maryland.
(That alone was worth the admission price)

It was also super neat to see Rappidan’s complete set of Hardy/Scientific Anglers system reels . He even had the huge salmon Sa system reel.
I scored a couple of vintage lines and few boxes from his diverse selection

Oh and Carlz I’m buying that 4pc fenwick from Rappidans booth mate..

I was down to my last $40 ,when I walked by this beautiful Presidential Gold Cup rod 8.5ft 8wt Wonderod
Seller was negotiable on price he said.
I told him my sob story of Carlz taking all my money.
Mr Stan took pity on such an addicted angler such as myself ,so he took the offer of my last $40

When I brought it home and dated it it just happened to be made my birth year of 1970 .
Super score !!
I left the show a lil early to take my buddy Ken back to his house to coach his daughters game. ( he scored a sweet featherlight rod)

I swung by my house to grab some rods came back to the show to take Zeppo-Va fishing but he had already left to go back to Va .next time for sure…

I stayed til close & watched Carlz gear for him as he packed up .
Carlz and Mike McFarland were looking for a place to get some Maryland seafood .
I sent them to a joint that serves the best crab cakes in the uppper Chesapeake.
Hopefully they had a great meal so when I call Mike to get one his blanks maybe I get a discount .

Before I bounced ,I took the time to say a big thank you to Mr Wayne Grauer for putting this show on .

We’ll get the word out for next year so hopefully we get a serious contingent of “glass heads” to meet up .

Til next year..

Post 28 May 2023, 17:38 • #10 
Guide
2022 was great.

I sole Princess w/extra spool to Hoagy .

I missed this year(2023) due to health problems.

Looking forward to 2024.

New Topic Add Reply